1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Gen 5 2023 Toyota Prius cars show up at the dealers!

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s just crazy. You basically can’t get any of those Toyotas here in Ontario. They go to Quebec or British Columbia because those provinces have zero emission quotas the manufacturers have to reach, or there are hefty charges.

And Ontario doesn’t get subsidies at the provincial level, only from the federal govt. so it’s not nearly as appealing to buy a phev or bhev. Though many of us do anyway…

On the other hand, the dealerships don’t get to add on the ‘market adjustments’ to new cars…instead they over price USED ones.

2. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I applaud you reading the room and grabbing the car. We have been in this situation for over 2 years now where if you want the vehicle, you have to be flexible. Sometimes very flexible with what you originally wanted. It's what I have to do, and I tell everyone else who's in the market they must do the same if they don't want to wait a long time.

daisy555 and flim like this.
  3. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Sorry, I haven't been following this thread, but what are the delays and markups on the Prius 2023 here in Ontario?

Actually I'd probably wait a while anyway, assuming my 2012 Plug-In holds up. Maybe by 2024-2025, the market won't be so crazy.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That’s how I feel, but I’m getting some concerning engine stumbling at only 30,000 hv miles and may have trade sooner than later

Exerted and Eug like this.
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well…I just received notice that my cutting edge Prius XLE AWD will be departing Japan on June 19th with an estimated arrival to New York the week of July 19th. Estimated delivery time is last week in July - mid August.

Door edge guards
    Door sill protectors
    Mud guards
    Alloy wheel locks
    All weather floor liner package

$34,319.00 plus tax

Mud guards and wheel locks were the only thing I didn’t want. Are wheel locks a hassle?

I should be excited but I’m a nervous wreck. The purchase is a bit complicated but time will tell. Hopefully things will go smoothly and I can adjust the seat to be a comfortable ride. Bottom line I will have a reliable car. I hate the new car jitters but it’s better than worrying about an old car breaking down.

Might get a chance to test the Corolla Cross Hybrid at another dealership before the Prius arrives. : } Hopefully I won’t like it!! : )

Did I post this in the right section of the forum?

Eug, Perpetual Waffle and Gokhan like this.
  6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should I have them remove wheel locks and mudguards? Just glad the side body guards aren’t there.

Gokhan likes this.
  7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Congrats, keep everything!

daisy555 likes this.
  8. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Mudguards are barely noticeable. I had planned to take mine off, but I'll probably just leave them on because it's not worth the hassle to remove. For you, I'd make the decision based on cost and the hassle to get the dealer to remove them. If the dealer makes it easy to make changes prior to processing and you could use the money, go ahead and have them removed. If the dealer is going to fight it and the $200 or so isn't a huge deal to you in the grand scheme of things, maybe just let it go. There's no right or wrong answer here.

Personally I'd hate wheel locks, but I'm up in the middle of nowhere with a garage and practically no theft. Heck, I left my old car outside and unlocked for months and never had an issue.* So my situation is likely different than most everyone on this board. :D

*But at the same time, I've had two shootings(1 fatal, 1 serious) within a block of me in the last six months, so go figure.

daisy555 likes this.
  9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess mud guards protect my car and those behind me. Supposedly affect aerodynamics but the Prius mudguards look fairly streamlined.

Alessandro_Ibi likes this.
  10. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!
    Wow…that’s scary. My new car jitters have to do with fear of someone scratching/hitting my car. I live in an apartment complex and there are a few crazies. At least we have cameras but they don’t show much. Found that out when my cat converter was stolen. I do sometimes go to Providence which has some sketchy areas.

If I remove any of it, it won’t be $$ in my pocket. I do want the rear bumper appliqué and I suppose I should ask if it can be put on during build. Otherwise it could be additional labor because they have the body shop do that work.

Can’t wait to hear about the “only one key fob for now”.

11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

Gokhan likes this.
  12. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Agree on the rear bumper applique. I actually wish Toyota still did the big plastic bumper protectors like they used to on at least the gen3. They were ugly, but they sure protected the bumper for those of us that often haul stuff in and out of the cargo area. At least the applique is something(and the only way you notice it is a tiny Toyota logo in one corner - lol).

13. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a tough one daisy in regards to the apartment complex. I don't think there's any way around it, your car will be at the mercy of others. Best you can do is park well, and if you can park in a way that makes it harder for yourself but easier on the car next to you to avoid door dings, do that.

In regards to wheel locks, just hide the key somewhere in your car so if you ever need it in an emergency, you've got it.

14. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I liked the plastic bumper too. Actually looked good on the Gen 2.

Do you think I’ll manage without digital camera? I’ve been practicing. I adjusted my rear view mirror for a bit so I can only see top section of rear window. Not going to be ideal but I rely on side view mirrors, backup camera and physically turning my head to see.

If I could customize a package it would be digital camera, JBL stereo (another brand if Toyota offered it), CD player and 120v plug in cargo area.

I just looked on Toyota’s website and they’ve added a $1k cooler and a few other goodies for those who can splurge. Wondering where the cooler gets plugged in. Didn’t read the details.

15. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I was parking my 2009 as far away as possible until cat converter was stolen. Now I try to blend in with the crowd. Since the wheels are so darn expensive I should be grateful it’s coming with the locks. : /

16. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I got one key fob and one homeless emergency key to go in the second fob when it's delivered. Silly lol.

daisy555 likes this.
  17. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'm not using the digital backup camera at all right now. I might use it this winter when ice/snow covers the back window. My eyes just have a hard time shifting focus from the distant road to the close up mirror. It might be easier to use in city driving than the mostly highway driving I've been doing. I've removed the rear seat headrests to give me a wider field of view out the back. The side mirrors feel like they give me a noticeably larger field of view than my gen3(which should be similar to your gen2).

I am enjoying the panoramic view display feature. I don't look at it all the time when backing up, but it's been useful at times to see exactly where the edges of the car are on all sides when turning out of a tight spot. You can absolutely get by without it, but it's a nice extra tool.

daisy555 and Gokhan like this.
  18. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    It won't be a problem at all. After one day of driving, I am 100% comfortable with all aspects of the cockpit, mirrors, and windows. It feels like home.

It's funny to think back on my initial impression when first sitting in the car. I was like, "no way". Then I fidgeted around with the seat and steering column, and it got a little better. Still I wasn't convinced.

The cars absolute beauty, and my love for my current Prius made me head out to the lot to try again another day. This time it wasn't nearly as much of a shock. Then I decided to recline the seat a couple notches and, Bam! Fit like a glove.

Now I'm sure if I climbed back in my '19, it would feel like a space wagon in comparison, but I'm happy as a clam with my new ride. And the more I drive it, the more comfortable I get.

One interesting note is the size of the left foot rest. It seems to have gotten bigger. My size 13 fits comfortably on it. :barefoot:

19. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The only option I didn't get in your list is the wheel lock instead I got the rear bumper applique & spider cargo net. The mud guards were too small to even notice but they didn't look too bad. I actually forgot I had them. :D Keep them!

#459 flim, Jun 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
    daisy555 likes this.
  20. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I read that wheel locks are suggested with alloy wheels. I just don’t want an additional hassle if I need a tire repair while on the road. I’ll keep the key in the car. I guess the ultimate hassle would be stolen tires.

I’m going to contact them on Monday and hopefully they don’t mind arranging for the appliqué to be put on before rather than after arrival.