1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Gen 5 2023 Toyota Prius cars show up at the dealers!

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Jan 20, 2023.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I’m the opposite. When testing out the seat positions I had to raise it all the way and in an upright position. Should be interesting. I’ll have to adjust the passenger seat so they are more in line with each other otherwise it will look super awkward. : }

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our ‘10 came with wheel locks. Not the first car we’ve had with them. After maybe 6 years of dealing with the extra hassle (during tire swaps, and any time wheels need to come off) I bought four extra, regular nuts, retired the locking nuts.

While the locking nuts do have a purpose, the risk vs hassle seems overblown. A tip: tape a label with your phone number and license plate number on the barrel of the special socket (for the locking nuts), just in case some mechanic or tire installer loses track of it.

daisy555 likes this.
  3. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    ^^^

A local tire shop I visited has no respect for wheel locks. It seems his customers don't get their wheels stolen regardless of whether or not there are wheel locks, but I suspect it's more the hassle for their shop when the customer comes in for a wheel swap and can't find the wheel lock key (or whatever it's called). Actually, that happened to me once. I told them the appropriate key was in the car, but they told me they couldn't find it (because the person I told where it was didn't properly relay that information to the mechanic). Nonetheless they removed it successfully anyway with the tools they had in the shop for this purpose.

Anyhow since then I just don't bother with the wheel locks and never had anything stolen even living here in Toronto, but I suspect it's location specific. OTOH, I hear lots of stories people here getting their entire car stolen, or else people getting stuff stolen from inside their cars. But for some reason, it's never just the wheels.

---

If I go looking for new Prius 2023 or 2024 in Ontario, should I just expect to pay sticker price and no more, no less... and then wait 6 months to a year? I'm still waiting for my car to be repaired after an accident but the more I think about it, the more I want to get a new car sooner rather than later.

I'm not sure if that would be a Prius or Crown or something else, but the Crown pricing is getting up there. At those prices I'd consider a Lexus or something.

Pre-Covid, we'd be able to new cars for a few hundred below sticker price, but I don't see that happening in the near future, after hearing all those stories about dealers charging more than sticker price for new cars.

daisy555 likes this.
  4. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Car market has been turned upside down. Instead of walking into the dealership and picking out exactly what you want, now you're forced to make compromises and take what you can get.

Instead of haggling prices and getting nice discounts, paying full price(MSRP) is now lucky, rare, and a privilege.

If you do find a dealership with integrity who will sell to you at MSRP, desirable cars have long wait lists. Around here, it can be a year at least. Some models like the RAV4 Prime and Sienna might as well be pixie dust, as in an ice cubes chance in hell without paying 10-15k markup.

I don't know if it's all of Canada or province specific in regards to MSRP protection pricing but at least you guys got something. Your hick neighbors down south are left to fend for themselves. Capitalism.

Eug likes this.
  5. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The rear bumper applique should be a port installed option.

6. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota website charges extra for the pearl white on the build package.

7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    And for red, which is a scarce color.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Only a matter of time till it'll be simpler to list the colours without an up-charge.

Merkey likes this.
  9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    White and red are three-coat paints—hence the extra coast.

Exerted and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someday, there'll be a subscription based color changing option

Mendel Leisk and Preebee like this.
  11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Salesman is looking into appliqué being added since it’s still in build status.

#471 daisy555, Jun 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    Gokhan likes this.
  12. Perpetual Waffle

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    This feels like the right thread to say it in… just got the call from my dealer that my Prius has arrived. Nearly four months since allocation and it’s finally here! Will report back later. :D

flim, Preebee, Gokhan and 3 others like this.
  13. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yay!

14. Perpetual Waffle

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    E50B513CA590917B.jpeg IMG_8814.jpeg Here it is! I have absolutely zero complaints about this car so far. After hearing people talk about road noise, rear visibility issues, reduced space, etc, I was prepared to have some gripes, but I have personally found none of those things to be an issue. Yes, the hatch is smaller than my gen 2’s was, but that’s not a huge issue for me. It drives smoothly and is no noisier/bumpier on rougher roads than my 2019 Buick Encore was with 18” tires. If anything, I think it might be quieter.

I had a three-hour drive home from the dealer, so I had some time to get acquainted with it. I haven’t played around too much with the different driving modes, but briefly shifted into Sport and was a bit startled by how quick it wanted to take off with just a little tap of the pedal. Haha. I’m also very impressed with the driving assist features so far; they are helpful without being too “naggy”.

I love this car and am looking forward to many years of driving it. :)

I’ll also work on some better pictures once I’ve got proper lighting. It’s been a busy day.

#474 Perpetual Waffle, Jun 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
    Roqu3, daisy555, Preebee and 5 others like this.
  15. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Congrats! Did they charge you for the red ribbon? :D

daisy555 likes this.
  16. Perpetual Waffle

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Ha! Shockingly, no. This dealer was refreshingly easy to work with. Got the car at MSRP with no crazy add-ons to drive up the price tag.

daisy555 likes this.
  17. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations! Another wind chill beauty. Nice to hear your experience.

18. David Mk.2

David Mk.2 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    How would you say the wind chill pearl looks in person compared to pictures? I feel like in pictures and videos, even in high quality ones, it just looks flat white and you don't really see the metallic/pearl

19. Perpetual Waffle

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    The pearl is subtle. I definitely notice it more in the light. From a distance, yes, it could be mistaken for a flat white, but at closer proximity in the sun it absolutely shimmers. I’ll add a few photos to try and capture that effect, but I feel the photos don’t really do it justice.

IMG_8821.jpeg IMG_8824.jpeg IMG_8820.jpeg

David Mk.2, Eug, flim and 2 others like this.
  20. David Mk.2

David Mk.2 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Wow, that's a huge difference! Up close the silver/metallic really shines. If I saw that by itself I would have thought it was Cutting Edge. Probably looks great up close in the sun

daisy555 likes this.