1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Grill Block/Interesting Results

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by KAR IDEA, Nov 26, 2008.

1. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I've owned Kar Idea for nearly a year now, mid December is the one year anniversary mark. Last winter I simply drove the car as is, and my mileage was in the low forties. Spring arrived, then summer, and the education continued...my mileage improved. By the end of the summer I was getting low to mid fifties. My best tank ever was 57 mpg's, 456 miles on 8 gallons, in July. Now that the weather has been getting colder again, I've taken the normal mileage hit, and currently am getting MPG back in the low to mid forties. So today I blocked my grill with pipe insulation, as illustrated by many threads here on the chat. I blocked the upper grill entirely, and blocked the middle three slats of the lower grill. Even within the first 5 minutes of driving, I immediately noticed a difference.

Here's a few pics from the MFD as I commuted to work today. The trip started on a cold start, from the garage, where the ambient temp is around 56 degrees. The first minute from the garage is uphill, steep, and I have never seen anything higher than 18 MPG for the first 5 minutes of a commute from the building I live in. Ignore the miles driven on the MFD, it is not accurate. Also, the "pattern" on the MFD is quite normal for my commute. Sometimes, it just keeps going up...anyway, I'd say that the grill block worked. Leaving the garage, my MPG read 40.1, and after the first five minute bar appeared, it jumped to 45.4! I am seeing a definite improvement...

cp1_1126081526.jpg

cp1_1126081540.jpg

cp1_1126081548.jpg

cp1_1126081555.jpg

I just wanted to thank everyone for their helpful threads on the grill block...Efusco, TonyPSchaefer, Fire Engineer, DaveInOlyWa, and anyone else I forgot to mention...

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now, get yourself an EBH...you'll start w/ MPG in the 50s on the consumption screen!

3. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I've been thinking about it, but I haven't figured out how I would plug it in yet. The only outlet in the garage is on the other side from mine. It's a long garage under the building with cars along either side of it. The extension cord would have to run right across the floor (25 feet), or along the wall, up and over the entry door, and along the other wall (and that's like over 50 feet). Regardless, some tenant is gonna say something, and then I'll probably get a letter from the management company telling me to stop stealing their electricity. :biggrin1:

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe you could buy a kill-a-watt meter to track your usage and agree to reimburse the management company for any energy used (it'll amount to a couple bucks a month).

5. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Definitely an idea worth exploring...see, i didn't even think of that. I was looking at the problem from a view of having to be sneaky and then getting caught. :doh:

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may have a future as a criminal! Or maybe a bad criminal?!:p

7. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    :pound: Been there, done that, not gonna do it again!

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great result! It actually works and it is something you can notice.

That's a very good MPG for the first 5 mins. You even had 100 WH of regen brake energy in the HV battery.

9. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Traveled back from MA this morning...it's about a 4 and 1/2 hour trip from West Barnstable to Yonkers NY. Averaged 45.1 miles per gallon at 65 to 70 miles per hour on cruise control, outside ambient temperature according to the car was 31 degrees at the start of the trip, and when we arrived it was 42 degrees, and we were running the heater at 71 degrees with fan speed one above low. Don't know if this was due to the grill block or not, but I'm going to block another slit maybe two on Monday on the lower grill.

IMO, it is working, because I've seen an increase in MPG's on my database at greenhybrid.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In January 2009, I drove from Huntsville to Columbia SC and back going from 16F to 39F and back to 17F. All highway traffic at 65 mph, my mileage change was proportional to the air density. There wasn't a dang thing I could do about it but it wasn't until the temperature reached 35F that my mileage rose above 50 MPG.

Now I might have been able to sustain +50 MPG by adjusting the speed. However, I wanted to complete the trip in one day to avoid motel costs. The gas was cheaper than a motel room. I use a lower air inlet block all but summer.

Bob Wilson

11. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have been 100% blocked for a while now - I definitely think it is helping FE. I also have an EBH - but I am beginning to wonder about the impact it has. At $2 a gallon compared to the price of electricity I don't think I'm saving much, if anything, using the EBH. My impression from earlier threads was that even at $4 a gal. the EBH pay back was a long long time.

12. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Very noteworthy...Yep, for now I'm just going to leave the grill blocked, no EBH. I bought another bag of pipe insulation, and am going to stuff a few more slats, sit back and watch what happens. It's difficult to determine right now if the mpg's are improving because I am not the only one driving the car right now. Currently, my wife is driving the car more often than I am, and her driving is very different from mine. So right now I'm seeing our MPG's take a dive, regardless of the grill block. The first few days of having it blocked I definitely saw a difference, however, if we're not going to drive the same way (ahem, MY WAY), then it's a lost cause...and that's just sad. : )

13. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I filled up last night and calculated 45 mpg for the tank. Not bad for 30 to 40 degree weather. Question: Does anyone have a solution for keeping the ends of the pipe insulation from slipping out? I'll post pics later showing the problem area...for now, I'll describe...the pipe insulation is compression fitted into the bottom slats, however, the ends are not quite long enough to remain "squeezed" in permanently, and every now and then I have to push em' back in with my fingers. Any ideas?

14. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  15. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Isn't the pipe insulation and the zip ties hard on the paint?

16. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Well...the grill's are not painted, at least I don't think they are. Regardless, the insulation is soft enough that it does not mark up any surfaces. Zip ties too. In regards to zip ties, I thought about using those, however, they are too thin, and would move too easily. Perhaps gaffers tape, black gaffers tape.

17. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Stick-on velcro might work.

18. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thank you to those who gave me suggestions! I had a eureka moment and here is the solution! I cut 6 little sections from a remaining tube of insulation and stuffed them into the gaps on the very left and right of the grill, thereby "compressing" the block some more. It effectively holds the ends of the insulation, and prevents slippage! :D

Attached Files:

19. dipper

dipper Senior Member

You could still make the pipe insulation a lot cleaner. I make slits on the insulation. So that way, they are flush with the grill.

20. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes, you're right! I could do that... :tea: Although I kinda like the wavy look...in a modern art sort of way.