1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Impressions - Prius Prime Premium

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by JTEM, Oct 19, 2017.

1. JTEM

JTEM Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Picked up my new daily driver on Saturday.

• Once you adjust the power driver seat just right, seems like would be very comfortable for a long ride.
    • Drives similar to my Gen II Prius for the most part. In this case familiar is good.
    • First two EV mode drives have given me ~ 30 miles range from each charge cycle.
    Not so likes:
    • Eco mode is downright dangerous on major highways with traffic, merging, etc. Too under powered. Have to use the Normal or Power modes.
    • Wish there was a button on the steering wheel for changing driving mode.
    • 11.7 LCD is a huge distraction.
    • Too many features crammed into this car. I have not changed anything from the default as of yet
    • Trim on the side of the car - just below the doors - is made of flimsy plastic. Is bound to crack one of these days.
    • I wish there was a camera in front of the car as well. The shape of the hood makes it difficult to estimate exactly how much room you have in front of the bumper.
    More to come.....

JT

2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You had me fooled; your Prime should be the Premium model!! I felt the same way you did regarding the excessive amount of technology in this car, when I first received the car! It was overwhelming at first, but just give yourself some time and try everything out with car turned on in your driveway, with owner's manuals handy; worked for me!!

3. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If true then this should be listed in the cons :p

I love my Gen 2 but I certainly don't consider its ride as any kind of benchmark. I have driven Gen 3's, they drive better than Gen 2, and a few months ago I drove a Gen 4 which was even better. I haven't driven a Prime yet, but from from the reports we get here the Prime is at least as good as Gen 4.

Maybe you were too distracted by the overwhelming number of gizmos on your new Prime to really notice the ride and handling so far? ;)

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was thinking canadian when i saw the title. i have had gen 2, 3 and test driven prime. the operational differences are so small as to be hardly noticeable to me. when people exclaim the vast improvements, i'm always amazed.
    congrats, all the best!(y)

5. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps you have developed "numb butt syndrome" from driving too many Prii?;) just kidding, really.

I'm amazed when long time previous GEN owners cannot feel a difference between them and the Prime. Not an attack or anything personal, just equal amazement from the opposite direction. The extra battery weight makes all the difference to me. Everyone notices things differently.

Data Daedalus, pilotgrrl and jaqueh like this.
  6. JTEM

JTEM Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I drive my cars hard, but within limits of what each car can do. I don't baby them. Prius Prime has some improvement when it comes to handling and cornering, but it is not radically better than the Gen II Prius. I have not driven the Gen III or IV. It is not a BMW, or even a Mazda 3......

But then I bought it for its fuel efficiency and because I will end up getting it around ~ $20K after rebates.....

JT

Data Daedalus and jaqueh like this.
  7. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I disagree. This car handles night and day in comparison to the Gen 2. I drive my cars quite hard as well and you’ll see over time that this car is incredibly refined in comparison to the older generation. I suspect that lack of steering wheel feedback is a contributing factor. Once you get used to the car’s limits, you’ll realize you can fly around corners at least 10mph faster than you’d dare in the gen 2.

8. JTEM

JTEM Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I hope you are right about me getting to know the car better and push it closer to the limits of what it can do.

BTW, I am really impressed by the Power Mode in the Prime. It really adds ooomph that was sorely lacking in Gen II.

JT

Data Daedalus and jaqueh like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. maybe a test drive isn't enough to notice.

Data Daedalus and Mark57 like this.
  10. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ah, one thing that’s disappointing I guess: this car is actually slightly slower than the gen 2.

11. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Where I notice it most is how it sits slightly lower than at the top out of the springs. It's the same feel as putting 4-5 big bags of mulch in the back of the 2010. Not overloaded, but it's not topped out either. If you hit a small, smooth dip in the road, it just compresses and goes right through it smoothly. My 2010 was so light in the rear, the springs never really compressed. It was like a steel ball bearing on marble feel. This is a much nicer ride. My non-technical wife immediately said, this rides more like my Camry than the old Prius. Tires are at 37 PSI so not hard.

My 2010 could really be thrown into a cloverleaf ramp corner and hold it nicely The Prime feels the same with no nose dive. The 2010 was a coasting machine in N, as is the Prime.

Some of this feel is new tires, but I attribute most of it to the heavier battery.

It might be a bit slower than my 2010 in HV mode, but not enough to matter. If I HAVE to, I can floor it and hit 80 by the end of an on-ramp even in ECO (note in HV mode, not EV) Maximum throttle is max whether EV or PWR mode.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be i have the same effect in the pip.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  13. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    True, I forget you're in a PIP. Then you'd not notice much change. Good catch.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sure it doesn't handle like the new rear end, but i don't drive in a way to appreciate it. those days are way behind me.

15. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for your review,I have enjoyed driving the 1975 BMW 2002, and my generation two Prius, which I believe handles very similarly. I hope the Prime does as well, as it is the next car I will own

Data Daedalus and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  16. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Few notes on handling/performance vis a vis my new 2017 Prime Advanced:
    The car can zip in and out of traffic with impressive acceleration from stop to 55 mph in that moderate traffic situation I daily find on a 13 mile run of Harbor Blvd. This run from Anaheim to Costa Mesa has many lights which a careful driver can anticipate to maximize a smooth 45-55 mph speed. The handling is excellent with confidence-inspiring feel and response, while the brakes are EXCELLENT (to AAA, who have no bloody idea what they're talking about!), with no squeal whatsoever. Their only "awkwardness" is the ease of modulation during last 2 or 3 feet. The ride is excellent and my newfound joy is the ability to invoke that very good rush of acceleration in silent stealth mode!!
    The final reward is an electric-only (EV) range of 34 miles (no A/C), which in my case results in month and a half, 9 gallon fillups, at about 1400 mile intervals!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it, AAA buffoons!!. AAA is still prejudiced toward Land Barges, and Stupid Useless Vehicles, while picking for top green cars, vehicles in $60K to over $100K price range, implying dishonestly that hybrids/electrics are unaffordable. I wonder how much Big Oil was involved in their so-called "survey"!

17. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

On those rare occasions when you do need to fill up do you ever swing into the Costco in Fountain Valley, less than a mile from Harbor Blvd? Eight lanes of cars as seen in the aerial photo below but the line moves pretty quickly from what I remember, with not just one but multiple attendants out there directing traffic. It's the only Costco by the way that I have ever been to that has an outdoor food court.

Costco Fountain Valley.PNG

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  18. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I gave up my Costco membership; I only need their drugs, and you don't have to be a member to buy drugs there. Their gas lines are ridiculous and my local gas station on La Palma, about 1 mile away sees me about every month and a half, and charges me about the same as Costco without the huge wait. If I still had a big family it might be worth the $60/year, but now, it's just me and Yewee the cat! 1508650920529.jpeg

19. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Costco here in Anaheim (and I think the one at Bella Terra in Huntington Beach) also has an outdoor food court, but the weather here is generally about 12° hotter, and I'd say the crowds are much worse!! Don't even ask about the parking!!. Bella Terra has 2 charging spots, that are available on February 29th, each year!! They also offer a separate parking structure.

In Anaheim, you have to send out squads of your young children to scout for an empty parking spot; if they find one, they're instructed to lay down in the spot to prevent marauding peasants from stealing the real estate!!
    It's a rat race, but it builds character!!

#19 HPrimeAdvanced, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Since2002 likes this.
  20. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yewee looks like it hit the jack pot living with you.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.