1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Issue in 10 years and 227,000 miles...Need Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by djasonw, Jan 16, 2015.

1. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Guyz...I've been a member of this forum for over ten years and love the wealth of information I've gleaned from it. Now I have an issue with my Prius which has been addressed in some older threads.

I drove from Fort Lauderdale to Tampa the other day and after turning off the car, I checked in to my room and started the car again. Within 20 seconds, I saw all the gear indicators flash, the triangle lit up and PROBLEM showed. Ironically I had just purchased a BT OBD II link which was already plugged in to the port. I loaded the Torque App and read the following codes:
    U0293, P0A1D, U0100

I researched these codes and I then cleared them. The car ran fine after clearing them and I drove 16 miles with no issue. I drove a few more times today and then drove from Tampa to Orlando. I turned the car off to get a quick bite and when I restarted the car the same codes occurred again. I cleared them and now I am at my hotel wondering what the issue is. Here's what I'm wondering...

Is the OBD link possible causing these codes to be thrown?
    Can the 12 volt battery be compromised? The PID from torque shows a healthy 13.8 volts but Thats when the vehicle is running.
    Can something be loose in the wiring harness?

I really tend to doubt there is a mechanical issue because the vehicle runs flawlessly when I clear the codes. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for the lengthy post. TIA!!

2. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I don't know what those codes are, maybe someone else can help with that. I wouldn't leave that OBD2 plugged in. Some of those have lights that could drain your battery. Maybe that's whats happening.

3. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. That's entirely possible. I'm going to remove it and see if the issue happens again. They claim it doesn't impact the battery but the Prius battery is quite different.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some have had this issue, your battery is probably fine.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0A1D means that the hybrid vehicle ECU has an internal error.
    DTC U0100 and U0293 are both communications errors. U0100 is posted by the hybrid vehicle ECU and this means it cannot communicate with the engine ECU. U0293 is posted by the traction battery ECU and this means it cannot communicate with the hybrid vehicle ECU.

I suggest you disconnect your OBD-II scanner and see if the warning lights return. If they do not, then there is an incompatibility between that OBD-II device and the Prius. If the lights return then you should seek professional assistance - or else try to buy a used HV ECU (located behind the glove compartment) and install it.

6. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, yes and yes. ;)

And you should tackle them in that order:
    Unplug the scanner when not in use (on startup and shut down)
    If the 12 V is old have it tested or just replace it.
    Only after those two things should you look for other mechanical or electrical causes.

kenoarto likes this.
  7. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On my gen2 when I plugged I the scan gauge2 after having installed it in another vehicle the gen2 would throw codes which I would simply ignore and clear, never gave them another thought.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'll be surprised if it is not the OBDII device.

9. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much for all your replies. I took out the OBD device and the car has not had any issues. I drove from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale without any issues at all. I have to say though, the information from Torque is really amazing. I never realized that when the HV battery has one green bar showing it is at ~70% SOC. Anywhooo.... I am still amazed I've gotten this much use out of the car. I hope it lasts me a while longer, so I intend to take very good care of her.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you like obtaining operational parameters from the various Prius ECUs, get Mini VCI. It runs on a Windows XP or Windows 7, 32 bit OS laptop so it is not intended for daily use - but when you have it plugged in you will obtain much more info than you probably want to know about the various systems.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You might also try a ScangaugeII. Out-of-the-box it only tells the more mundane things, quite a few, but it's possible to add in XGauges, basically more esoteric gauges. I think HV battery state of charge, for one. I've added ACw (AC wattage, lets you know when AC is running), and BT2 (temperature of hybrid battery's middle temp sensor, typically the hottest). Never had a compatibility problem.

12. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always considered a scanguage, but for the money, Torque is really a great app/value. I've never heard of a Mini VC1 but I'm going to research that device.

13. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a Scangauge, and sold it on ebay when I discovered the mini-VCI and techstream ($35?) :D

14. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What you describe sounds typical for the failure of electronic components. Reset and resume, but the interval between failures get generally shorter each time. Other times, you may get one failure episode, then later it fails completely.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The scan gauge is small, mobile, and can be always on when you are driving. The mini-VCI is not so much any of those things, but gives much more functionality in a non-mobile car.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    mini-VCI and techstream is mainly for diagnostics, hooked up to a laptop? When stationary? My needs are more for on the road, getting feedback as I drive.

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the car doesn't have to be stationary, but given a laptop being involved, you probably would not want it to be hooked up at all times to the OBD-II socket.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, avoid the cheap ELM clones.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  19. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I drive around all of the time hooked up to my netbook. (y) It blows away the data you will get On the scan gauge.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I don't doubt it.