1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First model year issues?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Ethan Waldman, May 6, 2015.

1. Ethan Waldman

Ethan Waldman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi All. I'm a first time poster and potential Prius owner. I'm looking at a 2010 Prius III with about 50k miles on it. The car looks great and doesn't seem to have any issues. However, I'm wary that 2010 was the first year for the Gen III. I've always been told to avoid the first year of any car, as the manufacturer will usually work out whatever "bugs" they found in later years. Does 2010 Prius have any common issues that were worked out? Would it be worth avoiding this year all together?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not a Gen3 expert, but I am not aware of any hesitance in posts here to buy a 2010. Pretty sure the answer is go for it. What state are you in? CARB state?

If you are in a CARB state, you may want to make sure the used has it's CARB pedigree (orig ownership in CARB).

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That isn't as much of an issue as it used to be. My 1986 Accord was the first year of a new design, and it was great for the 23 years I kept it. And it is still running, just six blocks away from me.

I found no big problems with my first-month 2010 Prius II, just more rattles (from plastic joints) than expected, and that wasn't purely a first year issue. But there were some equipment changes half way through the production cycle, which lasted nearly two years. E.g. USB didn't get added to the entertainment system until 8 months into production. Power steering components on the lower trim units were also changed. I don't remember what else changed.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably the biggest issue for early adopters of Gen 3 turned out to be the Brake Software Reflash. And that's a bit confusing because Toyota adjusted the software mid-production.

Check on this issue.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On my 2010, I had the following problems.

1. The oil change cover flap was designed better, it was changed at the owner's request before 36k miles warranty expired, otherwise after 36k you would just wait til the cover flap fell off and you lose it.

2. There was a brake recall, not really sure what it was, but it's a recall and free

3. My odometer display would be blurry on the right half, clear on the left half. Again a defect that would be replaced before the 36k, and you are SOL if after 36k

4. My car speakers seem to rattle/distort when I turn up the volume but I guess others get that too beyond 2010.

6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As a rule (not talking Gen III Prius), but if a car model goes through a MAJOR rework, I'd be hesitant about the first model year. If the "rework" addresses past shortcomings and makes noticeable improvements, I'd not worry so much.

It depends on if the engineers were trying to fix something that really wasn't broken or not.

7. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe that I have an "early" 2010 and I bought it used with about 80,000 miles and we now have 120,000 and I have had no issues. I would not be afraid of a 2010 at all.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We have a semi-early 2010, manufactured August of '09, and we bought it in November of '10, still new. It's had the brake master cylinder recall, and the software update to protect the inverter. No problems so far, it has a bit over 50,000 km's now.

Regarding the aforementioned oil flap door, it'll last forever, IF it's never used, ie: you remove the whole underpanel, don't bend back the flap. It's a poor plastic spec, can't take bending. If it's been dealership serviced, they probably did just bend back the flap, and you will have problems.

9. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 Toyota Prius III has 60,500 miles and runs fine. With respect to newbies - newbies need to get use to how the hydraulic brakes take over from the regen braking system - I was never a fan of the software updates to the braking system but I haven't notice any problems with it. I am still using the OE Yokohama Avid s33d tires but I'm looking for replacements this year - the Prius' fuel efficiency is sensitive to what kind of tire it is using - to get the best fuel efficiency a Prius needs a good set of Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires. I have OE Toyota Floor mats - which have these little holes that latch to hooks on the floor. I haven't found any third party floor mats that work like that so I advise getting OE Toyota Floor mats for the Prius. The Prius 12v adapter will blow its fuse if you try to run a 12vdc portable tire air compressor on it (max load is about 80 watts). A Prius is not design to jump start another vehicle. A Prius is not design to haul more than 800 pounds of passengers and cargo at the same time. A Prius is not design to tow a trailer albeit it is possible. The GPS updates are very expensive! Newbies should be advised that the Prius' fuel efficiency is very sensitive to the driving environment, traffic, distance, and speed - the Prius MPG is at its best on smooth dry flat roads in warm temperatures, with no traffic, traveling over over 10 miles, and speeds from 25 to 45 mph.

A Prius is not a chick magnet... albeit I wish they were! :)

If you have a preferred local hybrid mechanic - you might want to have him/her take a look at it before you purchase it .

Minor things that have gone gaga on my Prius

1) The engine undercarriage shield *oil change access* door fell off.
    2) The button labels on the steering column, radio have worn off. Some buttons are hard to see at night.
    3) metallic speckled color exterior paint is hard to touch up/repaint - flat exterior color exterior paints are easier to repaint
    4) the lower front air dam is scuffed a bit from uneven roadside curbs- if you need higher than normal ground clearance - the Prius is not the car for you.
    5) Operational differences in 3rd generation Prii hatchbacks: The 2010 and earlier models run silent in electric mode while going forward if the gas engine is warmed up. 2011 and later models make this warning sound in electric mode while going forward so the visually impaired can hear a moving Prius in EV mode. Pedestrians may not see or hear a 2010 Prius coming if it is in EV mode so a driver should be extra cautious in EV mode.

#9 walter Lee, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Stay away from any car fitted with rolling resistant tires. :D

walter Lee likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I was thinking that too but was not about to say it, but I can second that

2011's however, watch out!!

12. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL. Good catch. Correction: "Low Rolling Resistant Tires" should be " Low Rolling Resistance Tires".

13. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    +1 to that. I wonder how they know. Can't be that much difference between the '10 and '11 tail lights. The rest of the car is nearly identical. Their approach is typically casual. I usually drive at or just slightly above the speed limit, so I get to see a lot of traffic pass by. I will see a Prius in the rear view, car will come up on the left in the passing lane, then slow and match my speed. It is a habit of mine to avoid looking inside cars, concentrating mainly on the behavior of the "vehicle" and not the driver inside. So I will wait a few moments before glancing at the Prius to my left. In the five or six times this has happened the other driver was female, the only occupant of the vehicle, and displayed obvious joy in the sharing of the moment. Makes me feel there is hope for the human race after all. I won't say anything about the two or three times I've been the victim of rolling coal.

14. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm driving a 2010 III, built November 2009 and bought December 2009. 87,000 miles. Reliable. Things done:
    1. Oil door. Got the dealer to replace it under warranty. Happened around 15,000 miles because another dealer likely half-ripped it off.
    2. Two software upgrades: One for the brakes (faster switch from regen to standard brakes when semi-slipping over rubble on the street), and one for the inverter, more recently. No problems with either system; in fact, the dealer told me I've got another 20,000 miles on the brake pads, easy, and the car still gets in the 50 mpg range during the summer, as it always has.
    3. Had to replace the oil filter cover, but that was because some idiot at the dealer used a massive wrench to tighten it down, and I broke the cover getting it back off again.
    4. Replaced the first set of tires at around 35,000 miles; got another 10K to go, I figure, on the Michelin LRR tires on the car.
    5. One front end alignment when new, under warranty. May not have been required, I was getting used to the car.
    6. New 12V battery, the one in the right rear. These tend to die more as a function of age than miles, so, if yours hasn't been replaced yet, you'll probably need to do it soon. Comparatively expense for a 12V car battery (glass mat style), cheap with respect to the value of a car.
    This car came with a cargo area cover, standard. I understand that very early 2010 Prius model years did not, and there was some talk that putting on the Toyota-official one was sometimes problematical because the latch at the rear of the car that the cover fit into was not properly anchored into the frame.

I've replaced the transmission oil twice on this thing, once at 45,000 and again at 85,000, mainly because of recommendations heard here on Prius Chat. If you've got more time than money it's not complicated; the other way around, maybe $150-$200, mainly for the labor.

Finally, there's been some isolated complaints around this board that the passages in the head into which the EGR gases flow sometimes get clogged, resulting in rough engine running. This appears to be solvable by opening up this and that and scraping, but haven't done it myself, so can't say more than that.

I tend to keep cars for 100K+ miles as a rule. This car has had 'way less maintenance than any other car I've had the pleasure of owning. It doesn't even rattle, although I've heard others make comments about that.

Good luck!

KBeck

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I lost the oil filter cover. Don't know when so I don't know who was responsible. Don't care to replace it.

Early on, the holes for the screws for the rear cargo net weren't drilled right. That was corrected pretty quickly.

Still running with the original software for the brakes & inverter. No problems.

First year build quality wasn't an issue in 2009. It shouldn't be an issue in 2015.

Check out the reports on TrueDelta -- Real Car Owners Driving Real Car Information

16. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, the first year production always has more defects. the first year for gen 3 prius was 2009. 2010 prius made in mid to later part of 2010 is better. not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of.

17. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Early 2010 Blizzard Pearl, Touring, 82000km. I took it in for several brake related recalls, but made no difference for me. The car still lurches sometimes when braking over something bumpy, but I don't feel as strongly about it as other people do. Another issue I've heard from my car is a loud rattling fan noise, like a plastic fan slapping against something. But it's been a few years since I last heard it. Happened maybe 4 times in my ownership.

Other than that, all I've done is 0W20 regular oil changes, regular maintenance at dealership, cabin air filter changes, and gas. No electrical issues, no hybrid-related problems, no 12V battery problems, no traction battery problems, I still get 54+ mpg (manually calculated) when I hypermile. Still on original Michelins, because I swap each winter. No burnt light bulbs, no brake pads changes, no accidents, still rattlely like everybody else's Pri's, and seat fabric is wearing fine (no areas excessively matted down), still original wipers (F and R).

I love this thing to death, and I'd buy another one in heartbeat if I had to. I'll see what Toyota comes up with for Gen 4's Plug-in Prius.

18. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    We bought our Gen 3 in August 09. The software recalls were done at no charge but I'm not even sure how necessary they were. Still on original brakes and 12V battery. Maintenance has been routine. In 6.5 years, the only required repair other than tires was replacement last January of a bearing on one rear wheel.

The Gen 3 Prius liftback isn't perfect but in my opinion it's still better than anything else introduced since except, depending on your needs, the Prius v.

Comparing the 2010 to more recent model years I'd have a mild preference for those like 2010 that were made before they added the silly noisemaker to hybrids.

19. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My 2010, bought in August 2009 has 50,000 miles on it. Mechanically it has been totally reliable but I am surprised no one has commented on rattles. I have had 4 or 5. One of them was due to clips for the right front fender. The clips were redesigned a couple of years later and a TSB was issued. The fix is complicated and labor intensive. People who were lucky enough to develop that rattle during the warranty period got the fix for free. I paid over $800 to fix that and another rattle and that was after bargaining the dealer down from $1100.

Now the car doesn't rattle under most circumstances but still feels pretty loose when hitting bumps. I love the car otherwise and expect to keep it a long time unless I can't resist the gen 4. If so, I will have them write on the contract "lifetime rattle repair for original owner" or no deal.

Here is a link to a thread about it including the TSB: Right fender area RPM rattle/buzz - FIXED | PriusChat

#19 royrose, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
  20. hornedfrog

hornedfrog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 with 47K miles. Still on the original tires but they need replacing soon. It has been very reliable and looks like new inside and out. I do have to drive carefully here because of the front overhang and low ground clearance. I have to scrape.