1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Morning with a Blocked Grill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TonyPSchaefer, Dec 19, 2006.

1. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Sep 10 2007, 10:00 AM) [snapback]510014[/snapback]</div>
    I use two different sizes. It is more a matter of personal taste and available materials. I use the larger diameter insulation cut in half lengthwise and folded in half cut to fit the individual upper grill opennings. These are force or "compression" fit and are almost completely unnoticeable. I use the smaller diameter insulation uncut and placed around the lower grill. The two lengths are twist tied with black ties to ensure they don't blow off (as had happen on Barbara's).

2. Massageguy

Massageguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I noticed on page 72 of the 2007 owner's manual it states that,

"...Such changes can interfere with proper operation of the SRS front airbag system in some cases.... Attachment of a grille guard (bull bar, kangaroo bar, etc.)...or any other equipment to the front end..."

Does anyone believe this applies to the pipe foam insulation over the grill ?

3. Massageguy

Massageguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I noticed on page 72 of the 2007 owner's manual it states that,

"...Such changes can interfere with proper operation of the SRS front airbag system in some cases.... Attachment of a grille guard (bull bar, kangaroo bar, etc.)...or any other equipment to the front end..."

Does anyone believe this applies to the pipe foam insulation over the grill ?

4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, won't affect SRS. Grill guards, bull bars and such provide a physical barrier to the impact sensors in the front of the car, the grill blocking has no affect.

Wayne

5. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, won't affect SRS. Grill guards, bull bars and such provide a physical barrier to the impact sensors in the front of the car, the grill blocking has no affect.

Wayne

6. bill02888

bill02888 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 20 2006, 11:16 AM) [snapback]364600[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry for the delayed reply -- the fiberglass insulation used around the ICE concerns me a little. Will some of the glass fibers make it into the cabin, even possibly making it through the cabin air filter? Is there an alternative type of insulation that is sufficiently heat resistant to use for this application?

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bill02888 @ Sep 19 2007, 11:40 PM) [snapback]515137[/snapback]</div>
    I believe the air intake for the cabin is in a seperate area from the insulated area. I've been advised that the real danger here is that that type of insulation isn't adequately flame retardant and that a wool insulation would be a better choice.

8. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 20 2007, 12:33 AM) [snapback]515154[/snapback]</div>
    Actually mineral wool to be precise, melting temperature of about 2,000F more than fiberglass. Can find it at better home center stores or building supply dealers.

Wayne

9. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just reinstalled both the upper and lower. I used the same method as before except now I have an EBH. Tomorrow morning will be my first go at using an EBH for a trip.

10. prim2

prim2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Has anyone with a blocked grill had issues with air conditioning? I have not received my Prius yet, so I don't know the condenser configuration, but it seems to me that blocking the grill may interfere with defogging or initial cooling from solar loads in spring or fall. How has this been addressed? (Or is it a problem at all?)

11. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prim2 @ Oct 13 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]525126[/snapback]</div>
    like almost every other car the air for the a/c and heating comes into the car from between the hood and the windshield, grill blocking will not affect this. Word of note, if it is hot enough to need the air conditioning turned on it is probably not a good idea to do a full block unless you have the ability to closely monitor temps.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Oct 13 2007, 11:08 AM) [snapback]525129[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know where, exactly, the intake vent is for the air, but I'll tell you that with the grills blocked that you get much hotter air intake on vent mode. I'm sure AC works fine, but when you just use vent it's much hotter in warm weather. It's not an issue in cooler weather and in cold weather it's nice b/c the vented air is pre-warmed without having to turn on the heat.

13. prim2

prim2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My apologies for not being clear. I wasn't concerned about the cabin air intake. When you defog or defrost with most automatic systems, the air conditioner runs to dry out the air. If there is no airflow over the condenser unit, it may impact the air conditioner's ability to give up heat (and thus cool or dry the air). So I was interested in how your systems were running with the whole grill blocked off and either a hot cabin on a spring day (with relatively cool outside temp.) or a car full of humid breathers on a very cold day.

I fully intend to block, but can I configure to get some airflow over the condenser without significantly cooling the ICE?

14. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prim2 @ Oct 13 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]525150[/snapback]</div>

I've been using both the engine block heater and the blocked front grills now, this is my second winter season. I've had absolutely NO issues whatsoever with either of those interfering in any way with the Defrost or compressor. Actually, the air from the defrost gets hotter faster with the EBH, and engine temps don't cool down as fast with grill blocked.

i believe there is still sufficient circulation throughout the engine with the grill blocked. The block just minimizes the direct flow of cold air directly onto the motor. I'm actually going to install my block again tomorrow. I've been using the EBH now for about two weeks, but without the grill block, the engine temp drops very very quickly after startup.

Anyway, my 2 cents...... Good luck, I think you'll be fine. B)

15. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prim2 @ Oct 13 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]525150[/snapback]</div>
    I'm new to blocking and have only been doing it for about the past 2 months. I have the top grill completely blocked and from what I've read most recommend keeping it that way permanently. On the lower part there are 5 slits that you can block, I would pretty much recommend blocking the the top 2 slits permanently also, as I have driven it even with 95 degree days and the electric radiator fans still didn't come on. If it is colder than 70 - 75 I would say its fairly safe to block the next two slots for normal driving (not long distance or high speed driving). I haven't experienced blocking the last bottom slot yet as temps here haven't stayed constantly cold yet, my advice from Hobbit was to wait to do a full block under 40 degrees I think.

16. prim2

prim2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All good to know. Thanks for the input guys. By the way, is there room to do the blocking behind the grill, or is "inter-slital" packing pretty much the only way to go?

Geoff

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prim2 @ Oct 13 2007, 07:28 PM) [snapback]525282[/snapback]</div>
    The 'behind the grill' is quite doable.
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/heat...s/pagefour.html

18. CatahoulaB

CatahoulaB Redneck Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is it ok to do this (pipe insulation) mod on a brand new not broken in yet Prius?

CBarn

19. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CatahoulaB @ Nov 6 2007, 08:50 AM) [snapback]535541[/snapback]</div>
    if you read the OAT restrictions on this thread and understand them, yes it's ok to do it on a new Prius.

20. 07seaside

07seaside New Member

Sorry if I'm being redundant but I've been reading about grill blocking ever since I got my Prii and am considering it for this winter.

Here's my question/concern - if you block the upper and lower grills is there still enough air getting to the engine compartment to prevent the engine from overheating.

BTW - I'm not going to perform this 'operation' until the temp is consistently a little cooler.