1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Morning with a Blocked Grill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TonyPSchaefer, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think I'm a believer in this thing. I noticed a significant improvement in my mileage with the upper grill blocked, and half of the lower grill. Outside temps about 50F.

To address those of us thinking about overheating: Am I right in thinking that some sort of engine warning light would appear on the panel if in fact the engine were getting too hot? It wouldn't just fry itself without warning, would it?

54.9 mpg on a 25 mile trip in 50F weather seems pretty good to me; normally, I'd get about 43-45 mpg.
    B

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Jan 9 2007, 05:36 PM) [snapback]373337[/snapback]</div>
    Count me in too. I went the TonyPSchaefer route, and got pre-slitted 3/4" pipe insulation (6 feet for about $2), cut in half lengthwise to get two C's, then cut into sections to fit into the grill. I didn't want to block it up entirely, so I left some small gaps on the top, and had enough left over for two long lengths on the bottom.

Hopefully the picture will upload okay. I got the gray because that's what they had. It looked pretty good when I installed it in the dark garage at night, but in the morning it's pretty obvious it doesn't match my silver paint. Still, it's not too noticeable, took about 10 minutes to install.

Last week with temps in the 40's (about 6'C) I was struggling to reach 43 mpg (I have a 17-minute commute, the first 5 minutes really kills my mileage, even though I can P&G for several miles). This week with temps around freezing or slightly below, I'm averaging 44.6 mpg. A little better, with 15' F temperature drop. I would say at least 3 mpg improvement, not bad for $2 investment and a few minutes of my time. Blocking off the rest of the grill might help more, but I don't have CANview or the like, so I want to play it safe for now. If I was in a place with real winters, like back in northern Minnesota, then I'd take that route, but it's relatively balmy here in the Chicago area.
    [attachmentid=6215]

Attached Files:

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Lookin' good, Nerf.

I think it's about time for another Chicagoland meet-up to compare technique.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

if you could have a look at the belly pan just behind the air dam on the 2k6 and see if there is at least 2 holes approx 4x6" in the pan in front of the rad. If there is I don't think you can ever over heat a Prius in 40F (6C) weather. I have the wife's 2k4 completely blocked off and it will barely get to 85C in +6C weather no matter how far you drive it. Even up steep hills. The function of the two holes in the pan is to allow the Inverter section of the rad to get air flow if the temps switch turns the fans on because of an inverter overheat. I've never had the fan on, even on a 2000' 3 mile climb at 50 MPH. These are the most cold blooded cars I've ever owned.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    with only scangauge, i can only check water temps. but have done one trip to Raymond that was mixed freeway speeds (two lane mountain road actually) but periods where speed was as low as 40 mph uphill. that was 55 miles and temps were 50-53ºF and max water temp was 209ºF.

i have both upper and lower completely blocked off. now i would feel a lot more comfortable reporting converter temps before saying that no one has anything to worry about, but i am pretty convinced that the risk is pretty minimal.

i have also did a trip to Seattle when temps were 57ºF. that was 60 miles at 60 mph on I-5. no issues there either. one of the things that kinda still amazes me is that i will see water temps drop to 195ºF on freeway downhills...

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jan 11 2007, 08:27 AM) [snapback]374107[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm.. I haven't gotten mine above 192 F, but then I haven't had any really long uphills after the car was alreaady warmed up. Generally, I don't see a lot of difference between water temperature and ICE temperature. But, then it's awkward to switch between the different screens with CAN-View fast enough to really track.

Unfortunately, I didn't have CAN-View installed the last time I came and went to/from Olympia, so didn't have a chance to see what it did on longer uphills to the Snoqualmie summit.

Dave M.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    a lot of concern has been voiced over converter temps as well. do you see any changes on those with a blocked radiator. not sure what the temp ranges are from MG1 and 2 but i seem to remember that they were not the same

8. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nerfer,

Go ahead and block the whole thing off. I have a 45 minute in city commute, at 55F outside temp. Scangage never reads above 200F, well below the fans kicking on. Also taken a warmed up car from downtown, down the DanRyan at 55MPH (yeah I was going slow) onto I-57 off at 119th, never above 195F.

Wayne

9. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jan 10 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]373963[/snapback]</div>
    I don't see those holes on my belly pan (2006). But even so, it sounds from other respected voices that it'll be safe to block off more. I might do that this weekend again, spring for another $2, since next week is supposed to finally get really cold around here. We've had something like 33 straight days of above normal temperatures (often 10-15'F above normal) in the Chicago region, but that's going to change soon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jan 10 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]373926[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Tony. I didn't make the last one, it would be good to schedule another.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jan 11 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]374218[/snapback]</div>
    My 2004 has them. They're much easier to see if you remove the top decorative plastic trim that goes between the grille and the radiator support.

11. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This was the first morning with my upper and lower grills blocked. And I drove on a new route in to work this morning. :D I'm very excited:

The first 5 minutes were great (for a cold start up)
    [​IMG]

Mileage for the trip (according to ScanGauge)
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the picture quality. My cellphone was all I had with me.

12. Frank Hudon

what was the OAT?
    Edit: that's darn nice mpg! for winter

13. poodlemaster

poodlemaster New Member

where do you get the pipe insulation at?

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    great job sky!!

my morning commute...

37.4 mpg... OAT 21ºF..BRRRR!! Max Water temp....161ºF

trip was only 5.2 miles...but same trip that i can get 48-51 mpg in normal winter weather which is about 45-50ºF

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    very nice

Dave, I'm holding on to 49mpg (up from 48mpg). Or 4.9L/100km down to 4.8L/100km. If I can do that, I'm wondering what the insulation would do. 4.7L/100km (50mpg) sounds good to me.

16. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(poodlemaster @ Jan 12 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]374982[/snapback]</div>
    Home Despot or any plumbing supply store.

17. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jan 12 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]374692[/snapback]</div>
    I'll answer for him, since we're both in Central VA. It was in the low 40s.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 12 2007, 07:24 PM) [snapback]375022[/snapback]</div>
    Scratch that. Yesterday's venture knocked it back to 47mpg (5.0L/100km).

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am maintaining at 50.0 MPG in this winter so far....

20. Frank Hudon

just can't seem to break the 5.3 mark on account of all the slush and ice and then getting stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam because people don't know how to drive in snow and ice. If it would just get back up above freezing for a while I could probably get it down to 5.1 or 5.2 But as usual climate change is precluding that. So I guess I'm paying extra for sitting in my car trying to get to work.