1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Morning with a Blocked Grill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TonyPSchaefer, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 14 2007, 05:15 PM) [snapback]375638[/snapback]</div>
    Aww come on now you could start a new trend in "trendy California" what with the block heater cord hanging out of the grill. What a conversation piece that would be! "Yes when it gets cold here I just plug in the block heater like they do in the central states. And it gives me better mileage as well." You could be the talk of the town! :rolleyes:

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Jan 14 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]375555[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I just have to challange your assertion. How can electric heat be dryer than engine heat? Heat is heat, no matter its source. Absent an additional source of humidity, electric and engine heat are the same dryness. Unless, of course, your Prius has a tiny leak in the heater core so it's misting engine coolant into the heated airflow, but that's an added source of humidity. Is there a sort of sweet smell coming from your vents?

Also, the Prius has electric heating elements, used to warm the cabin air before the engine coolant is warm enough to share its heat with the passengers. We want to get the ICE warm first to reduce pollution. If you're very observant, you'll notice warm air blowing on your feet, with AC in automatic mode, well before the ICE is warm enough to make a contribution.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just refuelled today. It's just above freezing (1°C) and after 26kms, I'm at 3.7L/100km which is exactly what I'd get during the summer on the same route. Sweet!

4. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I had a wonderful 64.8MPG trip into work this morning. Of course, it was 62ºF. Tomorrow should be much worse (it's supposed to drop 30º+ overnight). Damn that cold weather!

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Jan 16 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]376420[/snapback]</div>
    haha. You're finally getting winter on the east coast.

6. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just installed this myself (first cool day here in Boston). It seems to make a difference in how fast the engine heats up, how much warm air gets pushed into the cabin and makes the prius more likely to shut the ICE down. Not bad for a $4 mod. I think I'll keep it in until the weather turns 50 again.

/Robert

7. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yep. It's here. Although the temperature this morning was still higher than the normal temperature for today.

28ºF this morning and 53.1MPG on my morning commute of 11 miles. I need that block heater to get my first 5 minute bar up.

8. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I havn't had my grill blocked long enough to get the mileage on a full tank yet, but I can report that the car does definately warum up faster. Even this morning in 17 degree weather, I drove the first 5 minute bar without the heat on, then turned it on and it was very warm and toasty!!! I'll report back what mileage differential I get on the full tank with the grill blocked. Later!! :D

9. lunatuna

lunatuna New Member

[​IMG]
    Blocked my grill today. We finally got some snow in NJ! Whoever came up with this idea, thank you! I think I'll have to add those black plastic ties to the bottom two.

10. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well like I said a few pages back I would do this when I got a Can-View sometime next year. Well its next year and I have a Can-View :D Plus the temps finally look like they are going to be below 60 degrees for a change. Looks like the next 10 days will be around the mid 30s.

I did whats now known as the efusco method or as I like to call it the Super-Cool-Ultra-Mile-Per-Gallon-Gas-Saver-Winter-Time-Block-Grill-Jay-Groh-Method-Superfly. :D

I went to Lowe's and bought one length of the 1" smooth black stuff with the sticky stuff. Cost about $6 after tax.

I cut the stuff in half and it was the perfect fit for both top and bottom.

On the top I just stuffed it in and zip tied it to the chrome grille.

The bottom piece I put zip ties around the center slots so I could adjust the foam as needed. I can open the top and bottom slots if the temperature gets too warm.

Lessons learned on this project.

1. The sticky stuff that comes on the foam pipe insulation is worthless. At least after you pull it off. I tested a piece and when you peel it off the sticky stuff sticks to the car and rips off the foam. I just left the plastic peel off stuff on the foam.

2. When you lay on the ground in front of the car near the horn be sure to take the FOB out of your pocket so you don't accidentally press the panic button. You may go deaf for a while and have to change you pants.

I will report back on my results.

Here is what it looks like.
    [​IMG]

Close view of the bottom grille.
    [​IMG]

Here is the bottom open up for the top and bottom slots.
    [​IMG]

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok just filled up and as far as weather goes, probably be a long time before we ever see a worse two weeks as far as good gas mileage goes. havent posted figures on signature but filled up at 8.907 gallons with 448.8 miles @50.0 mpg on MFD and 50.3 mpg per the pump figures.

that is a good 2-3 mpg higher than what i averaged last winter without the fronts.

12. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So we've been getting this cold weather in California recently. Nothing really passing 50 degrees outside. I've read almost every post.. and it seems that under 50 this is a good idea for the top grills but not the bottom....

Could this be something i should consider? I'm not really in it for the MPG game.. i drive faster than most and i've been noticing that the ICE stays on longer than usual.

Just curious. I may not even do it.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    normal winter weather is about 40-45º for typical temps hitting the low 50's occasionally. i think its pretty safe to block both if under 50º. but its really your call. i drive conservatively, so rare sudden accelerations, etc.

i have done over 55 miles one way @ 60 mph on the freeway and temps in the 50's with no ill effects. in fact, i have never had the fans come on one time. when i first blocked off the grill, i was pretty paranoid about it, but i dont really worry about it much anymore.

14. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe i'll try it.. i know i have issues heating myself up lately.. my poor prius....

i do notice it doesn't heat up like other cars.. mainly the exhause "ping" you hear after shutting it off.. in any situation (auto crossing, racing, etc) the prius never "pings".... *shrug*

maybe i'll get better mpg with my normal driving style.. probably not.. but maybe..

15. Philmo

Philmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    FYI: Our local Lowe's (Denver) carry a foam pipe insulation that very nearly matches the Dune Pearl model. One piece cut in half will fill the upper two gaps using the "compression fit". Pre-slit lengthwise, one piece cut in half will cover two lower gaps when wrapped over a lower opening fin, sandwich-style. No adhesives used. And my wife knows exactly what to do, without tools, if she ever sees the temp warning light come on.

When my hands warmup I'll cut some vertical slits for a better fit. I haven't driven enough since to make reliable mileage comparisons but it is sure nice to have the heater up and running within one mile of my outbound downhill glide.

16. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Ok, my last couple of tanks with the grill blocked have been 45 and 47 mpg. This is up from 41-43 mpg since winter set in here. I think it will be averaged around 46-47 in the long run. So is this mod worth it? for $3.00 and 15 minutes of my time, its GREAT!! I highly recommend anyone in the colder climates try this. I installed mine with the Tony Schaefer method, the insulation is barely noticable, even on a silver pine mica. If I start out in the morning with the heat off, and wait until the second 5 minute bar and then turn it on, its already very warm and comfey. I think its a great mod, and it does seem to have a positive effect on mileage, and its cheap!! so there's really no reason not to. :D :D

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your application looks good. I used the same material but compression fit smaller pieces between the vertical supports which makes it almost unnoticeable. I'm not ready to block up the bottom yet. It isn't consistantly cold enough yet. How did you tie it off without removing the panels?

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If anyone's wondering, it'll hold up to high pressure touchless car washes.

I took my Prius in for a bath yesterday and it held up well. What's even more surprising is that no water seeped into the gap caused by the garage door incident earlier this month. Thank goodness for duct tape! haha.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My average mpg went down to 49.9 MPG now. That is not bad considering it has been very cold 21 - 35 deg F. I can probably bring it back up by driving 60-65 mph instead of 65-70 mph.

Dennis

20. chimohio

chimohio New Member

I blocked my upper grill a few weeks ago and saw some improvement - I just blocked the top half of my bottom grill tonight so will have to check it out. Since I cannot tell the ICE temp, I am leary about blocking the entire bottom grill. Right now temps are in the mid 20's.
    I opened and put the 3/4 inch foam on - what is the best way to hold it in place - my tye wraps do not fit well all the way around. How have you done yours?