1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First "no key" alert using SKS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mikepaul, May 31, 2005.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    About 17 months into ownership, I got the little "no key" light when trying to start the car with the fob in my pocket. Only once so far.

If it happens again, I'm going to pull out the spare fob (hopefully not too drained just sitting around) and use that one until it starts to get weak then replace the first battery, but has anyone else run into this yet?...

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once or twice...but I think it was from interference. That said, it's probably a weak battery at 17 months. Why not just replace it and be done with it?

In any case, if you decide to use the spare be sure to remove the drained battery from the original fob to avert any chance the battery leaks over the next 18 months and damages the fob.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If I need to worry about any fob battery leaking, shouldn't I pull the one out of the spare then not put one back? If I lose the one fob, I can live with an unpowered one for the time it takes to get another battery. They don't need semi-constant power to remember how to talk to the car, right?

I had no worries about that leaking issue until just a moment ago...

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry, didn't mean to worry you. I honestly don't know what causes batteries to leak, but I've never seen it with new/well charged batteries, only old mostly drained ones. It may not be an issue at all with the ones for the fob. Just seems a reasonable precaution...if the battery is drained...thus of no use...why leave it in risking problems.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You can start the car with a fob that doesn't have batteries, but you can't unlock the car with the fob itself. You have to use the mechanical key.