1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First oil change at 10k or 5k?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mediahound, Jan 15, 2014.

1. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I will report back...if I remember...haha.
    I have a feeling I will hit the 6 month marker before the 5K marker, but that means they have to change the oil anyways.

Side question...do I have to input the information into the vehicle maintenance area of my navigation for it to know when to ping me for service...or is that a separate notification system? Seems like a separate one for those who want to really log EVERYTHING on the car. Thanks!

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Isn't 6 months also the "severe service" interval ??

I don't know about the service log with the NAV; my "cheap" model just has mileage minders. :)

3. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can always over analyze it like the guys over at bobistheoilguy.com and do UOA (used oil analysis).

mtbiker53 and PriusGuy32 like this.
  4. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree! They are a great guide, instead of guessing.
    Heres my last UOA:

Attached Files:

nodrogkam likes this.
  5. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Haha - So I received 3 different notices from Toyota and one from my dealer showing me the service intervals. The sticker on my windshield also shows the intervals as being what is advertised.

[​IMG]

6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did my first oil change at 5K miles, and plan to change oil every 5K miles, also plan to keep my car forever!

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  7. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    .... forever, meaning until the new re-design 2015's come out! :LOL:

8. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The comparison of 5k vs 10k for oil changes is useless for most drivers. The only benefit is peace of mind. The scare tactics some state if you don't do it, assumes manufacturing is still in the dark ages and there is all kinds of junk inside the ICE that cause it to wear out much faster. I would like to see some documented evidence that shows Toyota, Porche, GM, or any other auto manufacturer that their factory recommended maintenance intervals are wrong. It's rare, even for Prius owners to keep their cars 200k or 300k miles before moving on to another vehicle, which is the point of extra maintenance, isn't it? And those who do keep their Prius that long, I wonder the % of those who did all the extra maintenance outside the manufacturer recommended - it's likely very low.

9. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Please note that the 5K and 15K service lists do NOT include an oil change.
    So back to the original request:
    If you ask them to change the oil at 5K, please let us know if they charge you for that.......and how much.

nodrogkam likes this.
  10. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sir, I stand corrected. I do need to read...can I blame it on a very long week and workday? Haha.

If that's the case I almost find it a waste of time to bring the car in for service. I would only go in once a year - which sounds amazing to me in a good way.

Maybe I will qualify for secret service since I make frequent short trips with hills and traffic in SF...not to mention hard on brakes and gas to avoid distracted drivers...

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How about this:

In the States, Toyota says 10000 miles or 12 months.

In Canada, Toyota says 8000 kilometers (roughly 5000 miles) or 6 months.

Sorry for being a broken record on this, but this strikes me as a flip-flop. Couple this with the lifetime Transaxle fluid...

And BTW: while they're having ice storms south of the Mason-Dixon line, here in greater Vancouver the current temperature is +11 Celcius.

Merkey likes this.
  12. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mendel, yes it may look like a flip-flop, but what point are you trying to make? How is it wrong? Is the US mileage limit too long or is Canada's mileage too short? Is there documented proof that shows we should be doing anything different?

13. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The documented proof will come when a large number of cars that have had their oil changed at 10K (vs. 5K) go past 100K, 150K and 200K miles and either do, or do not, develop oil related problems, such as: excess wear to rings, bearings, valve guides, plastic timing chain guides; high oil consumption; power loss; etc. Before that time, it is just a matter of opinion and how strong your faith is in Toyota marketing claims.

14. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So far, I've not seen anything documented that Prius owners with 100k, 200k or even some approaching 300k mile have any mechanical issues related to higher mileage oil change intervals, assuming they followed the specified guidelines. The highest amount of wear occurs in the few seconds right after start up until there is sufficient oil pressure and circulation, so if we could solve that problem, oil change intervals could be stretched out even longer.

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How about people post their specific professions with their opinions as a qualifier here, because I certainly would not go to my accountant for medical advice either.

Manufactures do not want your cars to last "problem free" much beyond 100,000 or the service department wouldn't make any "good" money, plus they couldn't sell you the latest and greatest new vehicle per marketing. Keep the junkie hooked on car payments for life, then rape the used car buyer with repairs because the original owner believed in lifetime fluids and bare minimum maintenance. ;)

Merkey and orenji like this.
  16. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK, you start.
    Explaining how you have so much insight into what"auto makers" think might be a good place to begin.

No, please don't.
    How about you just lighten up a bit instead ??

As for the Canada thing, that difference in recommendation is not unique to Toyota.
    The car makers consider driving in Canada "severe service".
    Maybe they thing the temp never gets above 0 C all year long.

17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Aircraft Mechanic...and your Profession is?

I have already said twice now on this thread, "your car your choice". I am not going to tell people how to think or what to do with their property. The lives of people everyday depend on mine and others in my Profession's knowledge, skill and wisdom. But to let some internet search engine "expert" or backyard hobby mechanic tell me my business...is a joke. I know what I am doing and what I am talking about here. Can you get by with 10,000 mile oil changes and staying with Toyota's schedule?...yes, but this is bare minimum required/suggested and not ideal for long term trouble resistant service life. You could probably go 100,000 miles without changing your oil if you keep adding, but god help the next owner if it makes it that long. Again do what you want, but my opinions and credentials are qualified as it pertains...are yours? Do you argue with your Physician this way too? Oil "discussions" always have and will be polarized, but it is usually between the informed and uninformed. There is a difference between proper and preventative maintenance vs bare minimum and cheap. I will bow out now so enjoy your Prius because, while not perfect, it truly is one of the most reliable cars to come around in a long time. ;)

#57 frodoz737, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I pay $65.00 for the extra oil change at 5K miles, not a big deal.

19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Forever like owning a 30 year old Peugeot, 23 year old Lexus and a 22 year old Jeep. I paid good money so why sell if they still work well. Extra and early maintenance goes a long way. You take care of well designed and engineered machines and they will last for life.

20. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The majority of people don't keep their cars forever. Even if they kept them a really long time, what does the extra maintenance buy you other than peace of mind? I can find plenty of youtube videos showing what happens when you don't follow factory recommended oil change intervals, or not at all in some cases. Really - some people do that?

But where is the evidence that shows if you go by manufacturer recommended maintenance intervals, at 100k or 200k or 300k your car will be so far gone that you either need to dump it or give it a major overhaul? We're no longer in the 60's, 70's, 80's, or even 90's. Today you have new alloys and materials, high tech lubricants, and manufacturing techniques that literally make the decades mentioned above look like the dark ages. Why the insistence that we still need to live in that era?