1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Oil Change at less than 1000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Argyros, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I bought a Boss also in the 4967 size, both Ultra and it were at a slight discount on Amazon. Ultra was made the 352nd day in 2023 and I ordered it Jan 16. I just put the Ultra on a few minutes ago, nice day here. A couple seconds of what I would call quiet start up noise before filter fills. I put a small amount of oil in new filter and rotated it just to get some in. About a 1/2 cup or so of engine oil came out when old filter, N1 removed. Engine ran through it’s so called warm up cycle and stopped. Filter warm, but just barely. So oil is not getting very hot in the warm up cycle. Engine sounded very good underneath where it is easy to hear things. I like to check if filter gets warm before finishing.
    It is easy to do an oil change on this car but need ramps. My 07 I managed it without ramps.

2. DOHCtor

DOHCtor Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    There you go. Japan made OE filter.

P.S. Better late then never i guess..

Attached Files:

#62 DOHCtor, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  3. Jabog6

Jabog6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Related question (not sure if this should go in the Prime forum):

Drove my 24 Prime 21 miles to the dealer for the 5000 miles service, and I paid them extra for an oil change. I understand the debate and chose to have it done.

Question is: I got there on electric power only so my engine was cold. It only occurred to me after they started. Any thoughts on oil & filter change with a cold engine?

Thank you,

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Warm is preferred simply because the oil flows faster, and could drain more completely. Maybe having been recently mixed, more particles are suspended in the fluid column. That doesn't make changing the oil when it is cold bad.

The main goal of the oil change is to replace the additives which get used over the course of operation and time. I little bit more old oil left in the pan isn't going to make much difference for that, and a new filter will catch leftover particles.

Jabog6 likes this.