1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First oil change in view of the new 10K interval.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rhino, Jan 6, 2010.

1. jloss

jloss New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Those of you who insist on changing the "break-in" oil early, feel free to waste your money. Newer engines like the Prius has have been machined with much finer tolerances than existed years (and years) ago. Having to change the oil early is an old wives tale. Another wasteful practice is having to change regular oil every 3,000 miles (oil change store gimic to get your business more frequently). With synthetic oil like the Prius has, there is no need to change it any more frequently than 10k. Your Prius will last just as long as the guy who changes his every 5k.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Too late for some of us who already had our 5k service.

3. Btallie

Btallie New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

S0 Jloss

Are you saying that I shouldn't get the oil changed every 5K as is suggested by my dealership and the owners maintence manuel?? I have done both the 5k and now am ready to do the 10k. So I not do the 15, 20, 25 but spread it out more??

4. Btallie

Btallie New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

So are you saying I shouldn't get it changed every 5k as suggested by my car dealership and the owners maintence manual??

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's been officially changed. See the link contained within this thread.

6. epi117

epi117 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I changed mine at 3 months (last weekend) had 2k on car, was free oil change from dealer, im just going to do it every 6 months after that since i dont drive much.

7. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are many school of thought on this one.

1. The engine is breaking in and wearing fast and the parts are mating to each other. A lot of metal shavings and other contaminants are in the oil. A long time ago, my motorcycle came with recommendations for a 500 mile oil first change. My generator, lawn mower, and other small engines all came with a oil change recommendation after the first 2 hours. So this is a reasonable position. If you believe that this applies to your car engine, you should change the oil ASAP for the longest engine life.

2. The designers are counting on the increase wear of the first dirty oil to grind down the engine for a good fit. In fact, the first oil in the engine is a special breaking in oil (i.e., less lubrication, single weight, whatever) just for wearing and mating the parts. So if you change oil too soon, its interrupts this process and the engine is never fully broken in. So don't change the oil unless specified by the manufacturer.

3. The designer knows all about the breaking in the engine is designed not to need breaking in. So don't change the oil unless specified by the manufacturer.

4. Any noticeable effect would only be noticeable after 200,000 miles so don't worry about it. Engine failure is not a problem in modern cars. You are not keeping the car that long even though that's what you are thinking right now because of new car enthusiasm. So don't change the oil unless specified by the manufacturer.

I am just relaying the various theories. I currently like #4.