1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

first oil change:ramps for oil change? what oil filters fit? how much oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    car has 4800 miles my first oil change...do I use ramps for oil change?

do i even need to jack the car?

what oil filters fit? please post filter numbers.

how much oil in crank case with new filter?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have never needed to raise my 1st gen at all - the drain plug and the filter are both easily accessible from the front of the car toward the right, with the car sitting on the ground. The filter mounts vertically, so you can even completely fill the new filter with oil before attaching it so there's no pressure delay on first start while the filter fills.

Check the manual for the total oil capacity. My 1st gen is 3.9 US quarts - which includes the amount used to fill the filter. PriusChat has lots of recommendations to watch the amount closely and avoid overfilling.

-Chap

3. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I honestly found the clearance a little tight without raising the car. Yes, it could be done, but alot of it would have to be done by feel. From that perspective, I found the ramps to be very helpful. With the ramps this became probably the easiest oil change I've ever done. Both the filter and drain plug are in easy to get to locations at the front of the engine.

I honstly don't remember the number of the filter, but the Gen II Prius is listed in all the filter books. There are a number of threads around here on the brand, with a predictable range in opinions.

With respect to the file volume, well, the the book says 3.9 quarts with a filter change. However, if you're concerned about not overfilling, try putting in three, and then adjusting the fill level once the front wheels are back on the ground and the car is level. There's also quite a few posts on fill level around here.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You may find the details & photos in the download of this Prius document helpful: Changing Oil

5. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had a set of ramps, but they did not work well with the Prius. The car is so low that it hit the ramps before the car started going up the ramp. I now simply use two pieces of of 2"x6" on each front wheel. One piece about a foot long the other 18". Stack them on top of each other how you wish and drive up on them. this raises the front 3" which works for me. And easier to store than those clumsy ramps.

PA P

6. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    with socket type filter wrench, i have no problem changing oil and filter w/o raising car. i use toyota filter oem 90915-yzzf2 and mobil 1 full synthetic

7. jlchellman

jlchellman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you want to use ramps you must use the "LOW PROFILE" type so the front end doesn't hit the older style mentioned above. Good luck!

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can *just barely* get my old red steel ramps under the front
    bumper, and only if the terrain in front of the car doesn't curve
    the wrong way. I cut out a couple of 2x8 "parallelogram" pieces
    to hop the car up onto first to help with that.
    But I don't use ramps for oil changes; I simply push the left
    side of the car [yes, the left] up a little bit with the jack just
    enough to unweight that side of the suspension a little. That
    raises the whole front somewhat and tilts it slightly toward the
    oil drain on the right. Then everything's easy to access by going
    under the front.
    _H*

9. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have low profile ramps and it's easy-peasy. I just changed my oil an hour ago. I use Bosch filters, 3311 is the part number. Here's a page with some more filters listed. Prius uses the same filter as my Camry, so that makes life just a little easier.

I installed a fumoto valve on my oil drain on my last oil change and used it for the first time this time around. It makes the oil change much faster and cleaner, but just a little slower to drain.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I park on the sloped patch of grass in front of my garage and slide myself right under. After having trouble with clearance for the filter wrench, I discovered I could spin the filter off by hand. A headlamp was very useful the first time, but now that I know where everything is, I just go by feel.

11. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bring my tire shop three quarts of Mobil 1. Even with a filter, this brings the level about 1/3 of the way between the low and high marks.

The next day, I check it and add a bit more; maybe 12 ounces.

12. bjjb99

bjjb99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've been having difficulty locating low profile ramps, or at least none of the ramps I've seen have "Low Profile" written on the box. Could anyone out there recommend a manufacturer/part number for a set of low profile ramps?

BJJB

13. Picasso Moon

Picasso Moon Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    RhinoRamps should work. I have set of them but honestly I've never used them with the Prius because I also have a pair of 2x12's about 3' long with a 45º cut on one end. These provide me with plenty of clearance for changing the oil.

14. bjjb99

bjjb99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I checked out Rhino Ramps, and they state a 17 degree angle for the ramps. When I went out and measured (approximately) the angle between the bottom of the front wheel and the front air dam, it worked out to be around 12 degrees or so.

The only option I've seen for a commercially made ramp are Race Ramps, which have around a 10.7 degree angle to them. A bit pricey for me, so I will probably stick with a couple of home made ramps.

BJJB

15. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe Rhino makes different models because the Rhino Ramps I have fit just fine under the Prius.

16. joel7269

joel7269 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have Rhino Ramps and have used them for the prius many times and it clears no problem at all.

17. Margana

Margana Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is very little clearence under the Prius; you can easily access and see the drain plug, but you cannot see the oil filter unless you have a very small head and do not mind your face being so close to the underpinnings....:)

I still think its easiest to use a floor jack, placing it at the "pich weld" where you would place the car's emergency jack. If you are concerned about the jack lowering and crushing your head (which is a concern) then place a bottle jack under the beam than runs parallel to the side of the car (there isn't enough clearance for a jack stand unless you REALLY crank up the Prius to the point (at least for me) that the engine is canted to the left). You really need enough space that you can see the oil filter seat once the filter has been removed to make sure it's clean so the O ring will have an oil tight seal....

It has been discussed in much detail about getting OEM filters and crush washers. 3.5 Quarts for me get's the oil level to the top mark on the dip stick....(2008 Prius)

18. redhandeddenial

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i just bought some rhino ramps and they worked like a charm.

little over 3.5 quarts of castrol 5/30 full synthetic oil and a k&N premium oil fliter( i usually use a pureONE filter but they were out of stock)

19. bjjb99

bjjb99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'll definitely have to take a second look at Rhino Ramps, as they're far more affordable than the very low profile Race Ramps.

BJJB

20. redhandeddenial

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

i think i paid 35.99 at autozone.

gl!