1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Oil Change...Wait 10K Miles?

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by Oldwolf, May 18, 2012.

1. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I looked all through the forums for this subject. I will ask my dealer this question too when I pick up my C next week.

Maybe I am still too old school but on the few new cars I have bought, I would change the oil at something like 1000 miles the first time just to get rid of any shavings or contaminates.

In today's engines though, maybe the factory fill has break-in additives or something similar to help the new engine.

Maybe just an early filter change is needed...or nothing 'til 10k?

But then, the Toyota manual doesn't mention anything about early first oil changes, and I bet they know what is best for the engine after all.

What did you guys do on your C's, early or wait it out?

2. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    my brother told me to do it at 2k so I'm in the same boat as you and i only have 600 some miles on my c

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There you go! Every 1 year/10,000 miles. (that would be every 4 months if I had a Prius c)

Lil' Blue likes this.
  4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Whatever makes you feel good.

I did mine early. Others that think every drop of oil is a precious gift from mother earth will tell you to wait as long as possible. Yet others are afraid to anything that isn't approved from Toyota. Old timers want to get the khrap out and get some clean oil in.

Assembly lubes are for assembly. If they assisted with break in I doubt they would be needed all the way to 10k miles. They serve no purpose past assembly. That I recall there has not been anything found in analyzed factory fill oil that would indicate an break in additives in a modern oil.

Early won't hurt. On time won't hurt. Whatever floats yer boat.

snead_c likes this.
  5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm NOT going to say that I'm incredible (I'm just a little smarter than the average bear.) but I'm going to change the oil in my "v" at 3,000-3,500 miles, just to get the assembly lune out. 10K is just too long to wait. the oil and the filter is cheap in the long run.

At 2,100 miles, right now, the oild is just turning a little yellow. I'll let the dealer do the next change "for free" at 10K.

6. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i'm waiting until 10K until my first oil change.. anything before that is really unnecessary and a waste of money.

dellrio, schorert and ianblake like this.
  7. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In this case I'd have to agree with Squall, I'm usually the change it early guy, not with this car, I'm at 5k on my v3 and the oil has barely changed color, I see no point in changing oil that looks fresh, besides...it's not like your going to get an extra 20k out of your ICE changing it early, actually you'll impead piston ring seating if you change it to early.

8. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have no issues waiting for first at 10K

Another thing to add is my all time overall EV % is over 50%
    So reality is about 5K give or take.

I know this doesnt have to do with the 10K Toyota recommends,
    as they have it on their non hybrids also.

They warranty millions of the cars for 10K oil changes, so I dont think they are playing
    any foolishness here.

bgil likes this.
  9. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    there is no doubt for us c owners. squall is the man!! ( in his own charming way):)

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed the oil at 10,000mi.. I don't think manufacturers are even using break-in oil anymore. Don't forget, they're all under the gun to save resources. Have you noticed, there's more and more use of electrical assist power steering instead of hydraulic.

11. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    When I picked up my new C4 this weekend my dealer said you don't need to change the oil prior to the 10k mark.

12. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You guys can check out the report I posted at 1k if you search here. It looked very good and no wear metal so Im also using the factory fill until 10k. I will at 5k send the oil out again for an analysis and post again.

13. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
  14. magtataho1

magtataho1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    In BC or probably in Canada, the recommended change oil is every 8000Km or 6 months which ever comes first. The days wherein the car needs a change oil after 1000km is just a recommendation from the dealership (salesman) you bought the car from. It is another way of service dept to get something extra from the customer.

15. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This was why I left mine and did an oil report which looked great. The add pack is different on the factory oil for the break in just like the Honda guy posted on the site.

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just like to remind everyone during these oil change interval discussions that Toyota's change from 5k to 10k miles was not originally based on an engineering decision. When the 2010 Gen III first came out in the summer of 2009 the OCI was listed as 5k miles in the Maintenance and Warranty Manual.

It was not until owners started complaining about the higher costs of the synthetic 0W20 oil changes and the mileage between changes remaining the same. It was pointed out again and again that the synthetic oils were capable of going up to 10k miles or more. IIRC it was not until after the first of 2010 before Toyota finally relented, changed the OCI to 10k miles and sent out revised Maintenance and Warranty Manuals. So this was more of a marketing decision dealing with disatisfied customers than it was an engineering decision.

Of course the engineers were probably saying all along that the OCI could safely go to 10k miles but the marketing arm overrode and the OCI started out at 5k. I am sure the dealers were against this and having to give up a service opportunity. They did not change the maintenance warning on the MID and left that at 5k :) stating that you still needed a tire rotation, inspection and fluid level checks.

SILVERCwSUN and Oldwolf like this.
  17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It does look strange when you see that in every other country apart from the US/Canada the oil change interval even on the gen 2 Prius is and always has been 10,000miles or one year.

18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Oil protection does keep getting better. Plus, cleaner fuels put less crap in the crankcase.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just looking Toyota's maintenance requirement for a regular 3rd gen Prius:

For the transaxle: leave the fluid in, forever, LOL.

For engine oil changes, they do a flip-flop at the 49th parallel in North America: in Canada the oil change interval is 6 months or 8000 kilometers (5000~ miles).

20. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Elsewhere in the C forums there is a 5W40 thread. What is most interesting is the OP is from Singapore and his dealer recommends a first oil change at 1000km.