1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Oil Change: Where?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BellaHMB, Nov 19, 2007.

1. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

My Prius just reached 4000 miles and is doing great! And with the holidays
    coming Im thinking that I will need an oil change sometime around Xmas
    or maybe before if I take it in early.

So is it recommended that I go to the dealer?
    And what should I ask for ie basic oil change
    or do they check other things and charge you lots? ;)

I appreciate any help.

Victoria

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suggest that you use the Toyota recommended maintenance at the 5000 mile intervals (oil and filter change, and tire rotation). That said, you can take the car anywhere you feel comfortable. Just make sure they use the correct oil and don't overfill. I usually ask for 3.5 quarts of oil which leaves the level just below the full mark on the dipstick.

Personally I would use the dealer for the first oil change and ask them to go over everything, since it will be its first inspection. But the choice is yours. Just keep good records in the event of a warranty issue later on.

The cost should be around 50 bucks at the dealer.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The forums have reports of dealers doing (and charging for) more than what the Prius maintenance schedule calls for. Make sure you tell the dealer the specific maintenance tasks you want done based on what you read from the schedule, not "5000 mile maintenance."

There are also reports of dealers overfilling the oil. This potentially costs you fuel economy. Specify you want no more than 3.5 quarts, and check the dipstick before you leave their lot after the fill.

Oil and filter changes are easy DIY jobs on the Prius if you're even a little inclined mechanically. Saves you time, money, and the frustration of an overcharge or shoddy work.

4. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Nov 19 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]541543[/snapback]</div>
    now if you do it yourself , how do you proof to the dealer that you did the maintenance for warranty issues in the future?
    Would keeping the receipt be enough? Pictures? Video... anyone ever have this problem> ?

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(omgitsroy326 @ Nov 19 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]541631[/snapback]</div>
    For starters, the burden would be on the dealer and Toyota to prove that failure to change oil caused engine damage. As for me, I keep receipts of all the oil and filters I buy, and I keep a log showing the date and mileage the oil was changed. It's probably unnecessary, but I also take date-stamped digital pictures of each oil change in progress and of the odometer reading.

6. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to a dealer for my 5000 and 10,000. Hoping to keep on the tradition. I tell them how much oil to put as per advice on folks here at PC. They also top off other fluids. It costs me about $50, but it's a hassle free thing that I enjoy. A little "maintainence" booklet came with the car, and the dealer stamps it everytime I go (it has seperate pages for each 5000 miles).

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer, because they have the best chance of actually knowing how to drive the car (or at least no excuse for not knowing how), but *do not* tell them you want "their 5,000 mile service". They'll service you, alright, and charge you for stuff that cannot even be done to a Prius. Take the Maintenance Guide that came with the car to the service writer, open it up to the 5,000 mile/6 months page and tell them to do those things, no more and no less.