1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Oil Change!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by magarmuch, Apr 26, 2012.

1. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you raise an interesting point. It might not make any difference, although it might. Engineers could be allowed to design engines for long life spans, but marketing may have driven Toyota's selection of 10,000 mile intervals. I haven't studied it extensively, so I think owners should make their own decision.

I suppose the owner can be as critical a factor as engine condition. If it truly reduces owner stress, then change the oil early. There is room for debate between an oil change by 5,000 miles vs 10,000 miles. However, there is no debate that 3,000 mile intervals are wasting both money and resources. I"m a fan of minimal engine wear over strict penny pinching, but I recognize there is a point of diminishing returns.

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the car have any oil life monitoring for the engine? If not, that's probably why Toyota has chosen 10,000 miles for the change.

3. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The variables involved are many. What filter was used. What oil was used. What routes taken. Lots of engine use. Little engine use. High rpm driver. Low rpm driver. Cold weather. Hot weather.

There are oil analysis results at BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy) site discussed. 5k mi. 7-8k mi. 10k mi. Some were great, some not so much. I had an analysis done at my 1500mi change. Plenty of break-in metals. Now there isn't.

You can change it when you want, still. I'll do several changes with analysis to see what change interval my chosen oil and driving styles will determine.

For those without the ability or inclination to know about their oil, stick to what Toyota tells you and feel good about it. If you want to be different, you may.

4. almypal26

almypal26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

If 10K makes you uncomfortable, change it 7500 miles. Or check your oil after 5K and change it when you deemed necessary. The oil in my last car was changed by the dealer (service covered by dealer) at a 15K interval, I changed the oil at 7.5K for peace of mind.:D

5. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My first Porsche Cayenne is 20k or 2 years -- I always though that was a bit long. They have now reduced it to around 15k on later models -- Engine holds 9.5 quarts.

Nevre drive it 10k per year so never hit the 20k. By 13 - 15k it looks dirty