1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Place To Start, When dealing with Start up knock/hammering?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jrlh, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Jrlh

Jrlh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Own 2010 Prius IV . Now has 205k ....First Fall I owned this car It made a hammering sound on one start up. That was three years ago. My wife drives 100mi. one way to work, arrives, parks car , when she returns after work, she says it hammers and shakes for a full minute before quieting down.

It throws a CK ENG code of miss-fire, so far I have changed the plugs. unfortunately it did it again on me this-morning. I know this can be several things....I am just trying to narrow down the probabilities, before I spend thousands on an endless search for my fix.

Next I was going to clean EGR....Or should I replace coils? or Intake first? So many things can cause a miss-fire. Just figure there has to be a fix that is more probable than others.

Thanks

amos likes this.
  2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The first place to start was the plugs. Monitor your coolant level, and clean the entire EGR system. My 2010 popped the HG at roughly 213k. If you have no sign of coolant loss, the complete EGR cleaning should solve it. Pay particular attention to the ports in the intake. Both the actual intake ports, and the small EGR ports. Oxyclean soak, hot water rinse, repeat as needed or high pressure from a pressure/car wash nozzle as you see fit.

amos, mjoo and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Jrlh

Jrlh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank-you very much for the input....I pulled Intake & EGR tube...Both were filthy, so I'm sure that will help something....but yea, antifreeze was about 1/2 inch low. If it does it again, it will be time to either glass it, or add some blue devil while I hunt down an engine. Although in theory, a good glass job, could fix a seep that small for years.