1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Prius c with racing discs?

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by ufourya, May 17, 2012.

1. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I know back when I had a genII liftback, a few intrepid souls found ways to attach these brushed stainless steel discs to their wheels. With the steel wheels on the c, it is now a piece of cake. They weigh about a pound more than the plastic hubcap.

My plan is to run them until the oem tires give out. Then I may move to lighter aftermarket wheels.

Attached Files:

TheyCmeNow and F8L like this.
  2. whtrabbitjoe77

whtrabbitjoe77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Looks great on your Black C, I also have a set up state I need to dig out and put on my C. Could you post if you have a jump in your economy?

3. hnx676

hnx676 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice :) I was just thinking about the same idea too... But I have 15" alloy wheels... Is there a way I can mount these on my wheels? Where can I buy these stainless steel discs?

4. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I drive mostly around town and when on the highway drive slower than most. So I doubt there will be any significant economy boost. But if it happens, I'll announce it.

5. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Personally, I would keep the stock alloys. There is a stick-on (double sided tape) version of these discs available, I just can't remember where I saw them. They are for sticking on the original hubcap.

You can find a bunch of the pop on or press on discs on eBay for the standard steel wheel. They have metal tabs that hold the cap in place.

If I run across the stick-ons again, I'll let you know.

6. roostercruiser

roostercruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dude, welcome back... man it has been a while. Nice ride!

8. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    reminds me of the late 50s and early 60s. in the hot rod books we called them moons.they had smaller ones called baby moons. look at the real old salt flat racers and you will see a lot of them

9. GraeSack

GraeSack New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I tried a set from Honest Charley's. Bad fit and had to send them back. Where did you get yours?

10. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mine have a ring that is made of spring steel with 42 clips.

At first try the hubcap was much too loose and would have flown off at speed or a pothole. If you can pull the cap off with your fingers, it is too loose (obviously).

The clips can be bent to adjust the tension. There is a little hole in each clip. I inserted the nose of my needle nose pliers into the holes from the inside and adjusted each clip up and out to make the fit snug. I just used them because they were handy and would not extend all the way through the holes to damage the cap from the inside. Anything that fits into the holes and is used with care should suffice.

With the exception of the spun aluminum moon discs at mooneyes, I SUSPECT all the stainless discs are made in China at the same place. You may have just needed to adjust them.

I got the least expensive ones I could find on ebay. $69.99 shipped. I don't remember the vendor, but you should be able to find them by the price.

Hope this was helpful.

Update- the vendor is kmjperformance on eBay.

11. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

I know this thread is dead but how are the discs holding up? Can they be removed easily?
    Love the look!

12. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You said yours are stainless steel, but Mooneyes says their's are spun aluminum.
    Has anyone tried the aluminum ones?
    X

13. flotowngtm

flotowngtm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would love to see these powder coated black!!!

14. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Is there really a difference in look between the aluminum disc and stainless disc??

15. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I like the look as well. I found that they were noisy! Somehow all the spring grips managed to make the hubcaps sound as if they had little rocks inside. I didn't really notice it until I drove with the windows down and at slow speeds it annoyed .

I didn't think the steel wheels would deform enough as they turned, but apparently they do. The racing discs were my stopgap until I ran through the OEM tires. I replaced wheels and tires at around 33,000 miles. There is still some use in them, but I wanted a new look and having to remove and replace the caps every time to check and adjust tire pressure started to annoy as well.

The new look: IMG_3597 (700x412).jpg

16. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Yeah. I worried about the wheels deforming but I really wanted racing discs. btw your new rims are smokin hot!

17. Shelby profita

Shelby profita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three