1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Prius - Getting introduced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Myoolah, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Myoolah

Myoolah New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just picked up a 2007 Touring with 114K. The car is spotless and drives well. I'm just starting to get used to feeling the engine shutting off while stopped or driving and not having a panic attack. I haven't had a ton of time to go through posts yet.

First question is if there'a a way to score an update navigation disc other than the yearly dealer upgrade that runs $165? Does the disc do any upgrades to the info center in addition to the maps? My version is 6.1 and doesn't include our home address, much less much of the new construction around us in the past 10 years.

Is there a way,or a need to reset the 'consumption' section to start tracking our mpg?

Thanks !

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!
    I believe the dealer is the only legitimate option.
    Many people find the Prius navigation to be useless. I know my son tried it in his 2015 Prius v and then promptly went back to his standalone Garmin GPS with lifetime updates.

I do not think you can reset the consumption. Here is what the manual says.

upload_2018-2-13_9-35-11.png

The manuals for your car are online here.
    2007 Toyota Prius Owners Manual and Warranty - Toyota Owners

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, the in-dash unit is ancient tech so don't thrown money down that hole and instead get a modern GPS unit. I got a Garmin for about that amount of money but it also comes with a built-in dash cam with decent picture quality, hands free voice commands while driving (this is BIG) and lifetime maps and TRAFFIC updates. The later is really nice when traveling or you live in areas of dense traffic (accident and construction delays are no longer a surprise) and you can move it from car to car if needed.

Data Daedalus and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

i believe there is a reset button on the screen for mpg reset, if i'm not mistaken.

all the best!(y)

5. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I do not know. My Base pkg2 has a data reset button, and since it doesn't have the phone package, it's not gonna reset any of those things, so what does it reset??

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again we come across the problem of people who do not have a Gen 2 giving incorrect information.

The consumption data can be reset by simply pressing the reset button on the Consumption screen. What does it reset? the miles traveled and average MPG since the last reset. Also, the miles traveled will be auto reset at every tank refill as soon as you start driving, not sure what minimum fill is required (3 gals??) to get it to register fuel has been added.

Prius MFD Consumption Screen.jpg

The need to is up to you. If you never use the reset button, the average MPG becomes the lifetime average. Miles is always miles this fill.

#6 dolj, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  7. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm sure you're not referring to me, as I do have a G2. Yes, there is a reset button on the consumption screen.

IN ADDITION TO THAT under the "settings" sub-menu found in the "information" menu, there is a button to "delete personal data". I can't imagine what that does on my car, because it is not equipped with a Bluetooth radio. That's what I was wondering about.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, I was replying to the OP, but the quote was wrong, sorry about that chief. I have updated my post.

#8 dolj, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  9. Myoolah

Myoolah New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool, thanks for all the help. I know it's a common question. I finally got the time to read some posts. My wife swept the Prius up as hers right away, so I'm going to try and get her to read some of the info you all have on techniques to get the most efficiency during her drive. Thanks again!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. urkki

urkki New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Introduces from Finland!

Nice to join the club of Prius enthusiaists :)
    My history short: my parents had a good old Wartburg ( DDR/eastern Germany sportswagon sort of.. ). After that we had several Saab´s: 99´s 900´s etc. My first own vehicles were small Renault Clios ( included one wicked 1.8 16v GTI racer ). After those little hothatches I got back in good ole Saabs. 2.3l Turbo 9-5.

Spend round like 12years with that good ol´Saab. Couple a years a go I had I minor colliosion with the Saab. While repairing the damages I came in front with a one vehicle I had in my mind for years: The LandRover Defender. So I bought myself a nice 2006 Defender van.

I was really happy with the 2.5 TD5 diesel monster in everyday use. However, my fiancee needed more reliable tool.

So, last saturday we got a 2008 Prius to add our fleet. And how great those things are ! ;)

Its always nice to have contrast. And to have a Prius and Landy Defender diesel sure has the contrast. ( Eventhough both are about graffite gray and round ´06-´08.

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!
    How many kms on your "new car? We are an international crowd here.

12. urkki

urkki New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its done 155tkm/96thousand miles? Being a Toyota of course, it is nothing. My british Lucas-electronics-lottery-machine that I trust everyday has done 355tkm/225thousand miles. I just have started to dream about replacing the Land Rover with a retro Toyota BJ Cruiser, hmm.. ? However, those models were newer imported here.. And perhaps it would be a better plan to have a Defender EV ? ( the chinese are planing those ? )

13. Myoolah

Myoolah New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool collection, urkki. In college we rented a house next to a dentist office. The Dentist owned two Defender 90's - one for him and one for his teenage daughter. Totally not fair.