1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Prius...Is This A Normal Drivetrain Sound ?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TruSound, Feb 19, 2012.

1. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Recently purchased my first Prius, it's the v wagon.

When accelerating from a stopped position in eco mode there's a relitivly severe drivetrain shutter/vibration for a a short period of time until I back off the throttle, almost feels like a clutch slipping with added vibration.

It's probably a normal noise produced by this style transmission, just looking to verify if this is true so I can stop worrying about it.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Should be smooth as silk... well at least until the engine kicks in. For the first few thousand miles I couldn't even really feel that.

I would have the dealer look at it.

3. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nothing like you describe in my Prius v (wagon). I did initially notice more road vibrations coming through the gas pedal than on my trade in Lexus RX300. But raod vibration would not respond to you easing off the gas pedal. I hope we can explain this mystery, and that it does turn out to be the actual dirve train.

4. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It's definitely not road vibration Chazz, best way I can describe it would be clutch chatter, once the transition to the ICE is complete it smooths out...I'll need to drive another one to verify its normal Prius behavior, I'm sure it is...being my first hybrid these's lots of system nuances I'm not used to, it's a very different animal.

5. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Can you record the sound or do a Video to see if we can hear it? You might want to narrate also what you might be doing at the time.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not normal. Prius V has one of the smoothest takeoffs of any car. Even the transition to the gas engine is usually only heard (sometimes) but not felt.

7. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Let me be a bit more specific as to when this happens...

When taking off very slowly in EV mode...throttle position is just off idle, like when in 5mph bumper to bumper traffic on the 405, no chatter, vibration or anything else...just smooth and quiet.

What I'm experiencing happens under moderate acceleration from a stand still, I would say 1/2 throttle, the car is in eco or pwr mode and the gas engine isn't running.

Based on RJ's feedback my v has a problem, take off is definitely not quiet or smooth under load...apparently driving another is going to be necessary, some say normal, some say not.

All feedback is appreciated...

8. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How long does the vibration last?

Under the conditions you describe I would expect the one of the electric motors to spin up ICE to proper RPMs before injecting fuel. I would guess that it takes less than a second to do that. I have on occasion felt a minor shudder when the ICE comes to life. I can't tell if it's the spin up or the start of combustion, but it does not sound like what you are feeling in your Prius.

Let us know when you when you test drive other Prius v's to compare the vibrations.

Have you shown your dealer yet? If it is really obviously wrong, I'd think they would want to make it right.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are we sure the OP isn't describing ICE start? That produces a small shudder.

Tom

10. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    But he does say the following:

While I feel a vibration when my car switches to the engine, it isn't 'severe' as he says. I feel a minor vibration when it kicks in. But again, not severe. It suggests that he is noticing it a lot, where as I sometimes notice it, sometimes not.

11. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Being my first Prius I'm hypersensitive to any noise this thing makes, I guess describing it as severe might be a little over the top, I suspect it's just the transition from full electric to ICE...to be continued. Thanks guys.

12. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might try going back to your dealer and "test drive" another V, if it feels the same...

13. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That's exactly what I'm gonna do Gurple, then I can put the worry beads away and just enjoy the ride.

14. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Be sure you are using a good 87 octane gas with no more than 10% ethanol. Shell is reliable around here, others have been known to cheat on the octane.

15. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good to know RJ, my 3 faves are Shell, Union 76 and Mobil, I'll check their ethanol ratio.

Thanks

16. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think I know what TruSound is observing. I'm a new hybrid owner too and noticed something similar and it is indeed in my case for me the transition to the ICE. I'm hypersensitive as well learning a new set of normal experiences.

I remember on the test drive thinking we had a problem when the ICE shut down at a traffic light. :doh:

So far I really like the car. Getting used to the fuel gauge not moving is a little strange but welcome. Let us know TS what you learn. W

17. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm going with ICE startup, getting accustomed to it now and just enjoying the vehicle.

18. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    When I accelerate from a stop my little energy monitor doesn't stay in Eco mode. I usually get right into power mode, up to about 15 - 20 mph, then back off the gas pedal a little. That lets me keep up with traffic and doesn't tax the battery with the hardest job the car ever faces - starting from a stop. So far it hasn't hurt the mpgs I've been getting, which are equivalent to what I was getting with a 2009 Touring Prius.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't have a v, but when i accellerate from a standstill using about 1/2 throttle, the ice fires right up and is fairly noisy. but one man's drum roll is another's whisper.

20. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, also, it depends on how you drive, literally. I mean, for me, I'm playing music at Vol 20-25, for instance. I feel the subtle vibration when the engine kicks in, but I don't hear the sound of the engine. Now unless I push harder, I do hear the engine, but I am also used to the sound of the engine from the days when I drove my old car. I don't know what it was like for the rest of you, but didn't seem 'out of the ordinary' for me.