1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Prius, worth it?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Mike-ro-pannus, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Mike-ro-pannus

Mike-ro-pannus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Good Morning all,

At the end of the week I will be purchasing a 2008 Prius with a little over 200,000 miles for $600.00.

The catch is the main (and probably auxiliary) batteries are dead. At this point all you can do with the car is lock/unlock using the fob. The previous owner says it has sat for a couple months and if it does not sell by spring he will replace the battery himself and continue to drive it.

I've been doing some research here and elsewhere and by now I feel pretty comfortable with how to go about rebuilding the battery. So I guess my questions are:

Does the jump method shown work enough to shift out of park? If not I can get a dolly no problem.

Secondly, what else should I be looking for? What else could I possibly be getting myself into?

Your input is sincerely appreciated, happy holidays!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jump method will most likely allow you to get it to shift into neutral... The sooner you can get the error codes read by Dr. Prius App via OBD2 reader: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus or Toyota techstream: 16pin Mini VCI Toyota Lexus TechStream OBD2 Diagnostic Interface Scanner v14 | eBay the sooner we can help...

If I were in your situation it'd be my lucky day if it only cost $600 because I have spare loaner battery packs and there's a chance of could put in a new 12v and a Hybrid pack and drive it home. As in once you've rebuilt enough packs, there's so many easy repairs mixed in among the hardest repairs so once you know enough it always seem like a winning bet, which is quite different than people seeing the red triangle for the first time and going to a stealership and asking them to fix it aka: rob them....

Mike-ro-pannus likes this.
  3. Mike-ro-pannus

Mike-ro-pannus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well today I picked it up and was very surprised to find out that the hybrid battery is fine, the 12v had died and the original owner didn't know the difference. Me and my brother drove it home today. On Monday I will be installing a new 12v, registration/insurance, and gets to boogieing. Thank you for the help!

mikey_t, SFO and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, congrats on a great steal!(y)

Mike-ro-pannus likes this.
  5. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well, I guess ignorance isn't always bliss, nice gamble, enjoy the car.