1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Regenerative Braking?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Dom1992, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Dom1992

Dom1992 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    V

When did the Prius first get regenerative braking?

It is absolutely impossible to get a simple answer on Google, Wikipedia doesn't even say.
    Back in 2005 regenerative braking was the biggest news ever, but now all I get is links to car reviews and blogs about the 2016 Prius.

2. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As far as I know the Prius has had regenerative braking since the first cars were on sale in Japan in 1997.

Other cars like he EV1 also had it.

It is not something you usually have to add to get - about the only way you can avoid it is to use a series-wound DC traction motor. Now making it work well in conjunction with the brakes is not easy. I don't know if cars earlier than the Prius had blended braking.

The Tesla Model S and X do not have blended braking.

kevin

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 1997 Prius (NHW10) had regenerative braking Look at the Description tab here.

75 Years of TOYOTA | TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION GLOBAL WEBSITE | Vehicle Lineage | In-depth Vehicle Information, Specification

The Prius significantly reduced the energy loss through a mechanism to stop the engine when in idle, and the regenerative braking system for converting the kinetic energy into electricity when decelerating.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Dom1992

Dom1992 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    V
    Thanks a tonne!
    I was ripping out my hair just trying to a get a straight answer for a research assignment.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.