1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Road Trip Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by kevin54, Jan 14, 2017.

1. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hello,
    Got my Premium Prime 12/19 and took it to North Carolina (from Pennsylvania) today for about a 550 mile trip. Couldn't be happier! Filled up and charged before I left and traveled about 550 miles at about 60.8 MPG! This was with only an initial charge that lasted about 24 miles. I'm sure I could have gotten better millage but the temps were in the low-mid 30s while traveling, and it rained hard for about 200+ miles (which has always reduced milage for me). This was also mostly highway driving (route 95) at about 65-70 MPH. A few things noticed: I've owned or driven 4 previous Prius' before - 2 Gen 2 and 2 Gen 3. The ride was much improved, especially in the back seat - we traveled with two small dogs and rode in the back seat with them. Much quieter too. One surprise for me was that after I drove for 2 hours and 20 minutes, a message popped up on the screen asking me if I need to take a break! (We switched driving every 2 hours or so, but I drove a little longer). I'm here for 2 months and I don't anticipate filling up at all since I'll be charging in my garage and won't travel much more than 30 miles per day! Love it!
    Kevin
    IMG_0613.JPG IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0613.JPG IMG_0612.JPG

2. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    impressive stuff! thanks for sharing

kevin54 likes this.
  3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Great post. Felt like I was on the trip with you. Only problem I see is when my car starts saying, "You need to stop again?"

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  4. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ha ha. Yeah I was surprised when my car beeped and that msg showed up on the display. But the car did ride (to me) like a bigger car that was much quieter. The back seats were much more comfortable - I'm not really interested in the third back seat though (and neither are my 7 pound chihuahua or min pin). BTW, it's been cold in the North east the last week and I was only getting about 22 or 23 miles per charge in EV, but the last 2 days it had been in the 40s and 50s and I got 27.5 and 26.7 miles in EV. This morning when it was 30 degrees when we left, I got 15.5 miles in EV with 11 still showing when I got on the highway. I only ended up with about 24 though. I know I could have gotten at least 26 miles if I hadn't gotten on the highway at higher speeds. I am expecting almost 30 here in Wilmington NC at lower speeds and moderate temps. I'll report back later this week. BTW, I'm not one to switch in and out of EV mode or Charge mode or whatever in order to maximize MPG. I just drive and see what I get without going crazy and let the car determine the best mode.

5. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Kevin 54 did you have climate on? That's probably why you were only getting 22 miles EV. With climate off your EV should jump to about 26-27 miles EV even in 20 f weather

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Jayne K likes this.
  6. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting 33% EV Drive Ratio. You use HV or EV Auto mode on I-95?

7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That might have been the vehicle sway warning.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  8. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I did not have climate on. During this time, the temps were around 8-10 degrees.

James - I did not switch to either mode. I started out in EV mode and it switched over to HV mode. The vehicle chose.

Not sure what you mean. I haven't my manual but I didn't read it that closely.

9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If the vehicle detects you moving in and out of your lane repeatedly, it will give you a warning to pull over and take a break. It's called "Vehicle Sway Warning" as in swaying back and forth in your lane. It's part of Lane Departure Alert.

10. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  11. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    No, we did not have this on. It had nothing to do with Vehicle Lane Departure. It apparently had something to do with time driving.

I'm not sure what you mean. We DID have the heat on - 68 degrees.

12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did you turn it off? It comes turned on, and it's got a separate setting.

upload_2017-1-14_19-1-3.png

kevin54 likes this.
  13. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

JacksonMs and Kramah313 like this.
  14. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TY, Nice post

15. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks! I was under the impression that I had to have on Lane Departure (on the steering wheel) to get any beeps or messages. Apparently not? So to update, the car DID NOT warn me for possibly driving too long! Interesting!

I guess I may be a little confused when you say "climate on". I thought I had the Climate system turned off, but I had the heat ON. See my screen below. The Climate is off yet the fan is set as is the temp. I always thought the Climate systems maintained a temp by either using A/C or heat. Is that right? And can't you elect to only use heat or am I behind the times?
    IMG_0617.JPG

16. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If the fan is running (as indicated by the two bars next to the fan icon) then I would assume that climate is on. Outside temperature dictates if air conditioning or heat is selected.

17. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe if you are indicating as you cross the lanes, this feature is suppressed.

18. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    To verify if climate is running, display the energy function, there you will see if climate is on because you will see pulses going over to the little fan icon from the battery icon, if you do see pulses then your EV range will drop by a couple of miles, tuning climate off the pulses disappear and your EV range will jump up a couple of miles.

#18 priuscatprimeguy, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  19. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good mileage on your new Prime. I can attest to a previous post regarding rest time requests by the Prius. That is part of the lane departure warning system. I was testing the lane departure warning system on the freeway and my Prius asked me if I needed rest and later suggested I needed sleep.

kevin54 likes this.
  20. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thank you. Yes, within the Energy view I do see pulses going from the battery to the fan icon. As per my photo above, I thought that since the Auto Climate and A/C icons were OFF, that the fan alone didn't constitute that much juice like A/C would. Again, the A/C could never come on regardless of outside temp (I think) because I don't have Auto Climate set to On. Is that correct?