1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First road trip!

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by jhinsc, Jul 5, 2013.

1. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did a trip to Asheville, NC for a couple days to see our friends new home. Rained all the time but had a lot of fun. Lots of hills and elevation climb, especially as we neared Asheville took it's toll on mpg. Didn't fill up until on the way back since gas is cheaper in SC. First tank went 409 miles on 10.691 gallons = 38.3 mpg. Considering that I use CC a lot and kept speeds at no more the +5mph over speed limit (65-75mph) I was impressed. Even more impressive was keeping up with traffic going up some steep hills. Still on the second tank and will fill up in the next few days to see how mpg's were coming home. While we generally were going downhill after getting through the hills north of Columbia, we were up against headwinds most of the way.

Compared to my previous '10 Prius IV, the v is much nicer to travel long distance. The ride was smoother and quieter, and crosswinds didn't push us around nearly as much. It also tracked much better, but wonder if the fatter 17" tires of the v5 didn't have something to do with it over the IV's 15" skinny tires.

2. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We have 21K plus miles on our "v" and include trips to Austin, Tx and two trips from Cincinnati thru Ashville via R-40/26 to Jacksonville...Your mileage reflects about what we get thru the mountains....BTW we changed our OE 17" wheels for "v" 3 OE wheels and can't really say there is a big mileage gain with the 16" tires...They do offer a somewhat softer ride but not much else; wheels certainly are not as attractive as the 5 series 17" wheels/Toyo tires.

3. Jack Cannon

Jack Cannon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Clubguy:

When you say that the "v" 3 OE wheels offered a somewhat softer ride, how much softer is that? I have the OE 17" with the 2012 V and my ride is quite "stiff" or should I say "rough?"

Jack

4. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    First off I was a little afraid of the 17" low profile tires and I elevated the tire pressures a few pounds over the mfg. suggested pressures.. The ride was certainly in my opinion, firm.... I felt the 16" combination would possibly offer a softer ride even with elevated pressures; this proved to be true and is noticeably softer and more comfortable at the expense of better handling that the 17" combination

5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Coming from the Liftback w/15" wheels to the v with 17" wheel, the v still has a plusher ride quality than the Liftback. Spec's call for 33/32 psi front and back but I pump them up to 39/37 and they seem fine to me. Can't tell if it helps mpg's but main reason is I want the tires to wear more evenly. I tried higher but then the ride quality starts suffering. Mpg's are back up since I'm driving my normal routes around town. I'm trying to break my high of 47.3 this tank. Also getting close to 5,000 miles so I have first service appointment set for next week.