1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First service experience...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TidelandTravis, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Jeff Beaver

Jeff Beaver Junior Member

I've given up on the local Lexus dealer. The driver's side seat belt wasn't retracting, so I made an appointment to have the oil changed and the seat belt repaired or replaced. After sitting around for nearly two hours they tell me they don't have a seat belt and ask that I make another appointment. Next time I wait 45 minures and they tell me they have the seat belt, but it's the wrong one. The third time is the charm. They fix it. I get a mile from home and notice the fasten seat belt light is on, but the thing is fastened! Four tries to fix a seat belt! Next time I was out there for one of their $80 oil changes, I picked up my dent-free car and there is a dent on the top of the left front fender where someone had obviously dropped a tool! They promise to fix it. Four days later, it's ready. I go in and, yee Gods, they've re-painted both front fenders and the hood! To make matters worse, the paint job is covered with swirls!! They tell me they can buff out the swirls. I should just make an appointment and bring it in sometime! Aaargh! Then there were the wiper blades they charged $45 to replace and the turn signal bulb that cost me $58, and ......

Now I take it to a local garage run by a great Japanese guy who replaces bulbs for $5, and pretty much charges half of what Lexus wants.

I do like that Lexus, though. Great car. Time will tell for the Prius. I have great hopes. It reputedly hit the dock yesterday and I should have my Barcelona Red Pkg 6 in a couple of days. (-8

2. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, we are definitely a Prius town interestingly enough. Probably because of all us enviros out here.

Sorry that you live all the way in Alamogordo...I hope someone has some feedback on dealers close by (perhaps Las Cruces Toyota? I don't know their service reputation though).

I won't take the Prius out on Gila dirt roads either ( I think I will be doing lots of walking). When I go out to do archaeological research I won't be using my Prius, instead I'll rent or use the fleet 4X4.

Good luck in finding a dealer nearby that has certified mechanics.

Gilahiker

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hmm, then what's my Prius tech certified as? He didn't even know about the manual release for the rear hatch when the battery dies!

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    -i'll see what i can see about taking your Prius to a lexus dealer. personally i doubt they'd take it.

-your guy either had no experience with that procedure, was juggling too many jobs that day, doesn't care, is lazy, or wasn't paying attention at school. lots of possibilities there. :lol:

5. cgraham

cgraham Member

Thanks, that's a good start, galaxee - if I can get honest answers.
    Do you think the Prius certified tech is going to do the 5000 mi maintenances, or is he reserved for FIXING things?

I did briefly talk to one of the service managers - $85 for a 5K checkup (mostly inspection), a BIG number for the 15K (can't remember - still suffering from shock). Given a 5K service looks like a 15 min job if you have a pit and are familiar with the car, I don't find it confidence-inspiring. And there is no guarantee they do what they check off.

Are there different levels of Prius tech certification, Galaxee? If so, who does what?

Thanks, C

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I do my own oil changes and tire rotations. To get the authentic feel, I verbally abuse myself and listen to rap music, forget to tighten the filter and/or plug and then overfil the oil by about a quart.

I try to leave a couple lug nuts off just to seal the deal.

:lol:

I would expect St. Charles Toyota in Illinois would treat you as you are explaining your lexus dealer does based on what they said and how they handled the sale. I just don't think I'll drive 45 minutes each way, spend a couple hours monkeying around while they change my oil. I just do them myself, it's quick and I blissfully ignore all the warnings they will say the computer is telling me I need to have fixed at hundreds of dollars and another scheduled visit.

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if you go to a dealer with an "express lube" you're going to get any random guy with probably no certifications. i stongly recommend AGAINST going to places like this because i've seen the sheer number of FUBARs that come out of time having more value than quality. (let's say DH has seen near 100% turnover in the express lube since he worked his way up)

if there is no express lube, the techs change the oil. you'll probably get a prius tech for this because the other techs don't want to mess with 'em. even though the prius tech is really around for HV stuff- any good di-ag guy can fix a prius wiring issue or stereo or whatever.

$85? bah. all you need is an oil change and tire rotation. that's way too high. get a list of what they're inspecting, changes are 80% of it is unnecessary. dealers come up with their own "5k service packages" to make a couple bucks from unsuspecting patrons. go in, show them the maintenance manual, and tell them you don't want anything more than the book specifies.

there's only one level of prius tech certification. but to get it, you have to be an ASE master, and a Toyota master (or MDT- the highest level of certification), which requires 2 years of service and a lot of extra training.

prius tech training involves a complete teardown and rebuild of most of the major components of the hybrid drivetrain, from what DH has seen. there's a prius tech class down the hall from where he's finishing up one of his cert's, he sat in back to see what it was about one day since he'll be there in hopefully a few months.

as far as guarantees... well anyone in any job can slack off. but really, once the car is in the air it's to the tech's advantage to check things out. this way they can discover things that might need work. at 5k this is probably a non-issue, but DH always does the extra checks for the customer and for his own peace of mind. it's good for the customer because they're aware of upcoming things to have fixed, and it's good for the tech because it's more trust from the customer and probably more business in the future. if he cares about that sort of thing. some don't...

inspections you shouldn't worry about. it's when you have a major part replaced that you want to ensure you have someone who knows his stuff. which is why i encourage you to find a tech who's good and stick with him. this way you know.

:)

8. cgraham

cgraham Member

Galaxee -I don't know what we would do without your insights & patient answers.

I agree: at 5K "$85? - bah!" I have the service list & 19 point 5 minute inspection details, plus the desert conditions extras (the latter NOT covered by the maintenance contract), and I plan to go back to discuss it, & talk to the tech. However there is only one dealership (& probably 1 tech) within a 200 mi round trip (I have heard some of the other dealerships don't have a certfied tech). So it's not so easy to take my business elsewhere.

I'll probably wind up doing the prepaid maintenance and no more, or less likely, build a ramp and DIM. I'm not sure how I convincingly document adequate inspections by an untrained owner (keep receipts, of course). I wonder if there is a minor maintenance guide on line somewhere - I'll have to search.

Thanks again :) C

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    going waaay back here-

lexus probably doesn't have the right size oil filters. but you can probably pick up your toyota oil filter at the toyota dealer and bring it over to the lexus dealership and have them change your oil. of course it's up to the dealership whether or not they'll take it.

as far as service beyond the regular maintenance... as long as it's not related to the hybrid system you're fine. however, he's not sure whether lexus hybrid techs go through the same training as the toyota hybrid techs. the toyota training is clearly marked as "toyota" but there is no mention of "lexus"

so, check with the dealer, and if they're cool with it, go with the dealer you prefer.