1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First tank fuel consumption report

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by STxPrius, Oct 25, 2006.

1. STxPrius

STxPrius New Member

Well,

I guess I did a little better than I thought that I would overall on the MPG with the first tank. I achieved 38.6 mpg with the first tank. I'm in about 120 miles on the second tank and am around 40.8 mpg. I am getting the hang of the pulse and glide technique, but I still have to get used to the accelerator. Maybe by the time that I get five tanks into this car I will be up there with the big boys in the 50mpg range.

Thanks for all of the tips and support everyone.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yupyup. In Texas, you should be aiming for 60 haha. Well, at least that seems to be the case. Our 60mpg folks are mostly in FL or TX.

3. bryanmsi

bryanmsi New Member

I am partway through my first tank and have managed to pull a current average (at 200 miles) of 46.3 MPG. The first 75 miles or so were a waste but then I read about pulse-n-glide and I practiced yesterday for about half an hour. In real traffic, though, so I didn't get to do it as much as I would have liked. There was a 5 minute stretch where I was able to pull it off pretty consistently, and you can see my average mileage was around 77 for that stretch!

Only once did I get less than 50mpg during this 30 minute period.

I am also finding liberal use of the B "gear" really helps.

[​IMG]

4. STxPrius

STxPrius New Member

What's the "B gear"?

5. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I use cruise control most of the time unless the traffic is stop and go. I averaged 52 over the life of my '04 and now am equaling that on my '06. This is in mixed suburban and highway driving. In city situations I usually get around the 56 range and on the highway over 70mph I get in the 48 range. Tires are the Integritys with 38-35 pressure. Sometimes on a stretch of 45mph speed limit I will do the P&P and average around 58. Mostly though I just do the cruise control and smile at the pleasure I get from driving this Prius marvel.

6. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You guys are all doing very well. Just keep driving and don't forget to just ENJOY from time to time!!! :D

Your mileage will improve with time, as the car breaks in, and as you get used to driving it. :lol:

7. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 25 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]338296[/snapback]</div>
    Some of us happen to drive on highways, so we only get ~50mpg due to the traffic.

8. bryanmsi

bryanmsi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(STexasPrius @ Oct 25 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]338329[/snapback]</div>
    Its the setting which uses aggressive regenerative braking to charge the battery pack as you slow the car or maintain speeds down long hills. If you can make use of this braking setting rather than using the brake pedal, you'll recapture the maximum amount of the car's kinetic energy and put it back into the battery pack.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Oct 25 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]338381[/snapback]</div>

I'm having an blast playing my new favorite video game - "MAXIMIZE MILEAGE" which is playing on my Prius screen!

:D

9. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bryanmsi @ Oct 26 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]338724[/snapback]</div>
    This is a myth confirmed by the CanView folks. You get maximum regeneration using light application of the brakes. The B-mode regenerates up to a certain point, and then the rest is lost as pumping.

10. bryanmsi

bryanmsi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Oct 26 2006, 12:26 PM) [snapback]338790[/snapback]</div>
    Really? That's cool if true, since you obviously wouldn't have to do anything special, like shift into and out of "b". So, if I understand this right, you're saying just a light application of the brakes will result in maximizing the regenerative braking system with no need to put the car in b...and putting in B doesn't really help?

Awesome tip!

So that mode must be mostly for long descents (like coming down a mountain grade) that you don't want to "
    ride" the brakes.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bryanmsi @ Oct 26 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]339046[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you have to find that braking threshold. Press too lightly and you're not maximising regen, brake too hard and you're using the friction brakes.

What he's saying is that assuming that you know the threshold at which to hold your brake pedal, you can get max regen at any speed.

With "B", you can only get max regen under 20mph. If you're above 20mph and you shift into B, it'll spin the engine and engine brake instead and won't regenerate.

12. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< There are MANY threads in PriusChat regarding the "B" gear. My 2004 Owner's Manual (pp 136-137) clarify its intent and use. It is "engine braking" and part of the text reads: "Do not continue normal driving with the transaxle in 'B' for a long time. This may cause decreased fuel economy. to prevent this, use 'D' for normal driving."

Strange how so many incorrect opinions and myths get propogated. Wonder where that new Prius owner got such incorrect information. Hopefully, he will get better fuel economy using "D".

13. bryanmsi

bryanmsi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 27 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]339671[/snapback]</div>
    If that new Prius driver you were referring to is me, I got it from the Dealer, who told me the best way to regenerate power on long descents was to use the B mode. But, thanks to tips here, I know better now.