1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Tank Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Highly ImPriused, Apr 6, 2007.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The eighth bar dropped at 452 miles, leaving me with two bars. Average MPG for this tank is currently at 54.6.

2. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Interesting. So far on my second tank, the bars have dropped at about 70, 120, and 150. Now at about 170 with 7 bars still showing. Avg MPG for this tank is currently 46.2. I'll try to update as well. (Incidently, it looks like the dealer didn't really short me after all :) )

3. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 11 2007, 04:50 PM) [snapback]421626[/snapback]</div>
    This is an interesting post. On my second tank I am seeing milage closer to this now (170 with one bar gone), but with the dealer fill up I was at 366 with one bar left. Then when I went to fill it, it only took 8 gallons. I knew better then to squeeze any more in, but one wonders just how much of the tank the gauge measures. :huh:

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Final report for this tank.

The ninth bar dropped at the 512 mile mark. The low fuel warning sounded and the final bar started blinking at 556. I filled it up at 562. It took 10.5 gallons (I patiently and gently topped it off, the pump stopped at 9.8 gallons). The MFD display showed 54.9 MPG. My manual calculation was 53.5.

The car has about 31,000 miles on the odometer. I still have the original tires with the air pressure set at 40/38. Daytime temperatures have been mostly in the 60s and 70s (low 50s when I leave for work in the morning) since the previous fill up.

5. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all the great info on fuel economy, etc. I'm still trying to empty the first tank of gas, but I think I know what to do now. To get the most fuel wait until it is at least 90 degrees or fill up in Death Valley.

Update 4/18/07: Guess Gage went to one "pip" (didn't blink), Filled tank with 9.9 gal @ 45 deg F, took some time to top off, but not bad. Can do some serious tracking now.

6. BVISAILMAN

BVISAILMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MPG needs to be checked over a long period of time to get an accurate reading. I live near Boston and my wife commutes over 30 miles each way every day. I changed oil and have run Synthetic since 1,000 miles, tire pressure 42 front and 40 rear. We now have over 19,000 miles and have had the 2006 Prius almost a year and our long term average MPG is 51. With a high tank of 61. We also added the BT plate after the first week. Major improvement in handling.

7. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just bumping this thread of mine because I didn't want to start a new one or clutter up somebody's else's to crow about my minor achievement. It finally happened this morning on my commute into work. I hit 50 MPG on the MFD with about 180 miles on my 5th tank of gas (1600 miles total on odometer). I know its a minor accomplishment compared to many here and it could be off by a few MPG when I actually fill up in a couple hundred more miles, but I'm still psyched. Especially considering that I only got 39 MPG on my first tank. I think the 800+ mile road trip that we took in the interim really helped. I "only" got about 44 MPG round trip, but was generally traveling at speeds of 70-80 MPH with the wife, 2 kids, and full cargo area so my expectations weren't too high and I was actually quite pleased with that. Now on my first tank back to my regular (hilly) commute, I've finally hit 50 mpg. Onward and upward from here. I'm sure the first 60 MPG tank can't be too far away. Woo hoo!

8. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 11 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]421626[/snapback]</div>
    I have just complete my first tank and have got 120 miles on the first bar, can I confirm that the UK version does not have the gas bladder. Also if there are any UK owners out there do you have a problem filling, I have filled twice and both times I struggled to get the petrol in, the pump kept clicking off and I ended up brimming it. Is that a problem with a UK version?

Thanks.