1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Tank

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by yayprius, Jul 17, 2018.

1. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don't think it should take more than one search to find a thread about MPG per tank.

This is my first tank from the dealer. Trip said I had about 18 miles left. But it also said I had 498 miles left when I first got in the car soooo thats that. 20180717_091513.jpg

kens97uber171, DLC82SV and krmcg like this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you fill the tank yourself? The dealers can fill it till it looks full - at least on the gauge, giving a false reading. I've never had a new car give a reliable reading with the first tank, I always fill up as soon as I can. Remember TOYOTA recommends filling only to the first click.

yayprius and RCO like this.
  3. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I hope you have a gas can in your trunk. :D

yayprius likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, no kidding: what is wrong with this picture:

upload_2018-7-17_9-2-13.png

As Spock would say, it is "illogical", conflating good fuel economy with how many miles per tank.

yayprius and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. GadgetVirtuoso

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just had my first full week with the new car, Prius Two. I drive about 70 miles a day during the week and I still only used just over half a tank (5.768 of 11.3). I had a T-Mobile Tuesday discount code that expired on Friday so I filled up on the way home and saw 64.8MPG. Even if I average 60MPG, that's a significant improvement over the 50MPG I saw with my 2012 Prius C. For me possibly being able to fill up close to once every 2 weeks would be pretty sweet.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, well done!(y)

7. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Eventually you will get to know how many actual miles you can go on a full tank before you go empty.

yayprius likes this.
  8. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On my Gen 2 Prius, when the reserve light starts blinking you have 3 gallons left in the tank 40 miles per gallon gives you plenty of time to get to a gas station. Yes I only averaged about 40 to 45 because of where I live. Lots of high-speed Highway.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

yayprius likes this.
  9. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have driven 75 miles beyond "0" DTE. YMMV!

yayprius likes this.
  10. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Right it started saying one thing and it continued to be wrong. I'm wondering what it uses to guesstimate the miles left.

11. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I would do this but running out of gas with the Prius gen 2 was a huge pain in the A. I had a 1 gallon can that I made three trips with to get enough file. The first gallon I put In did nothing and I got VeRrY worried. Maybe I'll get the five gallon can and try it. I've done it with all my cars but I worry still about possible damage

krmcg and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I gather, it assumes that you've filled the tank at some stage - I assume from the fuel gauge. With my previous 2 cars with computer logging, it doesn't seem to differentiate between whether you've stopped at the first click, or brimmed it - or if the pump has clicked off only 3/4 full (or you just put $20 in). At some stage it seems to assume it's full.

There must be sensors for fuel use - whether it's fuel flow, or based on load, or by some other means, I'm not sure. No matter which car, it seems to be 5-10% optimistic, but that's pretty close for what it is doing. I mean it can't be certain whether you've filled it completely - but does fairly well regardless. Being a hybrid will have added another level of complexity - my previous 2 Diesels were always using the ICE, but the hybrid is using a combination of ICE, EV & hybrid drive.

Go with the flow - the vast majority of my fills, the dashboard reading has been near enough - the one or 2 which were wildly out, I think I could guess why (improper fill).

yayprius likes this.
  13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some people have managed to run out with no damage.

Newer cars are likely to be more sympathetic, though that's not a given. But their fuel tanks should be relatively clean.

But I can vividly recall when my daughter ran out in an older car, co$t me a fuel pump, fuel line flu$h, 2 fuel filter$ (or wa$ it 3?) and a tow!! And a taxi to collect the car. Oh, and loan her my car for the week to go to University.

Some early injected cars had to have injector system bled when they ran out of fuel. I won't risk it.

Mendel Leisk and yayprius like this.