1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TucsonDave, Aug 4, 2004.

1. TucsonDave

TucsonDave New Member

Tank miles: 548
    Overall Miles: 548
    Avg Tank Mileage: 54.8
    Avg Overall Mileage: 54.8
    Avg Temperature: 95
    Price per Tank: 18.70
    Avg Price per Gallon: 18.70

This is my first tank!! I keep watching the fuel gauge and the miles. Drove 19 miles on the last bar and got gas. Exxon, $1.87, $18.70, 10 gals., 548 miles. The tank was filled by the dealer so I don't know what kind of gas. Also the computer was reset at 14 miles by the dealer. He said they have to "break them in" by racing the engine 10 times to burn off the coating. The computer was 535miles 52.6 mpg.
    I drive 60 miles a day so I am very happy. COOL 8)

2. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's one great first tank!

I'm a little skeptical about this breaking in thing...anyone else heard of such a thing?

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

This is the first time I've read about this break-in procedure.

Trust your display's mpgs over your manual calculation; it's much more precise, and if your're lucky to have a car that will calculate mpgs for you, why calculate it the old-fasioned way?

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They were probably just trying to burn off whatever it is in the catalytic converter that causes the warning light. I bet they got tired of getting calls from freaked out new owners :)

Of course, that kind of messes up the break-in, but I don't think the Prius really needs the traditional engine break-in as much as regular cars, because of the CVT. As long as they didn't do any panic stops it's probably ok.

5. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You're also thoroughly heating up the painted engine components for first time when new which can create a burning smell.

6. TucsonDave

TucsonDave New Member

That is exactly what they said. They were tired of the engine light calls. He said "Toyota" told them to do it this way.

7. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Only over the short term. Long term total miles/total gallons will be more accurate.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wish I had a "first" tank to report. (Heavy Sigh) Soon now soon, must relax, must be patient. Delayed gratification is good. Yes my precious good! My Precious you will be mine. MY PRECIOUS.