1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Time at the Car Wash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by newprius2004, Jan 6, 2004.

1. newprius2004

newprius2004 New Member

Well. today was my first time at the car wash. Presenting the valet card was not helpful because the attendants did not read or speak English. I ended up guiding my car on to the "conveyor belt" and at the end of the car wash, I drove it out to the "drying bay".

Mark
    Bethesda MD
    2004 White AM

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mark - I tried to translate and tag photoshopped to make a rough draft Spanish valet card that you can view over in the File Library or under the General Forum.

Might print one out and take it with you next time :)

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My first car wash was the spray-only kind. The KOA campground my Mom's 5th-wheeler is parked at has some sort of clumpy white powder forming the driving surface of their road. It was clinging to the car after the rain that came through on Saturday wet both the car and the 'dirt' road. A good soaping and rinsing took care of it, though. Maybe the ToyoGard provides easier removal?

One thing I noticed was that the sprayer has enough force to lock the doors. I saw the lights blink several times while washing, but didn't know what was going on until I was done and the car was locked. No problem, just another 'huh' on the list of Things That I Noticed That My Car Does.

Anyone have the car lock during some 'touchless' wash?...

4. Who said never a dumb question?

:roll: Just got my Prius. I've yet to go through the car wash. (NO valet) Will I just set it to Neutral like most drive through car washes? Any special concern I should have with the Prius while going through the car wash?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Who said never a dumb question?

No special concerns, they recommend unscrewing the antenna... I usually do that now, but it's pretty small and flexible and I've left it on a time or two without incident or damage.
    --evan

6. thinkgreat04

thinkgreat04 New Member

I have only run my 04 Prius (3500 miles) through the car wash only once and got tire damage (passenger front on the outer wall).

The tire had to be replaced, apparently, in spite of my heads-up to the car wash employees. The small clearance of the vehicle makes it difficult to gauge where the tires are and this tire apparently hit the metal tire guides just the wrong way; damaging the tire.

I talked to the car wash owners who mentioned that they read about special hybrid problems with some car washes in a pro car wash magazine.

I've been afraid to try it again. (This type of wash guides the vehicle through the wash process with the vehicle unattended via a guide that pushes the vehicle through.) This is in Southern California and the car is washed by hand through this process and dried by end in the parking lot.

Nobody else has this problem? If so, it must have beena one time deal and maybe I should try it again.

7. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Arrrgh!!!

I can't believe youse guys run your babies through a car wash!

My long term experience with most car washes is that, unless it's the family van or full-size pickup and you don't care too much about scratches, crazing of the wheel covers or chemical fading (on my black '91 Mercedes last year - broke my own rule), wash your Prius with your own loving hands.

Only way to get a good job done right with no problems.

Also, when you do it yourself you become familiar with every square inch of the sheet metal, door sills, wheel wells, etc. You are the first to know if anything is out of kilter.

Also, the touchless systems uses extremely high pressure; I noticed the finish on my factory stock Mercedes alloy wheels was slightly crazed on all four wheels after this experience. The pressure created thousand of tiny cracks in the outer clear coat on the center disc and the three pointed start logo.

On an '04 Prius, this could be important over time; the hood and rear hatch; they are fabricated from sheet aluminum - much softer than steel. I have aready spotted a tinypaint ding on the hood; there's also a small dimple under it from the hit. Aluminum don't rust, but it is solfter.

For the record, I like the use of aluminum - don't get me wrong here.

I understand that sometimes you just gotta run it through because of time or weather. Just consider doing it your self when ever you can. Your baby gonna luv ya for it!

Bob

8. cybele

cybele New Member

As someone in SoCal, I will continue to use a car wash. A well-run car wash will use just 25% of the water that I would at home and the waste water from the car wash is partly recycled (grey water reclamation) and then goes through the city's sewer treatment system.

If I were to wash my car at home, I'd use more water and the suds would either go down the storm drain (which then goes straight to the ocean here) or into my yard.

I used pretty much the same car wash for 9 years on my old Subaru and the finish when I sold it was pretty much pristine, no oxidation and no crazing. They wash the car with big mitts by hand and then it goes through the conveyer for a rinse and wax application. Then it's driven out to the drying area where a fellow gives it a wipe down.

I haven't taken Dyna in for her first wash yet. I'll tell you if anything of note occurs.

9. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hand-wash mine as well. Takes me about an 60-90 min to do a decent job of it including hand drying.

Of course, Vancouver being what it is, there's no shortage of water to wash cars with :)

My typical routine is this:

- Rinse off car with a spray nozzle to remove surface dirt
    - Using a wash-mit with soap, wash roof, then hood, top of door panels, and back.
    - dump out water and rinse bucket&mit, refill with cool soapy water.
    - wash windows with mit - do door to mid-level with mit. Wash mit and leave to dry.
    - Using cotton towel with very light pressure, wash lower door panels and lower front/back of car.
    - Rinse with spray nozzle
    - Spray on wheel protectant
    - Take nozzle off hoze to get a good stream of water and allow to flow over car surface to help in the drying process (causes water to sheet-off instead of bead).
    - Use drying shammy to remove residual water.

Looks great, and doesn't take that long. I agree with the other poster about car washes damaging surfaces. I took an older car through a rotating brush wash some years ago, and later noticed that it basically sanded the clear coat. Extemely nasty.

Even touchless washes put enough pressure behind the nozzles that I don't feel comfortable going through them in a new car.

That said, sounds like the Cali wash that you mentioned is a low-power wash that just uses the automated system for rinse/wax instead of the full wash cycle (which is the damaging part) - that should be OK.

Dave