1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First time buyer questions - Price/mile and scheduled maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Aegisth, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Aegisth

Aegisth New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking to buy a Gen 3 - '10, '11, or '12. My budget is $8,000 and from what I can tell that puts me in between 130,000 and 160,000 miles. I'm not sure if that's what others here would expect, so thought I'd ask.

Additionally, I plan on asking any potential seller if I can bring it for inspection to a Toyota dealer so they can tell me what it looks like. For a Gen 3 '10, '11, and '12, what are the normal problems I should ask about? Additionally, does anyone have a link for the scheduled maintenance needed at 50k, 100k, etc. miles?

Finally, if anyone has bought a Gen 3 with about that many miles for that year, what did you wish you took a look at beforehand?

2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hello & welcome to PriusChat.

If you've only got a budget of 8k, chances are you may not have the funds available for any upcoming High Voltage battery replacement. A Prius is best purchased young - then put the miles on it. There a multiple (really - lots of them) threads here at PriusChat discussing this very thing. But just so you know, it's not uncommon for a dealership to get Prius in on trade because the owner didn't want to put the money into it for a new battery. What do we do with those cars? Clear the codes and send it to auction. If you buy a used Prius, keep this in mind. (Just remember, private sellers do this too) If I had to have a Prius and it had to be a used vehicle. I'd only buy it from Toyota dealer and it'd have to be a "Toyota certified used" vehicle at that.

You'll find a couple of different opinions should you decide to have a look around. Those who say they are a great car to purchase used, and then those like me, who wouldn't recommend them to anyone unless it was 5 years old or younger.

FingerLakePrius likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome.

I'd stay away from the '10 since it's nearing the end of the typical traction battery lifespan and also since we see lots of reports here of that model year having oil burning issues. If you go for a 2012, you'll get the changes that came with the mid-cycle update.

At any rate, with that age and those miles, you'll be shopping for a battery sooner rather than later. Thankfully, the price has dropped a lot on new batteries.

Another potential issue with the 3rd generation is clogged up EGR systems. If not cleaned out, they have been known to blow head gaskets with the resulting loss of coolant and warped head. If you're a DIYer, it's a straightforward process with lots of videos to help you. Dealers will charge quite a bit for that, though, because it's time consuming. Some people buy a used EGR system and then just swap it out and clean the old one at their leisure.

You can download owner's manuals and such stuff from Toyota. Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • Why a Prius and not something like a corolla or Camry?
    • Is $8k your hard limit, or does this include a separate repair fund?
    • Are you the DIY type?
    • Know a good independent mechanic or would you use the dealer for all your servicing?
    • How many miles do you put on a car in a years time?
    • How long do you want to keep the car once it is yours?
    There are some maintenance items that don’t appear on the repair schedule worth doing on a Gen3 Prius, which runs from model years 2010 through 2015;).

Then go in the Gen3 maintenance section of the forum. I’d say root around there a bit to see what others have run across so you are familiar with those experiences before committing.

Keep in mind as any car ages through both miles and years, repairs are inevitable, so setting aside funds in advance can help avoid any future regret.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my daughters '08 with 130k is up for sale for $5,500. in great condition if you want to come east

6. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Pics:whistle:?

m.wynn and bisco like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    An independent shop specializing in Prius might be a better option. Depends on the dealership, but a lot of them are very mercenary, really just trying sell you on bulked-up service packages.

Disclose more specifically where in Ohio you are and maybe someone will have suggestions for an independent mechanic.

I'd second all the above comments; Exhaust Gas Recirculation circuit is clog-prone, ditto for the intake manifold due to Positive Crankcase Ventilation dumping oil/water/air mix into the intake manifold.

Oil consumption is cropping up more-and-more, and in that regard the 2015 is likely the best, has revised pistons and rings for just that issue. The earlier years have components that maybe were trying to eke out a bit more mpg, lower friction, but were not up to the job?

Have a good look at the underside too: the suspension rusts up fast on salted roads.

#7 Mendel Leisk, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you pop the hood and everything's filthy, and there's a lot of leaves jambed in there at the base of the windshield: never a good sign, lol.

padroo likes this.
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Talk about judging a book by its cover...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It’s at the gas station with a for sale sign, but you can probably find a green one on line, albeit shinier

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Aegisth

Aegisth New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Gase mileage and the fact that it's a hybrid. Based on what I've read on here they also last a long time.
    2. It includes a separate repair fund.
    3. For minor changes, yes. I don't have the space to make larger changes.
    4. I do not, no. I'd planned to use the dealer since I read reports of many independent shops not really knowing how to work on a Prius.
    5. I'm not sure, honestly. 2k? I'm mostly driving around town with half a dozen trips out of state on the East Coast.
    6. Until it dies.

I kinda feel like I should look at a Gen 2 if only because the price is lower and I'll have enough for a battery replacement.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    2k miles in a year:whistle:?

Are you sure yours a car and not just rent one for your out of town trips?

If I were in that mileage a year position I would not buy a car;).

Happy new year and good luck (y).

Bay Stater likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If that 2,000 miles a year figure is even close to correct, I would not get a hybrid. That's only 38 miles a week. I walk farther than that. Seriously! Well, I did before I got my rowing machine.

Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you considered a pip? a bit more money, but would last forever, and perfect for your driving

Bay Stater likes this.
  15. James1964

James1964 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Which rowing machine did you get?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A hybrid only makes sense financially if you drive long distances, it does not improve mileage much for the first 5 miles, after that it is phenomenal. (15 miles in winter)

Your $8,000 will go much farther in a Honda Fit or even (shudder) a Nissan Versa if you drive short distances.
    The best shops are independents, as are the worst. More detail in your location can help you get recommendations. At the least folks will tell you which dealerships to avoid. Some are truly wretched.

I hope we were some help!

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  18. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A plug-in or electric car would suit your needs better.

Pixel XL ?

19. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's gotta be a "typo" folks - OP lives in Ohio and a half dozen trips to the East Coast would be significantly more than 2k miles per year.

20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Rowing Machine - Sunny Health & Fitness
    Best bang for the buck I could find when I was shopping for it. The display is worthless, but I don't use that -- just my watch. And it started making loud clickity-click noises after a few weeks. Chased that down to sticky grease in the rewind spring. Disassembled, cleaned, & re-lubed spring which was really hard to put back in. Also propped up the back end to increase the slope because it was working my legs too little compared to my arms. Love it now!!

Back on topic now. I also wondered if an electric car would be a good solution. Fine if the typical trips are short enough. It wouldn't fit the need for the occasional trip to the coast, but a rental car would fix that.

mjoo likes this.