1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First time buyer questions - Price/mile and scheduled maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Aegisth, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Attached Files:

jerrymildred and JimboPalmer like this.
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you keep posting parts of the manual, toyota cars soon wont come with car manuals anymore :p

Bay Stater, padroo and jerrymildred like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's just my interpretation of the manual, there's no table format in the Toyota booklet.

Bay Stater and padroo like this.
  4. egn83b

egn83b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my prius as a lease return i saved 8k dollars off the price and financed it for 6 years and paid it off in 4 yrs. Anything toyota with a battery pack expect 5 year mark to see milage to start falling south and by year 10 have the funds ready to buy a restored or oem retail pack. As long as you daily your prius and only put synthetic oil in it it will run like a clock. Leaves and dirt dont tell the rest of the story always check or ask about maintence history from the dealer or original owner. Anything with a collision history stay away.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Spent 6 months searching for an ideal Prius which includes trim, color, history & price. 1/4 of prius personally inspected had clean car fax but we’re missing vin stickers at their reserved spots. Collision / accident history not reliable on paper.

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    5 Toyota family, 3 Prius. 200k hatchback, 70k v , 50k v. Guess that tells you how we feel about the brand and the Prius in particular. The 70k was bought used. The others were bought new.

Location and access to a trusted mechanic to go over the car before you buy would be questions I'd ask you. An independent mechanic who specializes in the Prius would be great, probably better than most dealers. OTOH, some dealers are great. It all depends. Ask other Prius owners in your area. Search them out in the parking lot...politely.

7. Threej

Threej Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just as a price data point,

Last January (1 year anniversary!) I bought a 2010 from a Toyota Dealership with 120k for $7900, with complete maintenance history and the 100k maintenance already performed.

I've loved it and am averaging 51mpg (display) for the year.

On 2010s and 2011s with higher mileage, the negotiating power is with you. Don't pay $8000 for 130k+. I had to walk away from the dealer and they called me back 3 days later $1,000 below their "final offer."

Lightning Racer and James1964 like this.
  8. griffibaby

griffibaby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    What's a pip?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    plug in prius, 2012-2015

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. griffibaby

griffibaby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
  11. griffibaby

griffibaby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a 2010 going on 170,000 miles. I 've been very fortunate in that I just replaced the brakes recently and that's been my largest expenditure. Never had it in the shop for anything else. At one time zI was putting roughly 500-600 miles per week on my baby.
    Realisticslly, I would like to keep it until it dies but I know I'm looking at a battery and whatever else along with that; I don't really have much of an idea re: cost. As an upgrade, I would like to install some soundproofing and have looked at several "how to's". I'd also like to upgrade to a better stereo and bluetooth for phone (if such an animal exists) with backup camera.
    I've seen some posts of 600-800k mi. and these cars are still kicking butt. I would love to keep mine for at least another 100k or more. My driving now is at a much lower mileage and I don't drive it hard and hot like the 500 mi per week years ago.

One other thing. Had a dog I used to take with me hiking etc. Left him in the car briefly and he chewed on the hard plastic console piece that runs up from the floor, around the gear shift up to the console compartment. I've thought of taking a soldering iron to it to "melt it" and perhaps shape the hole closed (small dog, small hole).

I would appreciate some feedback re: any of the above mentioned upgrades.

Love your Prius and it will love you!

12. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a 2010 2 yrs ago off Craigslist, was asking 8k, talked him down to I think $6500-7000 (paid cash so I can't remember). Had 156k miles on it but the catch is that the traction battery had been replaced under warranty at 112k. At 170k last yr I had to have a headgasket job and water pump due to water pump failure (common problem on gen 3), for $1500. But it's still worth it, I'll get 100k more miles at least out of the engine, and getting over 50mpg, runs great.

RMB likes this.