1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First time car buyer

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Christoph Kincaid, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Christoph Kincaid

Christoph Kincaid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So this is the first vehicle I have purchased on my own and trying to make sure I can make it last as long as possible, so I hope that I am able to become an active member in this community. I had a couple of questions I'd like to see if I could get helped answered.

1) The body type of my 2010 Prius. When looking at reviews online, it seems basic and I'd classify as a II, but when I look as my purchase agreement it has hatchback 4 written down.

2) When I first purchased it around a year ago, I was getting gas mileage around 42-45 mpg. I had to let my mom borrow it for a few months, while I was out of town and she averaged just over 50 mpg. However, now I'm lucky to get 34 mpg. I do live about 2 miles from my current job so I'm worried the little driving I am doing might have an effect, especially since a portion of that is getting on a highway. Any thoughts or advice from this community would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

not sure what you mean by body type, the option packages are usually what the number signifies.

yes, short trips include warm up which is less efficient. low 30's sound right, but were you getting low forties previously with the exact same driving? it is also very hot, and a/c eats up the fuel.

3. Christoph Kincaid

Christoph Kincaid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I believe packages is what I meant. I've very positive it is the II since it doesn't have Bluetooth, and single CD tray. The mid-40s was when I was driving about 60+ miles a day.

So would it be beneficial to my car to drive more per day? I'm not too worried about my mpg, just want to make sure I've not doing anything to hurt my car in the long run.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, it wouldn't be beneficial, as long as it has finished the warm up cycle, and the engine is off when you arrive at your destination.
    however, you may want to keep an eye on the 12v, as it can suffer from minimal driving. some people keep a maintainer on it.

RCO likes this.
  5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Without searching for and downloading the sales brochure the choice between a II and a IV is pretty easy. The II has cloth seats while the IV has leather. The II does not have a CD player. The IV has a Home Link auto-dimming mirror.

In going 2 miles I doubt the coolant is getting up to 150F (never mind 180F) so the engine is always cold. I'm surprised you are even getting 30mpg. You may want to consider blocking the grill to keep whatever heat you do have in the engine compartment.

If you have access to an electrical outlet buy a trickle charger to prolong the life of the 12v battery.

RCO likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the short trips will kill mileage (hence your reduction). I would definitely try and stretch its legs every once in a while (go on a longer 10-20 mile journey).

The II has a CD player. III, IV and V have a 6-disc in-dash CD changer (except when equipped with navigation, then it drops to a 4-disc in-dash CD Changer).

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.