1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Time Changing Own Oil... Did I do it right?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MSCookie Monster, Apr 29, 2019.

1. MSCookie Monster

MSCookie Monster New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello All!

This community has been a great tool for me to utilize when curious about different things so I figured I'd come here to ask. I recently changed my oil for the first time (with an experienced friend's supervision). I know that I got the right viscosity on my oil and the right filter but I just wanted to ask: What are some easy ways to make sure that I have changed the oil correctly? I've driven about 15 miles since the change and haven't noticed any issue but I'll be embarking on a 1,000-mile journey soon and want to double check before I head out. One specific thing that I've read, but don't know much about, is the o-ring on the filter. I took off the old filter and then used the Mobil-one filter straight out of the box so I don't quite know if that would include some sort of o-ring. I am a noob at cars and everything associated so I greatly appreciate y'all's help!

Thank You in advance!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let the car sit for a few hours on a level surface then all the oil in the top of the engine will drain down into the oil pan and will give you a very accurate reading of the oil level on the dipstick. The G2 takes exactly 3.6 quarts with a new oil filter. Keep the oil at the top full line at all times. If you have to add a little bit do it.

You didn't list the mileage on the car but its age infers it may be approaching 200,000 miles? if over 150,000 miles its probably an oil eater as most are on this site so if you plan on taking a really long trip I would check the oil every single day before I start the car. Driving 8 hours a day at 75-80 mph's the car will use some oil. Run the engine dry will total the motor. Want to buy a new engine on the road? Really easy to accomplish. Just never open the hood.

Also the other thing that will get you is the water pump fan belt. G2 only has one belt on the front of the engine. Its sole purpose in life is to turn the engine coolant water pump. Belt fails pump stops working and the only alert you will get is the engine light comes on. Too late that engine alert is telling you the engine has severely overheated which usually blows the head gasket on the engine. Stupid design that has killed many a G2. I changed mine even though it looked good at 90,000 miles. When i go it off it was pretty cracked.

Replace that belt.

3. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, the new filter should come with a new O-ring on the top, which you should coat with some of the new oil you are going to add. Dip your finger in the bottle and just put a nice coat on it to make sure it seals properly. You do want to check your OLD filter and make sure that the o-ring is on there, which means you didn't leave it on the car. More than likely you didn't and all is good. You would most like have an instant oil pool on the ground if you doubled up the O-ring.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome! And congratulations on the first step toward taking care of your own car. I find it very rewarding.

Another tip, if your mentor didn't already tell you, is to always use a new crush washer for the drain plug on a Prius and to make sure the old one doesn't stay on the oil pan or the drain bolt. And don't over or under tighten it. I don't have time to look up the torque for that bolt, but unless you're used to tightening them, it's easy to have it too loose or (more likely) strip the threads.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I use the Mobil-1 filters and it looks like Walmart is carrying them again.
    Did you use 5W-30 oil? What kind?
    Biggest issue is overfill and these days 3-quarts seems to be all I need at first...maybe I add a little more after that. Maybe I check oil now.

6. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Put in the 3.5 quarts of oil, put the jug/bottles of the remaining oil in your trunk (lid on real tight and maybe in a box/bag in case of leakage) because you WILL need to top off. And its best to keep it in the car rather than in your garage, in case you are away or find yourself in need of some oil 'right now'.

Hokie-Dave likes this.
  7. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And don't forget a funnel. Keeps the area around the coil packs a bit cleaner if you don't spill oil on the number 1 coil pack. :) I needed oil and forgot to bring it on my last trip and had to pay a ridiculous price for a funnel at a gas station (along with the crazy price for oil).

dave

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I noticed @Ragingfit (in one of the last of his engine swap videos) using a cut-off (Toyota?) quart oil bottle as a funnel. Very hand, neck roughly the same diameter as the opening, maybe even has the same thread pitch? And with the neck of the bottle offset, it allows you to shift the "pour zone".

Video #14 here, about 2 minutes in:

Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v | PriusChat

Screen grab:

upload_2019-5-7_9-52-25.png

9. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, those always make good funnels if your fill hole is wide enough. Only problem is, that doesn't really work if you don't have one on the road. :) You kind of have to empty one before using it as a funnel. But it is a cheaper alternative to buying a funnel to keep in the car. I almost never buy single quarters of oil. I always buy the 5 quart jugs. Valvoline 5-30 high mileage blend for the Prius, Castrol Edge 5-20 for one, Valvoline 5-20 high mileage blend for another, and Mobil 1 5-30 for another. lol I wish I could just use 1 brand...

Mendel Leisk likes this.