1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First-Time Hybrid Owner Questions: 2010 Prius II

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jzerot1437, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Jzerot1437

Jzerot1437 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all!

I purchased my first hybrid yesterday--a used 2010 Prius II with 75k miles on it.

I've lived in NYC the past 12 years, so the last car I owned was a 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier, which was a far different type of vehicle. I was hoping this forum could provide some pointers on the 2010, and hybrids in general.

As the car is a decade old, I'd like to know if there's a way I can check the battery's health outside of a visit to the mechanic; I've read there's an app I can use for this, but the more I've researched, it feels unclear if this can be used for the 2010 model, and also appears to require an accessory for reading the battery.

Additionally, my car makes a slight "chirping" sound while driving at lower speeds, and when braking. I understand that while braking at lights, hydraulics kick in and power the battery--is this "chirping" associated with that as well?

Also would love to hear any advice you may have in general; the vehicle doesn't have a ton of mileage on it, but given its age, I'd like to give it a delicate touch in the hope that it can stay on the road for a few more years.

2. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Use the app Dr. Prius and buy an obd2 reader, I would go for Carista since you can mod a lot of things on the prius that other readers can not do using their Carista app.
    The Carista OBD reader will work with these other prius apps including Torque app.

Prius Doctor is also another good app.