1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First time in the snow....Prius found lacking. :(

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by qdllc, Feb 17, 2015.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had training on how to drive on snow and ice, so I wasn't worried taking the Prius to work.

Getting home was as I expected. Be slow, take it easy. When I got home, I couldn't make it up the drive, but that's not uncommon. Even my pickup could struggle if there was more than an inch of snow...given the incline.

What bothered me was how difficult it was to keep snow and ice from building up on the windshield. Even on full defrost the wipers missed a lot near the top of the windshield. Is this a common shortcoming? Makes me think against owning a Prius where you can expect regular snowfall.

2. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1 Get snow tires or chain, prius will turn into a snow tank, your LRR tire will do no good in snow.
    2 Wiper blades, have you change them recently? and what do u mean by missed a lot near the top of the windshield, if the blades are frozen just break the ice off them and it be good.

3. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Concerning defrost; the Prius is very efficient and minimizes waste heat. Defrost (melting ice on the windshield) requires lots of waste heat.

Perhaps grill blocking would help a little with melting the ice from the windshield.

Notaclue likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    take it out of eco, and use power mode.

NoPistns likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on the type of snow, temperature and the like. If it's dry, fluffy snow, it'll clear all the way to the end of the wiper. It may have some issue if the snow is wetter or if there's ice involved (the wiper will glide over the ice because the pressure isn't there, like it is over the middle of the blade). It's a pretty sweeping generalization to assume all snow will affect the wiper blades.

6. CapeAnn

CapeAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My Prius is stuck in my snow covered driveway - cockeyed. What was funny was spinning the tires trying to get out. Traction control is not your friend when you are trying to get your Prius out from a snowbank. I'll wait a few weeks for the snow to melt, or get some rugs and put them under the front wheels to increase traction. Right now the weapon of choice is the AWD Forester and VW Golf.

As per wiper blades - they seem fine. Just a little frozen at the tips.

7. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the "waste heat" thing is a big issue. At least on the pickup, the issue would be ice packing up on the bottom where it gets swept. The wet stuff just cakes and you have to get out and just shove off the buildup. Normally, though, the glass gets hot enough that ice slides down and gets flipped off by the wipers. The Prius created hot zones where it would melt, but the upper edge and right side just didn't seem to get warm enough to get the ice to slide off.

And with longer blades, I've noticed the tension against the glass on the ends isn't good enough to overcome gradual buildup. The blade defaults and glides over it rather than pushing it off the glass surface. Clearly most of these systems are designed with water and not snow in mind. The car's a 2013, so the blades should still be good.

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the windshield in prius is huge due to its low angle of attack. i can see how it can cause problems with icing.

Sporin likes this.
  9. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When you try, try cat litter under wheels may help.

CapeAnn likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but check for cat's before attempting extrication.(y)

tpenny67, Notaclue and CapeAnn like this.
  11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius winter abilities are what they are.

I don't think the Prius is a particularly great winter vehicle. But I don't argue it with much passion as many people adapt and use the Prius in pretty extreme conditions.

I do however think that if driving in relatively extreme winter conditions is a priority of your driving? Then there are numerous vehicles that are designed with that in mind. The Prius is a hybrid, and it's priorities in design are aimed at efficiency, not getting you to the ski lodge or over the mountain pass in mid-winter. Even though, yes, I know it can do both.

Tony D and Redpoint5 like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

+10C and sunny here. Highs of +12C to +15C for the last few weeks. The crocuses are coming up. Birties chirping, all is good.

Seriously, some messed up imbalances at work these days.

CapeAnn likes this.
  13. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius is 5 years old and counting. I have never found the Prius lacking in the Canadian prairies. About the windshield: Is that really a shortcoming? You can still drive with snow near the top. In fact, my whole "upper" rear window has been covered for the past 3 days and I've never bothered to clear it. Sure, I could get a ticket from the PoPo.......I use the lower rear window anyway.

14. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm on my 4th winter with the Prius, always with dedicated winter tires and it's really very competent in the slippery stuff. I've taken a few trips I shouldn't have on snow covered, slippery, icy roads and it's always done well.

On stock tires? Never in winter, no way, no how. Those things turned hard as rocks when temps got below 40.

I have a hard time keeping the inside windshield glass fog-free. I have never noticed and extreme build up of snow on the OUTSIDE of the glass though.

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just drove through another blizzard in the Rockies coming back from a ski weekend and the Prius did fine. Up and down sharp grades, a nice layer of ice on the road covered by 6 inches of wet snow. There was an accident that closed the road for 2-3 hours and I "creeped" up a huge hill, which is essentially the worst case scenario. Stopping on a steep incline covered with snow and ice, and then moving a few inches to stop again and repeat for a couple hours. Basically as people gave up and turned around we just moved forwards. (The only alternate route was about a 300 mile detour, and Google showed it had 7 wrecks on the stretch of road we needed).

16. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought I was the only one with the OP's problem. I find it difficult to keep the windshield clear when I am driving on a road with snow on it. When I try to use the windshield wipers, I wind up with a mess. Perhaps what I need to do is to change wiper blades regularly each Fall in anticipation of winter weather. Or will this not work?

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use the single blade wipers. I believe Rain-X brand but there are lots out there. They clear in one swish, leave no streak marks, and form perfectly to the curvature of the glass. I am actually about to replace the ones on my Leaf with the same style since the Leaf ones can't keep up with snow-fall.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, I'm also happy with the OEM rubber inserts, so long as they are kept fresh. I've decided that means yearly for me, but that is probably a local climate thing. In the dry high desert SouthWest where I live, if it is not snowing then the sun is beating down :)

19. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ice winter tires a must ,, grill blocking a must

20. Gray Runner

Gray Runner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Try flipping down your sun visors closer to the window, that will capture more heat to stay at the top of your windshield

Greg75 and qdllc like this.