1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First time opening a battery, cool.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bmparent, Jun 6, 2019.

1. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMG_2762.JPG IMG_2765.JPG The question is a bit moot at this point, but I just took the cover off the failed reconditioned battery that I had put in about 6 weeks ago; There's this dusty/sandy substance all around the bottom of the battery, I don't know if it's an indicator of some kind, or just regular dust or junk that got in somehow. Also, there's a few cells that have this red substance coated on them. Hmmmmm. Maybe this is normal...

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I definitely got ripped off. I've got Toaster's kit coming in the mail soon which I why I'm taking this one apart. I decided not to pursue another battery from florida battery racket.com because they would charge me for the install and then I'd just have another junky battery.
    Like other gen.2 owners, I've been dealing with water in the trunk for years. I've been doing my best to isolate the leaks and plugging with silicone. It's improved. I'm wondering if any of this material above is an indicator of water damage. But I know that subject has been done to death, so I know there hasn't been much conclusive evidence of water ever being much of a problem for the batteries.

Skibob likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The debris is remnants of corrosion that was probably on the fastener nuts. The red on the thread stud
    is just marker that was originally placed on the fasteners during the factory assembly

The red on the plastic of the module? I'm not sure about that. I've seen green before, but not red. The green is just a bit of electrolyte that has seeped from the terminal seal. Maybe they have red electrolyte also?

bmparent likes this.