1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First time Prius owner - Red Triangle of Death and Limp Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusJack, Sep 27, 2023.

1. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are/will be incredibly lucky if you do not get a trouble code from the replacement HV battery in the next few weeks of usage. Do you know the car's age and mileage that it was removed from?

Keep your old battery for at least the next 3 months to make sure everything is okay with your replacement.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Great news! I hope the replacement HV battery will last for many years.

3. PriusJack

PriusJack New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m already lucky that the replacement worked which allows me to start making money and paying rent.

The car was 2 years newer than mine, lower mileage, and it went into the junk yard for a bad transmission, not from a bad battery.

For $100 it’s a great deal. In retrospect, everyone else paying $700 for used batteries which may or may not go bad shortly thereafter experience the same troubles as me, except I’ve paid a lot less for my troubles. I would’ve spent the same in a few individual cells off of eBay.

Also, I noticed that there is water entering my car, so there was a lot of rust near the HV battery terminal metal plating. The new battery does not have that rust, so maybe it will be a better connection going forward. The battery I removed was the original stock battery that has been refurbished a couple times by the prior owner.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats. Hope it continues to behave.

As long as any HV connections are "tight, but not too tight". Most of the stud and nut connections have a torque specification of 48 INCH pounds.

A fairly strong person can achieve that using a screwdriver.

Just be sure to check and top up engine fluids at least once a week. You can go longer between checks once you know how much is being used or lost.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well Done. yeah $100 bucks is a no brainer. I would keep the old battery around and maybe with more time and education you can pull each cell and test them individually with a voltmeter. They you can recharge/refurbish the bad ones and have new cells ready to go for future issues. The water in the trunk is common. on the hatch edges there are weld seams that leak. A coat of Silicone fixes it. Also just check under the 12Volt battery often for build up...some people just drill holes to allow the water to drain out of there....and also under the spare tire....it is up to you.
    Well done.