1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Time Traction Battery in Protection Mode at Over 50 C

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by HGS, Sep 6, 2015.

1. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know how and why the ECU protects the battery if it is very warm. Today was first day I saw it in my 2013 Prius I purchased not long ago.

In about 15 minutes the TB 2 temp. went from 52 C to 44 C. The fan was at 90% (first time seeing it run that fast also). I had the air conditioning full cold and max air flow. I've heard others talk about the TB not cooling down very fast or the AC making a difference. I disagree. I think cooling 8 C in 15 minutes is good.

The engine started and never shut off for about the first 10 minutes of "ready" mode. I still got 42 mpg on this 8 mile drive.

See time stamp on IPad pictures below.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#1 HGS, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  2. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Make sure the fan cooling the battery isn't clogged with dog hair or something (you said you weren't the original owner of the vehicle, so you don't know its history). You will find threads elsewhere on this in the forum telling you how to disassemble the intake to check. Good luck!

3. Roger T

Roger T Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have never seen the BT2 so high (125 F). My highest record of BT2 is 118 F. At that time i don't really remember the battery going to protection mode. The AC was blasting so the cabin temp got down quite quickly, hence cooling the battery.

Well i live in Mass and you are in Florida. ;)

4. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Above about 50 C TP temperature the ICE will run all the time so that the battery isn't stressed more. Yesterday was not particularly hot ( it was overcast and about 92 F). But, I needed to run errands at lunch time (heat soaked), then left work at 3:30 PM. Nornally the TP battery is about 45 C after work, even on the hottest, sunniest day.

My cooling fan is clear and is working well. It cooled the battery from 52 C to 44 C in 15 minutes.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have seen 125F only two times. Both times similar to HGS, car heat soaked in work parking lot and then several short trips with start/stops that heat pumps the battery.

If you can find an extended drive without start/stops the AC and battery fan will cool down quickly.

HGS - I like your Engine Link screens. I have mine set up very similar.

6. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today there were no errands at lunch and no heat soaking. The OAT was about 5 F cooler. The cabin temperature was about the same at 90 F, but the traction battery temperature was 9 C cooler.

Today the TB started at 43 C and 15 minutes later was 40 C. The big difference between the two days was the lunch time errands and the traction battery becoming heat soaked yesterday. Many other PC members have commented in the past how this will happen (driving in high heat, parking for awhile, then driving again).

#6 HGS, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  7. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What difference today. I went to work before sunrise and the TB temperature was very low (didn't snap shot). Leaving work with OAT about 95 F the battery temperature still low ( about 35 C) (front and rear sunshades and windows cracked 1 inch open). The TB went up from 35 C to 39 C in 15 minutes rather than down like the past two days.

I will be going out again in a few hours. Will see if the TB is heat soaked like first post two days ago.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Too bad that solar fan doesn't also directly pull air over top of the battery.

9. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agree. I wish I had a solar fan. For me I think the key to making my battery last for 10 years plus is to keep using both window shades, leaving windows cracked open 1 inch and limit the days I make several short trips close together during the hot summer. This will be natural for my usual schedule. I normally drive 35 miles to work about 8 AM and drive home about 4 PM and park it for the day. It should be low stress for the battery, even on the hottest summer day.

10. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How is that information shown on the iPad? I heard of the Torque app for Android but I never knew there was something for iOS. Anybody care to comment?

11. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Buy an ELM327 WIFI adapter for the ODBII port, and buy the EngineLink HD IPad app. $25 for both.

Attached Files:

12. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

A0001 ?

13. RogerHq

RogerHq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello HGS,

Noticed your "Remaining life" widget in your EngineLink parameter display setup.
    Haven't reconized that parameter in my own EngineLink-copy.
    What PID Does that number come from?
    Do you know how it is calculated?
    I believe the internal resistance parameter (PID2195) is involved...
    Greetings/Roger

14. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's really just a different title for SoC. You can find it under A_Standard_PID_US.csv. It's PID 015B

A*100/255

image.jpg

15. RogerHq

RogerHq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I see... Anyway, I'm still curoius how Toyota decides when the HV-pack is worn out. My shop I somtimes hire for service had a device who showed me a number I believe represented cell degradation for the entire HVpack. This spring it said 56%. A month later the car refused to start and I replaced the HVpack with a used one. I have to measure the cells in the broken pack someday. I still believe PID2195 tells me the answer here. Have you checked that up yourself? My reads 0.02- 0.03 Ohms, that is a nunber with lousy resolution, it should read out the value in milliOhms instead. I'm using the "Prius-Gen3" PIDset.

16. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know a lot about testing the battery health yet. I do know how to look at each cell volts, ohms, delta SoC, V-max/V-min, low/high/hot count, DCI count.

PID2195 is the Ohms reading for each cell. The 14 cells are labeled A-N. You are right that the resolution is not that good.

I read about rebuilders that load test each cell on a bench. I think that's the true way of finding battery health.

17. RogerHq

RogerHq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I guess that Toyota calculate the internal resistance with better resolution than is presented in engineLink. I suspect there is a unintentional error who wipes out the least digits because the value is so small. EngineLink has other errors in their parameter readouts like speed in km/h...