First Timer with an issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by WhatsAnEngine?, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:32 PM.

1. WhatsAnEngine?

WhatsAnEngine? New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So my 2009 prius with 220,000 miles on it is making a terribly loud noise when I accelerate and the battery is almost always on 1 pink bar. The ICE engine is pretty much always on. My thoughts are that the hybrid battery is going down. I took it to toyota previous to a long trip i made and they said my catalytic converter and sensors were shot so theres also that, but they said there were no problems or codes with the battery (i asked specifically). Im having a hard time figuring out how to get the video i have to post but in essence, sounds like a lawnmower when I accelerate.

2. The Lizard King

The Lizard King New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you sure you even have a catalytic converter underneath?

3. Rodney.E

Rodney.E New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Could it be a heat shield On the exhaust vibrating?

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    not sure how far from Olympia you are, but maybe I can help?

When the battery level is down to 1 pink bar it has very little power so your engine will normally run much harder and a bit louder to compensate for the lack of electric power. So if the noise is not the sound of a sick engine, just an engine that's running hard, you ought to be allright.

But your battery may need some attention. Do you have any warning lights on your dash? Does the battery always stay on one pink bar?

One thing you can try to get your battery to charge up to more bars is put on your emergency brake, put your left foot on the main brake, put the car in drive and floor the accelerator with your right foot. This will force charge your battery. Let us know if it responds to that?

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    At 11 years old and with that many miles, you likely have BOTH a cat problem AND the HV battery on the way out.

BUT.......first have the 12 V battery tested, maybe twice if the first test comes up good.
    Putting ~$150 into a 12 V battery often is a reasonable gamble before you sink over $1K into other things.

The cat and HV battery are both "expected" repairs at some point in time.
    One of the pitfalls of buying a high mileage used hybrid.
    There may be other problems with the engine looming too.

6. WhatsAnEngine?

WhatsAnEngine? New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all for the replies! I’ll have my 12V battery tested for sure. I do in fact still have my cat under there so luckily it wasn’t stolen, but i also found that where it connects to the...exhaust manifold??... its shoots soot all around the engine over there so i figure it needs tightened or repaired or something. And yeah the battery is always one bar pink. Probably on its way out. Another concern is that i burn oil like no other. I burned through 2 quarts in a few hundred miles on a long trip to Spokane (where i reside for now). And i have no oil leaks, i have had it checked several times. Perhaps this has to do with the cat and soot problem?

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. All of the oil that exits the engine with the exhaust does not burn up.
    It fouls the cat and causes smoke and soot.
    It may be close to choking the engine off completely.

UNLESS you want to tinker with this car and spend a LOT of money on it over the next couple of years,
    I strongly recommend that you unload it......now.

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And any warning lights on the dash?

Based on everything you described this car shouldn't even be drive-able? Or at least that will be the case very quickly... So many things wrong with it I don't know where to even start.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    An oil burner with 200k+ miles and needing a traction battery (not to mention exhaust repairs and who knows what else) would be one that I'd send out to pasture with a hearty, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

dolj and fotomoto like this.