1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Toyota - Not impressed with Paint

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by shawnpjh, Dec 4, 2013.

1. shawnpjh

shawnpjh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So I just got a Prius v two weeks ago. Now I know cars will have small issues at first. My window gaskets were messed up when I took delivery. Been waiting 2 weeks on that and supposedly will have those repaired this Friday.

My bigger concern is how horrible the paint is on this Prius v. Is this normal for a Toyota? I got the Sea Pearl greenish color. At an angle, I can see 100's of small pits in the paint, "trash" underneath the clearcoat, a few burs/raised spots, rough non-smooth paint on certain areas of the bumpers, runs of paint in certain areas. I have never had a brand new car with such a bad paintjob.

After waxing the car 1 time, it looks a year old. The clearcoat seems to scratch just by touching it. My Chevy was almost 10 years old and didn't ever have these sorts of paint issues and it was a blackish-green color.

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I almost bought an Energi. I had the deal ready and was about to sign. But it had too many scratches in the plastic piano-finishes. The cargo space was bad. Then the sinker was when I found out the battery is $8,500 to replace, not counting installation. I also see very few of them on the road in FL and am concerned resale will be horrible. The dealer is overloaded with 2013 models in Dec 2013 and Ford has said 2014 will only be a 9-month run.

I did find the Energi plenty peppy and fun to drive. I just can't stand the shiny scratch-prone finishes. I did appreciate they didn't put fabric on the doors like the Prius V - the part I hate the most about the Prius V interior, other than lack of enough accessory and USB ports, which were liberal in the Ford. Ford even had a regular 110v outlet for the rear passengers.

Great two first post's, how do you like the comfort of the seats?

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My silver paint is very good 2 years later. I have never waxed. Some people still think it's a new car. I would complain to the dealer and then escalate to Toyota and see what they can do. It must be a one off problem at the factory in Japan.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if I'm not "impressed" with Toyota's paint or if I just have had horrible luck and a rather isolated issue.

I have a Sea Glass Pearl standard Prius, and unfortunately some spots appeared on it. Even though the general most popular consensus is that it was some type of substance or chemical that got on the vehicle, whatever it was soaked or worked it's way through the clear coat with relative ease.

I'm still dealing with the issue.

I have to say, I have never had a problem like this with the finish with any vehicle I have ever owned. I would of expected more defensive protection from a brand new vehicle with a brand new clear coat. Evidently that is not the case.

On a brand new factory painted vehicle? I don't think you should be seeing burrs, pits, raised spots or any of the symptoms you say it already shows.

My concern if your new Prius is painted in such a manner would be is it a factory paint job? Or for some reason was it repainted?

Given my experience, I'm beginning to wonder if Toyota's paint process isn't flawed or faltering.

I might be the victim of just bad, bad luck...but it's a little interesting that you happen to have the same color vehicle. And your paint job as you describe, seems unacceptable in what should be a factory painted vehicle.

5. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    .................After waxing the car 1 time, it looks a year old..............

It may have been best if you pointed out the paint issues to the dealer before you waxed the car; would not give them any excuse to blame you for the blemishes in the paint....

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Barcellona Red still looks shiny and new when washed - no scratches or blemishes.

7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Winter/Magnetic Grey Metallic looking great after two years!

8. shawnpjh

shawnpjh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't notice the problems with the paint until waxing it. I specifically told the dealer NOT to detail the car so I could detail it and find any issues.

I got the Toyota survey for buying a new car, mentioned the problems, and the dealer responded within about 2 days. The interior, I only have one small issue with the steering wheel controls not being aligned quite right and wrinkles/loose fabric in the back seat cloth seacovers in two or three spots - relatively small to nothing issues. It's only the paint that seems to be sub-par.

The dealer, to their credit, wants to try to fix it and have Southeastern Toyota rep look at it. But I live 30 miles away. So I'm having the local Toyota look at it when there for window gaskets on Friday. If they agree that I'm not overreacting, will go to the other dealer.

To the person who said I should've not waxed it, no amount of wax will put fibers underneath clearcoat or create pits in paint. The car is 2 weeks old as of yesterday. And it's supposedly warranteed. Not once have they said the bad paint is my fault. There's no way I could melt car paint and make it run, unless maybe I took a heatgun to it and intentionally tried to ruin it.

9. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pictures?

10. shawnpjh

shawnpjh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

I really have no suspicions it's not factory paint or is re-painting. I think it's just that they paint a lot of cars and sometimes mistakes happen. I'm only noticing this issue on the hood and only one spot on the roof, not the entire car except rough patches on the bumpers (which aren't visible to the eye).

Next time, I'm getting a silver or white car since those colors seem to hide more defects!

11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would take it to the selling dealer. They made the money on the sale, the local dealer only gets paid if they perform a warranty service.

12. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A while back I was sitting outside on a beautiful day when a van pulled into a dealer's lot and the dealer's guy came out and talked to the driver. Out came a spray gun and new cars suddenly started getting paint applied to fix transit chips.

I also bought a Chevy only to discover about 9 years later when rust appeared that it had been repaired and not disclosed but sold on to me as a new demo. This had to have been a major accident, not something trivial. When delivered, cosmetically perfect.

And it isn't uncommon to have repairs done at the distributors.

So don't assume it is the factory.

13. shawnpjh

shawnpjh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Oh wow. I'm off work Mon. May be taking a short road trip then back to the original dealer. Thanks for all the info. I'll post later how this turns out.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^THIS^^...and...

My own investigation with my own vehicle, I have been told similar stories.

I was also told, that generally factory paint jobs are absolutely the best you can get, from the standpoint that they are done by robots as the vehicle is assembled.

The paint as described by the OP....factory or otherwise, doesn't sound acceptable to me.

I can only offer opinion based on the information the OP is providing. In the original post:

" At an angle, I can see 100's of small pits in the paint, "trash" underneath the clearcoat, a few burs/raised spots, rough non-smooth paint on certain areas of the bumpers, runs of paint in certain areas. I have never had a brand new car with such a bad paintjob."

I wouldn't be happy nor would that description meet my expectations for a brand new factory painted vehicle.
    However...
    " I'm only noticing this issue on the hood and only one spot on the roof, not the entire car except rough patches on the bumpers (which aren't visible to the eye). "

The follow up description sounds far less "Horrible".
    To the OP? I wish you luck getting this resolved to your satisfaction. And I don't think your waxing the vehicle should have any impact in any evaluation. Waxing a vehicle is part of ownership and actually an action of finish protection. Unless you waxed it using sandpaper and a flame thrower, it really shouldn't be an issue.

15. shawnpjh

shawnpjh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    100's may have been overzealous. I can find about 20 pits and raised burs mostly on the hood, some pits on the roof and what looks like a fiber (?) under the clearcoat, also on the hood. My dad called it a "squiggle." It's the look of a fiber combined with a hazy area about the size of a dime, then two pits about an inch away. I quit inspecting it after getting frustrated. There's a run also in a wheel well but I put mudflaps on and it hides it. The bumpers on the passenger side on front and back are also rough only on the side for some reason, then the entire rest of the bumpers are smooth.

OK. I take it back. I wasn't overzealous. The paint stinks.

The hood is the most obvious I guess because it's flat and catches the light. I detect far less problems on the vertical surfaces, probably because they aren't reflecting the same as the hood when a light is turned on above it.

To the dealer's credit, they called and said I could drive the 70 mile trip and they'll "look at it."

16. Pane

Pane New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Shawn! I have a 2005 Prius. It was sold to us with two main sales pitches to put to rest our two biggest concerns- the battery has been improved so that it rarely needs replacement and the paint is a "Toyota quality paint" and as long as I take care of it it should last. So we bought the Prius over the Volkswagen passat and the honda we were looking at. To make a long story short, we had to replace the hybrid battery ($3500) last year and the paint on my vehicle looks like a horrible disease! I am fighting with local toyota and getting nowhere! Toyota does NOT stand behind their product. I have babied this car, waxing monthly! My inside looks brand new. I am sick about how horrible paint looks. I will never buy another toyota. Horrible customer service on top of a horrible product.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my '04 w/ 120,000 miles still looks like new and original battery.:)

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we're on our eighth toyota in 12 years, all great paint jobs with zero issues. i would say you got a lemon. it happens. then again, when you buy an 8 year old car, you accept the risk/reward.

19. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    What was age and mileage when the battery went out?