1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First 'trouble' at 10900 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The closest thing that I had to a "perfect" car was my Suzuki Samurai.

It had 40k miles on it when I bought it from my folks. It had one issue, and it was one that plagued every Samurai on the road, and that was the cheesey vinyl door panels were coming apart. I spent about $14 bux for some better quality vinyl, and reskinned the panels.

My Dad was going through this thing about only needing to change the oil every 5k miles, regardless of driving conditions, thanx to a moronic Consumer Retorts article experimenting with taxi cabs, and extended drain intervals. So, I had to flush the crud out of the engine when I bought it as well. After doing this, that vehicle literally, and I do mean literally never required anything more than following the routine schedule for wear items on the car. Nothing ever broke on this car.

Due to my Dad's neglect on the service, the engine did start to get tired early, so I was going to do a diesel conversion. Unfortunately, I had a back injury and had to sell off the vehicle, and the diesel kit, so that I could replace the Saturn SC2 that was used for commuting duty at the time. I could no longer get into it to drive it. The was when the nightmare known as the VUE came home to roost.

2. jchu

jchu New Member

Agree with DaveOlyWa. While we are waiting for our replacement HV computer (see earlier post), the Prius itself has returned to normal function. Toyota seems to be taking a very proactive approach to their new HSD baby.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well just be thankful the Prius doesnt use microsoft software!!!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update

Took my car in today to have the DTC/trouble code pulled for this incident. Well, they found no stored code (weird), they found an old code from 720 miles ago about a pedal position A, but it's a nothing. Can't explain why they didn't find anything.

Anyway, I got home only to find my letter about the LSC 40E Limited Service Campaign So will not have to make yet ANOTHER trip back to the service dept. for that. Ugh....

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

have you had any repeats of the condition that caused the MIL/tringle/vsc/abs/airbag light show in the first place?

6. Batavier

Batavier Member

My GF has a Suzuki Swift 1.3 GS (don't know what it's called in the US), but the only problem we've had was a faulty battery after the car had been standing still for over 6 months. Changed the battery and voila it started at the first try (over 100,000 miles on it). The largest issue we now have with this car is that the gear box is getting a bit 'creaky', but that's it. And of course some minor rust problems here and there.
    Go, Suzuki!

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, and I tried to reproduce it without success. I'm still wondering if this is due to water leakage into the Engine compartment due to the leaky seal that they just put out the LSC on.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Whoops. Duplicate. Sorry! :oops:

9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Had it rained recently? My incident happened immediately after a huge rainstorm.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, not that I recall...but it's possible....that week's a bit of a blur b/c my daughter was born a few days before...I remember a light rain the day or two before. I had gotten the car washed, however, a day or two before as well. So, the water thing is definately a possibility.

11. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That may be it then. It seems that the majority of prius power failures happen after rain. If you look on the edmunds forum, one of the posters there (think the name was drscientific) talks about a problem with insulation being bad on something called a "M5 connector" which can cause the exact problem you had.

I don't know if mine was M5 related, but they had to replace the inverter. Hopefully they fixed the insulation as well. Do you know if there's any way to visually check to see if I have that new seal they're talking about? And would that seal protect you from water splashing up when you drive through puddles?

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    even better question, had you washed the car recently??

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave,
    Re-read my prior post...yes, it had been washed recently.

Johnny,
    I don't know how to visually check...give it a couple days, if you don't get a letter call Toyota to see if you have the old or new seal.

Hopefully the new seal will prevent this occurance....I think I'll wait to have it done 'til my next oil change though.