1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First UOA, 4k mi, 5w-30 Havoline Deposit Shield

Discussion in 'The File Library' started by Mr Incredible, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Changed factory fill at 1200 miles, replaced with it with this oil, 5w-30 Havoline Deposit Shield. Ran this oil 4000 miles. First two thousand miles were 50/50 city and hwy, last two thousand were a trip to Montana and back.

Needed no makeup oil.

No surprises here, just waiting and watching for the next several to see how it beds in. Thanks for stopping by.

Attached Files:

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm a bit surprised the oil sheared that much after only 4K miles. The motor in my FJ likes to shear oil, unless I run Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula, but my Prius has *never* sheared like that

To contrast, running Mobil 1 0W-20, from last year I put on 14,289 km before I changed the oil and filter, in October

Fe 7
    Cr 1
    Mo 67
    Al 3
    Cu 1
    Pb 0
    Sn 0
    Si 17
    Na 9
    Zn 642
    K 4

Soot UFM # 0
    Sulf UFM # 13
    Nitr UFM # 10

cSt @ 100 C: 9.4
    TBN 5

It's important to have the TBN checked. I'm a bit surprised they checked the viscosity but *not* the TBN, as it's an important indicator of how much life is left in the oil

3. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Jayman.

The DS is the thinnest (and most generally available) 5w-30 on that list that used to be found on BITOG. I don't know what happened to it, but I have a copy on my computer and attached a copy to this post. The other thin 5w-30 is Castrol Syntech. I don't know much about the Toyota motor and how much it shears, but I'm not terribly upset about it. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it treats the oil in upcoming UOAs. I've used DS in the Camaro and the LS1 was very kind to it, though it isn't a beefy oil by any means.

I am not concerned with, and didn't ask for, a TBN check since I'm not interested in extended service. After all, we only put 4k miles on the oil before it got changed. I'll not be going over 5k miles anyway, so I don't think it matters much.

I'll be using non-synthetic for at least 10k miles, and may not go to PP until 15k or 20k. I have until then to decide which syn I go to, with the other possibility being the aforementioned Syntech.

Attached Files:

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As long as you are happy with the results. Even running fairly short oil change intervals, TBN is good to know, along with nitration.

For my used oil analysis, there isn't any additional charge to know the TBN and nitration. If they're already checking viscosity, might as well check the tbn and nitration

I made a typo on my results. The ending viscosity was 8.4 cSt, not 9.4 cSt.

5. mech ifr

mech ifr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  6. gosgirl

gosgirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II