1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured First USA Gas Station Going Fully EV Charging.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, Sep 27, 2019.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I have said before that smart station chains should start adding charging stations. People stopping there stop for a while and so tend to go into the shops nearby and those sales are the real moneymakers. Start at the edges, don't replace pumps yet. Maybe 2. Then as usage increases, add more.

Someone in marketing should do a study to see how overall profitable the charging station users are compared to the pump users.

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    A QuickChek was recently opened on my commute route, so I wrote to them asking if they were going to have an EV charging station. They told me there was no room, although there's parking alone for at least 30 cars. I told them to have a nice day.

vvillovv and Trollbait like this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The article quotes the number of electric vehicles in the State.....I think.
    And the number seems WAY high to me, unless maybe you include plug-in hybrids.

But a number with much more significance to him would be the number of electric vehicles within 50 miles or so of his business.

Traffic patterns for vehicles farther away than that would be hard to determine.

Unless there are many other businesses close by, I fear that his experiment is doomed to failure.
    It also looks like the pumps haven't been removed, just temporarily taken out of service.
    THAT might be a smart move.

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Those look like the charging stations that EA uses, in the photo. From what I see on Plugshare, it looks like he's in a good spot.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In this case, the station owner was unhappy with contracts the fuel suppliers were offering. So they chose to say no.
    Another issue that might spur a complete switch is the costs of maintaining, inspecting, and replacing the underground tanks.

donbright likes this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think he was getting ready to close down the business anyway, and when the state offered a $786k grant for converting he decided to give it a whirl.

Gas station owners never earned much from the energy they sold. It’s all about getting the drivers to come in and buy some highly profitable coffee or snacks. That was a quick service/high volume thing. Now he’s going to need something that occupies more time- maybe a row of office pods he can rent out to people who are there to charge? Slot machines? Spa treatments?

He can still close it down and sell off the land for redevelopment, but at least he got somebody else to pay for inerting/removing the tankage. It might even be worth more now, without the liability.

#7 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the article, the area he's in badly needs charging stations. It also says he has a convenience store, so it sounds like he'll do ok.

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out his place on google Maps, RS Automotive Carroll Ave. Takoma Park, MD. Looks like he keeps busy.

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If he was selling 2000 gallons a day, that’s about $40.00 in daily profits he’ll need to replace. Probably not too difficult.

The convenience store is the other 90-95% of his profit. Hopefully he can hang on to that traffic level.

donbright and salyavin like this.
  11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the photos on Plugshare, they had a ceremony reopening the place and there's a Bolt police car sitting there.

12. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Next time I'm in the DC area I think I'll try to stop in and plugin just because.
    checking to see if this link to his location on google maps works.
    Google Maps R S Automotive Inc.
    and his business web page
    RS Automotive Inc - Maryland's Finest Auto Experts

When I had my 14 PIP, I called a local university just within EV range, to ask the same question. They give me a similar answer and I learned my lesson well. Not everyone nor all businesses are interested in automotive electrification like I am and many others here at PC and Tesla forums. (if I can assume many of you are?). I'll bet they didn't even want to know about the state program electrify NY, either.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    keeping up that walk-in traffic will be the hard part.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he should add a hydrogen station as well

vvillovv likes this.
  15. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The gas pump can refuel 2 or 3 times as many cars as a charger in the same time. But it does it fast enough that many people don't stop and leave the car to go inside.

But a car at a charger contains a driver who is going to be there for a while. Sell newspapers, magazines, phone charging...

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what we're doing up here. Petro-Canada is installing 50kW dual-head DCFC in select stations along the Trans-Canada Highway so you can drive from St. John's, Nfld to Port Hardy, B.C.

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Needs to be something to keep the charge customer occupied and out of everyone else’s way, so he isn’t hassling all the coffee/croissant/gtfo types.

“Hi! Did you know I have an electric car?? Well now you do. HA! You don’t have one do you? Oh I noticed you just stabbed me, is it because I have an electric car? It’s the silver one out there. No the other silver one..."

#17 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A competing claim here, which I notice was published the very same day:

Norwegian Gas Station Becomes First in World to Replace All Pumps With Electric Chargers

If the Norway story is accurate, being the first in the world to open earlier this week, then the U.S. station in Maryland was very hot on its heels in opening Thursday.

The included chart claims that Norway had the highest share of plug-in car sales of any nation last year. I was in Norway earlier this year, and found an extremely high adoption rate of both Teslas and bicycles in Oslo, though less so in the other areas we visited. Apparently Olso's high rate of alternative transportation (including rail) is driven by high congestion fees. At least hydropower is abundant.

Second on the chart is Iceland, where we saw numerous remote charging stations during our visit last year.

upload_2019-9-27_22-7-26.png

vvillovv likes this.
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's the brilliance of ditching the gas pumps. Charge customers will only be hassling other charge customers.

drash and vvillovv like this.
  20. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    May also cut down on the chance of ICEing the charging stations.

Unsupervised!