1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

first week with my prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by sparkyroy, Aug 27, 2011.

1. sparkyroy

sparkyroy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    after my first week with this car driving in town only not had a chance to do a long run am getting about 50mpg uk gallons that is
    very happy with this hope to get more as time goes on.

also think as uk car does not have a bladder tank is this right.

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure about the bladder , but that is good FE for in town albeit UK gallons are 20% larger ? Do you not use the metric measure in the UK? Hal

3. sparkyroy

sparkyroy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes thet sell it in litres now but everyone still works in gallons

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The UK version of the Prius has never had the bladder in the fuel tank, we also do not have the thermos tank, but we do get 16inch wheels as standard on all gen2's which limits tyre choice's unless you go from 195's to 205's witch are also cheaper.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Forgot to mention we also do not get heated mirrors a joke in our climate, but there is no other car to compare in my opinion. To improve fuel consumption accelerate briskly to bring the car up to speed then remove your foot from the accelerator then gently reapply so that no arrows appear on the display screen.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  6. sparkyroy

sparkyroy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the pointers and about the tank shame about the mirrors but still a good car growing on me. having lots of fun with the voice control does not like my voice but getting there.

does anyone have a list of words that work with it.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Type in voice command in the search feature at the top of the page this will bring some up and there is a comprehensive list in the navigation manual if you have it, including navi, telephone, climate control, audio, and cruise. It is fun to press the talk switch and say home (when you have it set up) for it to give you instant instructions to get you home from any where.

8. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    50 is ok, the first owner of my gen3 was getting 45, i was getting 64 unmodified. Once you've really learned to drive it you should get high 50's or low 60's in a gen 2.

Do you miss your old manual gearbox? Haha, didn't think so! i never want to drive a manual again.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Download this userguide from John1701a

John's Stuff - Toyota Prius User-Guide

Definitely worth a read! The commands are on page 40 according to the Table of Contents

His homepage is here John's Stuff - Toyota Prius and more (Prius Info is the tab you want to go under for information on ownership, tips, tricks, etc)

10. sparkyroy

sparkyroy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks everyone for the help. been reading in the forum about people saying the seat is not very comfortable me being a big person i fined it ok ,but to the others i say comfort comes first if the seat is not doing its job get it recovered and lined must be lots of places doing this.

we do this all the time with bikes but most people i know just put up with a bad car seat why?

forgot to say got car manuel ,servics book and a dvd on parking but no book for satnav.
    have set satnav for home ok and voice works if u say home ,if i say other words it sometimes goes nuts like other day said audio 3 times got telephone then a/c twice,found if speak in a high voice it works ok . been giving me and the wife some good laughs never knowing what its going to switch on or off next lol.

11. MarkR42

MarkR42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also had my UK Prius a week.

I thought even after I'd test-driven a couple, I don't want to drive a manual again :)

It takes me a bit of getting used-to, to mentally disconnect the throttle with the engine-note. But I seem to be getting 61mpg (Imperial, Americans!) on medium-distance (20+ miles) trips.