1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fitting mobility 12volt AGM battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Britprius, Mar 3, 2013.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread I bought a battery with threaded insert 6mm (M6) studs . I intended to purchase pre-made JIS post converters that would screw in, which seem to be readily available in the US, but I couldn't find any locally, nor afford to import from overseas, I made my own out of brass as I had access to a lathe. Still works great 4.5 years later and zero problems. Like John says, these batteries do not draw high currents.

#341 dolj, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    SFO likes this.
  2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Under no circumstances should you be using the Prius 12 volt battery for jump starting conventional cars or trucks. The battery was not designed to power starter motors, and when the vehicle being jumped starts the alternator in that vehicle can and will put out more current than the Prius battery maximum charge rate of 4 amps. See the top of your battery.
    If you use the jump point in the front of the Prius for the purpose of starting other vehicles you will almost certainly blow the fuse mounted in the Prius positive battery terminal.

John

SFO likes this.
  3. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Perhaps my post was misleading. I wasn't suggesting using the Prius to jump-start another car. I was trying to demonstrate that in a jump-start situation, a relatively small contact area can carry a subtantial current load -- far more than would be necessary for a Prius battery.

milkman44, Britprius and SFO like this.
  4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No worries. It's important to point out the problems for anyone else reading the posts that may not understand the problems that could arise through jump starting.

John.

#344 Britprius, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    tvpierce, Bunce, SFO and 1 other person like this.
  5. stargazer08

stargazer08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have read through the 18 pages of this thread and I have a question about operating temperatures for the mobility batteries. How well do these batteries work in cold and hot conditions.
    When I look at spec sheets for different brands of batteries, I'm not seeing numbers that give me confidence that they will work in very cold or hot weather. -20C to 45C is generally what I'm finding.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't tell you, as the climate here is mild and it gets neither very cold nor very hot.

I don't see why a mobility AGM battery would differ that much (in this regard) from the OEM AGM.

7. Ramanjit81

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello John,

It's always a pleasure to read up on your contribution.

I'm looking for one of these batteries and wonder if you can tell me where I might get one.

The prices I've found are multiples of the £55 you suggested. I appreciate that you paid that 5 years ago but I'm getting crazy prices.

Also- is there supposed to be cranking amp rating for the mobility batteries?

Is the cranking amp rating of any significance in a Prius?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Moto G (5S) Plus ?

#347 Ramanjit81, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  8. Ramanjit81

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are looking at the 55 Ah model: 12v 55ah Batteries Dimensions: (LxWxH) 229mm x 138mm x 208mm, it maybe ok.

This maybe taller than you can accommodate and it is a few mm wider, but from memory there is latitude in the width.

I would check whether the height measurement includes the terminals or not and physically measure your old battery to use as a comparison and guide. A few mm shorter should ok, but if it is too high you may not get the trim cover back on.

I have no opinion about the brand.

#349 dolj, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Ramanjit81 and SFO like this.
  10. Ramanjit81

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the prompt response.

I wanted to make sure that the specification and type of the battery will suit.

The height on this one is less than the Ritar used by John so I don't expect problems there.

Also does anyone have any experience with this brand? (I realise the possibility is small given that only a handful members are in UK.)

Moto G (5S) Plus ?

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That battery will be fine in the Prius as the sizes given match. A little ingenuity will be required to fit the terminals, but the solution in post 329 should work well.
    I have no dealings with that manufacturer so I cannot comment on it's likely reliability, but I have no reason to suspect it's quality.
    Cranking amps do not apply to the Prius.
    Price wise the price of lead has risen enormously over the last 5 years.
    "Tip" If you know anyone that is disabled to buy the battery for you it will not be subject to VAT.

John.

Ramanjit81 likes this.
  12. Ramanjit81

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many thanks for reverting.

I'm just afraid that the weak 12v battery might weaken specific cells of the hybrid battery just as it happened last time in March 2014.

So I'll be quick to order this one.

Best regards.

Moto G (5S) Plus ?

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is most unlikely that the 12 volt battery is the reason for failure of the hybrid battery. I think you were unlucky to have hybrid battery failure so early, and that Toyota treated you poorly.

John.

Prodigyplace and Ramanjit81 like this.
  14. Ramanjit81

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really hope you're right and I'm not heading for disaster this time around on the double.

Both 2006 and 2007 Prii.

We were away for 6 weeks so I disconnected the 12v battery on both.

The day I came back I connected the 2006 (with hybrid battery changed in Apr'14), and it started fine. I used the car moderately for 1 week.

Then I connected the 2007 back up and that started up fine too but the warning lights on the dash came up the next day. I drive that car for over 200km that day and the warning was gone.

2 days later I got back to my 2006 and the battery was totally flat. Nothing happening on button press, no clock, no siren etc. So had to jump start it. Again drove it for around 300k that day.

I'm dreading checking on the 2007 one now even though the 12v battery in it was changed only in November 2017 under a warranty exchange from my local motor factors.

I want to change the 12v in 2006 anyway as it is nearly 4 years old, just don't want to take any chances.

You'll hear from me if my fears come true anyway.

But, once again, many thanks for your advice to me and the generous contribution to this thread.

Moto G (5S) Plus ?

15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Letting the vehicle sit unused for an extended period can potentially weakening cells, and is bad for the HV battery :(

Ramanjit81 likes this.
  16. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The charging system is weak for the 12volt. Keep up on using a trickle charger to keep it charged properly.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Ramanjit81 likes this.
  17. Ramanjit81

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now, I have a different problem.

I got the battery, but just a day before that, I rechecked on the 12v battery that's in the car, as I've been driving a few hundred km per week now.

I see that the magic eye (indicator) of state of charge of the battery is fully green, i.e. is fully charged.

So, I don't know what to do. I know that the existing battery is 4 years old and I have the new one with me now.

So, should I change it anyway?

The existing battery does seem to be holding up just fine at moment though.

Any idea how long can a new/ unopened AGM mobility battery be kept in its paving before it starts deteriorating?

Moto G (5S) Plus ?

18. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  19. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Put a load on that battery in the car, you'll see it drop.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Ramanjit81 likes this.
  20. Ramanjit81

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't have either, but I'll get it tested at the local battery store to see what they say.

Thanks for responding though.

Moto G (5S) Plus ?

audiodave likes this.