1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fitting mobility 12volt AGM battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Britprius, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have no reason to expect this type of battery not to be superior against the OEM and Optima at a far better price.

You have to bear in mind that the Prius battery is a very limited market, part of the reason for the huge mark ups. The dealers make more on replacement parts and services than they do on sales of new cars.

The number of electric wheel chairs and scooters in use world wide is enormous and there are two batteries in every unit. This means they are made in large numbers.

Because of the applications involving disabled people these batteries have to be reliable, safe, have longevity, and the ability to withstand abuse both electrically and physically.

John (Britprius)

Fostel, Ramanjit81 and SteveLee like this.
  2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Is this a typo? Like, you have no reason NOT to expect this..?

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes thanks changed it.

John (Britprius)

Ramanjit81 likes this.
  4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The smaller battery RA 12-33 at $70 based on $200 from the dealer would be close to 1/3 of the price.

John (Britprius)

Ramanjit81, kithmo and usnavystgc like this.
  5. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Then I believe your discovery of the use of the mobility battery, being superior to the OEM and typical replacements in expected life at a far better price, is a very welcome contribution to the Prius community. Thanks John.

Genghis John likes this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    These batteries are also suitable for UPPS power supplies, wind and solar energy, and even fork lift trucks. They are made in capacities from 26 AH to 3000 AH.

John (Britprius)

Ramanjit81 likes this.
  7. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I can see they would also benefit solar charged battery powered outside night lights. In what applications would they not be suitable?

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They are not really suited to vehicles with starter motors and alternators giving out 15 volts+ at 80 to 100 amps to recover quickly from the discharge of the starter. They will work but will be dried out by the high current leading to an early demise.

The RA 12-33 is 9.9 amp max charge rate and the RA 12-55 is 16.5 amp max. The Prius only charges at 4 amp max and is designed to charge AGM batteries. In an emergency it is ok to charge AGM batteries with an ordinary lead acid charger as a one off, Some chargers have an AGM setting and it is safe to use those or specific AGM chargers.

John (Britprius)

Ramanjit81 likes this.
  9. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    John, what has been your experience with the effect on cycling of the ICE? Does it retain a charge longer or shorter period of time resulting in the ICE running more or less often. I guess what I'm asking is did you notice any change in MPG in your car with the battery change?

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I cannot in all honesty say the battery has improved fuel consumption, it has not gone down either, but a bad battery can and does cause MPG drop as the HV battery continually tries to charge a battery that will not hold a charge.

I changed my battery as a preventive measure and because I am having an electrically powered system installed to load my electric scooter requiring a good battery,"no use loading the scooter the finding the car will not run because the loading gear had used up the battery".

I also at the time of change needed a new battery for my sit and ride mower so the Prius battery ended up there, saving all round.

John (Britprius)

11. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So this battery is pulling double duty then? The scooter loading system runs off the car battery? Do you use any kind of solar charger or carry a battery jump starter just in case? Do you carry an inverter to run a charger for the scooter?

12. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great discussion... So happy we're talking about facts rather than the usual close-minded Optima-supporting fear and loathing of something different routine!

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes the loading system runs on the car battery. I do not use a solar charger or carry a jump start battery.

I do not need to charge the scooter during the day as it last for the day and is charged with cheap electricity at night. If I am going away for more than 24 hours I take a mains charger with me.

I could if needed jump the car from one scooter battery, but the whole point of the exercise was to make things reliable and easy to operate on my own. For example if the system cannot unload the scooter because of a flat battery I would not be able to get at the battery.under the floor with the scooter on it.

John (Britprius)

14. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes, it has been a good discussion because of the facts that John started with in this thread. I agree, it helpful when we stick with facts.

PriusCamper likes this.
  15. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wanker!

Awesome... Was wondering why this discussion was so troll-free? Welcome to the discussion Mr RichWanker. Do you have something to offer to this discussion? I sure hope so!

I did see a few Personas on the lot in Roseville and they look great. Something about those upgraded rims make the car look so much more luxurious and sporty.

After searching further, the Prius Persona in Blizzard Pearl is what I want. The black cherry is pretty nice too, but the Blizzard is the safer bet.

Also, when I see delivery fee listed on cars...do people always have to pay those?

PriusCamper likes this.
  16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This from someone that believes an Oddesey 18 AH battery with the wrong terminal layout is the perfect battery for the Prius, and have you seen the price.

John (Britprius)

17. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The is a awesome post, I think this will be my next battery.

PriusCamper likes this.
  18. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A Prius puts so small of a load on a 12volt battery that its quite likely even the worst battery would work just fine. I mean how many people are driving around with Optima batteries that barely even function as real batteries and they swear by how great they are simply because of how much money they were tricked into paying, and besides the Optima has pretty circular parts and a bright yellow-top. If that isn't proof of value, well perhaps most people don't know what value is! :)

19. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just googled "ritar ra12-55" and found it is a company based in China:
    Ritar : About Ritar
    Google did not return results on where we can buy the battery, but many results of replacement batteries. I guess it is made mainly for OEM purposes. If someone finds a US retailer please post. Thanks!

SFO likes this.
  20. ls40095

ls40095 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A