1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fitting mobility 12volt AGM battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Britprius, Mar 3, 2013.

1. ls40095

ls40095 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or this one?

Ritar 12V SEALED AGM Lead Acid Battery | eBay

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Member Css28 has found suppliers in the US, why not PM him.

John (Britprius)

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Ritar RA 12-33 is the smaller version mentioned in my post, the Powersonic is the same physical size and will work much the same the only real difference is the post type terminals with a hole through each one. You would have to work out your own method of connection. There also does not appear to be a vent on this battery.

The Ritar is the better of the two in my opinion.

John (Britprius)

4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I should have bookmarked it. It appears that I may have been mistaken about the manufacturer.
    I assume that most that advertise as a replacement for the Ritar part are similar in characteristics.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ba
    Batteries Plus has lots of mobility batteries and there's one of these stores in just about every major city and town in the USA. Here's the equivalent BatteriesPlus battery that Orginal Poster of this thread recommended to me: WKA12-55C/FR 12V 55Ah Werker AGM Flame Retardant Battery - STEEPCLIMBER - Solo Wheelchairs - Wheelchair or Mobility - Batteries Plus

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All of these batteries are the same physical size and are either 33 or 55 AH capacity some of them do not appear to be vented, but this may just be the fact that the vent is not visible in the pictures supplied so check when ordering.

The Ritar battery appears to have a higher capacity because it is rated at a 10 hr discharge rate against 20 hrs of some manufactures. The difference when the figures are adjusted means a 33 AH battery at 10 hrs is actually about
    37/38 AH at the 20hr rate, and the 55 AH battery adjusts to 61 AH.

The 33 AH battery is equivalent in capacity to the Prius OEM battery but is much better at withstanding deep discharge.

Making batteries rated at 10hrs higher in capacity. Hope this is not to confusing.

John (Britprius)

Ramanjit81 likes this.
  8. ls40095

ls40095 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm on the fence here. I found both Ritar battery's in your post. Do I buy the smaller and OEM equivalent for $60 or the bigger Ritar for $140...Hmmmm

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That question I cannot answer for you. If you use the car on a regular basis the smaller battery will be fine. If the car is left standing for weeks "at airport, or at home unused ect" go for the larger battery. Other factors to consider are things that put extra load on the battery "inverters, sound equipment".

The smaller battery will require a block of wood under it "about 1.25 inches to bring it up to the same hieght as the OEM battery. This is not a hazard.

John (Britprius)

mosesk likes this.
  10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am happy to see people in the US now taking an interest in mobility batteries. Finding similar batteries at realistic prices, to those I have advocated.

The 55 AH version of the battery I realize is getting close to the OEM and Optima price, but the battery is of much higher capacity and shrugs off being deep discharged making it much better value in my opinion.

While the 33 AH version "the same capacity as the OEM and Optima" is a steal at around $65 to $70. Still with the deep discharge capability.

I find Ebay and Amazon a good source for choice. Looking at the feedback of the customers on Amazon the batteries seem to be universally liked for there reliability in many different applications.

John (Britprius)

11. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Each must decide what their condition needs. I have no additional demands on my battery like inverter or additional sound equipment, though I do have SKS smart key and I may add an inverter at some point, but based on the equivalency to the OEM, I'm currently thinking when it is time I will go with the smaller one and expect it to last at least twice as long as the OEM or typical replacement for a third of the price. YMMV.

Working out good solid connections and ensuring there is adequate venting are the biggest considerations to me.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Steve with the post type terminals, the positive and negative terminal clamp bolts could be removed and replaced with longer bolts. These would then pass through the post with a nut and washer on the other side. This should give a good mechanical and electrical termination with only the OEM bolts removed.

John (Britprius)

13. Monius

Monius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I don't want to create any frustrations, but I would not recommend using those batteries in the Prius. Please stick to the OEM recommended batteries.

The charge-discharge characteristics of the Valve Regulated AGM batteries offered on this forum are very misleading.

A lot of R&D goes into the design of such batteries and trust me, a car with specifications such as the Prius will not work well with a battery designed for wheelchairs...

Regards,

Monius

14. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Since John is well known for this knowledge and experience with the complexities and intricacies of the Prius and he has used one of the mobility batteries for a year in his own Prius it seems that it does in deed work well.

15. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm glad to stumble upon this thread.
    A few days ago I was thinking I needed to replace my battery in my recently purchases '09 Prius with 28,500 miles.
    I had not yet seen any "negativity" about the Optima Yellow and even went so far as to chat with the gentleman in the office.
    Now it's back to the drawing board to see what to do when I eventually do need to replace the battery.

Thanks again

16. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh no!!
    Now I see the 2 most recent quotes above mine and the "controversy" continues.
    What's a new Prius owner to do?
    I have clearly spent much more time reading about my Prius than driving it.
    Hope that changes soon...

17. Monius

Monius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi SteveLee,

It's ok, I just wanted to provide my professional opinion on this subject. You wouldn't believe how many people worldwide are trying to get warranty out of irregular or out-of-spec usage of batteries! Most of the time, all they wanted to do was save a few dollars, and they ended up damaging systems worth hundreds of thousands of dollars...

I've been actively doing R&D in collaboration with multiple universities in North America on this particular type of battery. This is why I thought I could give my 2 cents' worth of advice. I just do not agree with the charge-discharge cycling information provided and the cycle life expectations.

I usually do not comment on this forum, but I find it extremely helpful when doing mods on my car!

Take care,

Monius

18. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If you have been doing R&D on this particular type of battery then your professional opinion is most certainly appreciated. Some facts to support it would be most helpful in weighing the pros and cons. I believe John has provided quite a bit of information. Could we see some from your research that does not support the use of the mobility battery? We are all just trying to make fact based decisions in this matter.

19. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One related question and one unrelated.
    1. Did I read somewhere that Gen 2 Priuses with SKS have the larger battery installed?

2. Please give a little more commentary on the gel vs the acid battery.
    I believe the dealer service consultant made a point of mentioning the gel quality of the OEM battery.
    Is it important to use the"gel technology" when replacing the OEM?

Thanks

20. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I love it... He says he's a "professional" and he's seen "ended up damaging systems worth hundreds of thousands of dollars" and then he offers "2 cents worth of advice." No facts no details no substansive information of any kind but says a mobility battery is wrong? What a wack job!

GrumpyCabbie likes this.