1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fitting mobility 12volt AGM battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Britprius, Mar 3, 2013.

1. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have been having problems off and on for the past hour.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All lead acid batteries sulfate if they are not fully charged.

I answered his questions and I gave him the correct answers that I believe he was not expecting. The one thing he did say at the top of post 64 was that he had not done research on the Prius battery or words to that effect and seemed to know little or nothing about it's charging system. Strange!!

John (Britprius)

Ramanjit81 likes this.
  3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks I thought it was me.

John (Britprius)

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes but once a month should be more than enough.

John (Britprius)

5. ls40095

ls40095 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like someone that works at a dealership. I'm not an EE but Ive been flipping cars for over 30 years.

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. Monius

Monius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The amount of active material, commonly called "paste", present in each cell is what sets its capacity (after it has been pasted on a lead-alloy casted grid and cured to eliminate free lead and reduce humidity).. . Each positive plate in a , let's say, 15 plates cell has a set capacity (in discharge) of 7 x pos plate capacity (generally, the positive plates are thicker than the negative plates, therefore 1 more negative is required per cell in order to do an optimal discharge).

Not all lead-acid batteries are "deep-cycle" batteries. This is the same for AGM batteries.Usually, the deep-cycle battery will have thicker plates than the other batteries. Also, starting batteries, or cranking batteries, have thinner plates, in order to provide a larger CCA or MCA. They also normally are made with separator materials that will allow much better flow of acid from positive to negative plates.

There should not be any free acid in an AGM battery cell, as it is guaranteed to not leak if the container is broken (this is especially critical in the aerospace and defense industries). However, low-end models will have more acid than required. Gel batteries will also not leak, as their electrolyte has been "gellified". The VRLA part of those batteries is simple a pressure release valve that makes sure the battery emits a minimal quantity of hydrogen gas. However, in the event of overcharge of the battery, the VRLA will release hydrogen gas.

Flooded Lead-Acid batteries have flame-arrestor bayonets or caps that eliminate the risk of explosion. They can also be supplied with catalytic caps in order to extend the period between required maintenance.

AGM and gell batteries have 1 positive aspect: they do not require maintenance, they are called "maintenance-free" batteries. This means no distilled water needs to be added every 3 to 6 months in order to keep the electrolyte level above the plates inside every cell. Flooded Lead-Acid batteries require maintenance, but if overcharge or severely undercharge happens, they can generally be regenerated by doing a corrective equalization procedure. AGM and Gel batteries, under the same conditions, are often rendered useless. This is why they are more common in backup systems and the automotive industry, where they generally get more "charge" than discharge. They are not heavily cycled at all. They are also regulated by sophisticated equipments, which ensures they last as long as possible.

No lead-acid AGM battery can claim to have a long cycle life at 100% DOD (Depth of Discharge). It is not physically and chemically possible. This is what the Lithium-Ion, NIMH, Nickel-Cadmium, etc. batteries are good or better at. However, nothing, yet, financially beats the capacity of lead-acid batteries in deep-cycling installations. The recommended DOD of all manufacturers of flooded, AGM and Gel Lead-Acid batteries is 50%.

We have batteries installed throughout the world, Flooded Lead-Acid, who are being used to power complete villages or manufacturing plants. They are really reliable and have long cycle life, but are very heavy and need maintenance.

It all depends on the application... and the will to maintain!!!

Finally, I would like to point out that the maximum recommended voltage for a full charged lead-acid battery is 2.1VPC, or 12.6V for a 12V nominal battery. The voltage could be higher if the battery was filled with higher density or specific gravity (SG) electrolyte and if the internal temperature was higher than 25 degrees Celsius. However, the voltage mentioned by BritPrius could indicate a few things:

- Overcharged battery (positive material deterioration)
    - Undercharged battery (sulfated)
    - High SG originally (we've noticed this in low-end models of batteries, in order to boost initial capacity and voltage)
    - Surface voltage from a battery that was just taken off charge (generally, the 2.1VPC is measured after a 1/2hr rest, without any load or charge applied).

Regards,

Monius.

skwcrj and mosesk like this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the details Monius... It was hard to understand what you were saying without the details....

Do you think 'anti-sulfate mode' on a trickle charge charger once a month would be enough to address your concerns and thus allow for the reliability/successful use of an AGM mobility battery?

8. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Monius- now that you have clearly established your credentials and seem to know a LOT of what you are talking about are you still maintaining, as you did in your post #54 that:
    "I don't want to create any frustrations, but I would not recommend using those batteries in the Prius. Please stick to the OEM recommended batteries.
    The charge-discharge characteristics of the Valve Regulated AGM batteries offered on this forum are very misleading.
    A lot of R&D goes into the design of such batteries and trust me, a car with specifications such as the Prius will not work well with a battery designed for wheelchairs..."

I don't think we want to invalidate anyone's experience, especially Britprius and all that he has shared here.
    But you have made a pretty definitive statement above.
    Are you firm in your conviction?

koolingit and PriusCamper like this.
  9. Monius

Monius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am heading to work. I just received the updated book of battery applications, which contains info on all vehicles, of any type, using a lead-acid battery on this planet. I will consult the book and then compare the 2 batteries.

Thank you,

Monius

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. Monius

Monius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Battery Replacement Data Book specifies a group S46B24R battery, 270 O.E. CCA (@0F). It also mentions that the battery needs to be VRLA. This comes up to a 45AH battery @ 10HR.

BritPrius, do you know how much current is being fed to the battery while on charge, and what voltage? This would help me determine if this group S46B24R is really a necessity and also make sure that your choice of battery is getting the required charge to prevent sulfation.

From my experience though, 10AH should not make such a big difference, even if it represents 22% more capacity @ 10HR than the spec battery. 10AH / 10Hrs = 1A… No big deal!

Thank you,

Monius

11. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Glad to see a second opinion from an independent source. :)

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are two sizes of battery fitted in the Prius depending in the US if the car does or does not have a key less entry system called SKS. The vehicles without this system use a smaller battery 35 AH the UK/EU vehicles us the larger battery. Both variants use the same charging system. The Prius from voltage measurements I have taken charges between 13.8 and 14.6 volts " it may go higher than this with a very low battery but I do not think so" at a maximum rate of 4 amps (not measured Toyota information).

I am not sure your 45 AH figure is correct (40AH) for the OEM Panasonic battery, but will check the battery I have when it stops snowing.

It is my understanding and experience that AGM batteries have a cell voltage of around 2.2 and flooded lead acid lower at around 2.1. This gives a fully charged AGM battery a voltage of 13.2 volts. The resting voltage of the new battery "fitted in my post was 13 volts out of a sealed box. The nearest date this could have been charged was 12 days prior to being opened by me, if the supplier had charged it before dispatch. However the box had not been opened and resealed so this is doubtful.

The manufacturers production date was a little over 2 months prior to fitting. I would have been alarmed if after being used in the car for a few hours this 13 volts had dropped to 12.6 volts as per your figures immediately off charge "not rested" and would be disappointed if it had fallen to this level after resting.

The charge rate voltage and current are in line with those stipulated by the battery manufacturer for cyclic use. The recommended rate for float charge being 12.8 volts.
    Your posts are somewhat ambiguous stating that the battery is both under and over charged

The problems that arise with the OEM battery is it's very poor recovery form just a few deep discharges and it's comparative low AH capacity. The car if left standing unused will discharge the battery in a matter of 3 or four weeks. If the owner is in the habit of listening to the radio in accessory or ignition on mode will quickly drain the battery. Hence the search for a battery that stands up to deep discharge, and for some a higher capacity battery.

One of the reasons for this is that a considerable number of ECU's and a display screen (back lit LCD about 5 x 7 inches) are active in acc or ign modes. A low voltage battery causes the many ECU's in the Prius to give out fault codes for faults that do not exist on making the car ready. It perhaps should be explained that in either of those modes the battery is not on charge. The 12 volt battery is only on charge when the car is made ready, this does not necessarily mean the engine is running nor does it need to be to charge the battery, as it is charged from a 6.5 AH 201 volt battery.

It should also be pointed out that the Prius does not have a 12 volt starter motor so cranking amps become irrelevant although I appreciate manufacturers always quote this. The engine is started by the 201 volt battery.
    This does prove to have it's drawbacks because when or if the 12 volt battery is getting weak on a normal car there is warning with the starter cranking slowly and getting slower.

With the Prius every thing is fine till the initial load brings the battery below 10.5 volts then the dash lights up like a Christmas tree but will not be made ready so cannot be driven, and sometimes cannot be shut down from this situation. Jump starting comes with it's own problems "even from the so called professionals" reverse polarity connection can do $1000's of damage "not always", if your lucky it blows some very expensive fuses that are a major job to get at.

I can do some further test checking voltage and current but having to work outside this will be weather
    dependent. As I said previously the Prius battery under normal use is hardly cycled at all only used for the first 10 to 15 seconds with a very modest current draw the largest being the hydraulic pressure reserve pump for the brakes if extra pressure is required when the drivers door is opened to ready the brakes for use.

Once the car is made ready (ready means ready to drive) the 12 volt battery plays no part in the vehicle operation and is on charge This charge starts at a higher rate depending on the amount of discharge and drops back to 12.8 volts once charged.

The 12 volt battery is used in an emergency if the hybrid system fails for whatever reason it is used for power steering "although if the battery is unknowingly weak power steering is quickly lost" and possibly the brake hydraulics although this has a capacitor bank to run it in an emergency if the 12 volt system is lost completely.

The batteries I am using do have a good reputation here in the UK and my experience of them thus far backs this up even if only with 8 years of cumulative results.

Finally I am not trying to discredit your input, it is welcome, but your first post was full of words with no facts and this sort of thing makes us all suspicious of a new poster.

John (Britprius)

13. Monius

Monius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi John,

I have been designing and testing Flooded and AGM batteries for numerous years and also ensure our technical support and warranty departments are running well. At the moment, we are concentrating our efforts to design a new type of negative plate grid, with the help of different universities in North America and Japan.

I welcome all positive comments from this forum. At first, I did not want to get too complicated or "in-depth" in the subject. Now, I realize that I was vague in my first comments. I guess I can blame the long hours working in the lab :)

Regards,

Monius

kenoarto, ftl, mosesk and 1 other person like this.
  14. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    John- what does ECU stand for?

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Electronic Control Unit. ECU

John (Britprius)

Ramanjit81 likes this.
  16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you for your response. Your input is most welcome. I guess you work for Eastern Battery Systems in Moncton.

John (Britprius)

17. Monius

Monius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi John, Eastern Battery Systems is a distributor of batteries. I don't work for them ;)

Rolls Battery - Home is who I work for.

Thank you,

Monius

GrumpyCabbie and mosesk like this.
  18. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Civility at it's finest!

Britprius likes this.
  19. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Monius- can you get me a deal on a Rolls...battery...or better yet the entire vehicle...???
    Thanks for your contribution...

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think the nearest you will get to owning a Rolls will be a ham or bacon.;)

John (Britprius)

kenoarto and mosesk like this.